Bug Report OBS can't stream from my Hauppage PVR HD gaming edition!

Garin

Hello! I'd like to share my results with this interesting version of OBS.

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU / 60fps)

http://www.twitch.tv/gourmetgarin/b/593317921

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Xbox360 / 30fps)

http://www.twitch.tv/gourmetgarin/b/591756165

It doesn't seem that bad, but I think my performance is pretty poor compared to Rashbanor or Josh D. What am I doing wrong? Our PC specs are pretty much the same (mine is a GTX 770 though), and my current configuration is as follows:

http://gyazo.com/b95e4abd0c976f6b7604bcd8b2e3a0c8

http://gyazo.com/b7557dda50700f5c68b7d7830bbeb2ea

(Base resolution of WiiU IS 720P).

And I wanted to say something else. No matter the bitrate I put, it's always around 4000 kb/s when it comes to streaming. Is that already fixed?

http://gyazo.com/95196f5dbfaef31c3c1c2a52a6ad8c00

And that is all. Thank you so much to the OBS team for taking into account that there are a few people who unfortunately own this utterly piece of garbage, the PVR 2.

I just want to go on record to say that I'm sooooo excited about the OBS crew and want to congratulate them for the work they've done so far, I too am looking forward to them breathing new life into the PVR2. All that's left I suppose is to be able to buffer the video on the webcam so it syncs with the audio and we're golden. Don't know bout anyone else but I hit refresh on this thread daily if not more.

Garin

Greetings once again! I would like to report something.

OBS crashes whenever I finish a recording. The footage itself is saved, though. And it seems I can't create a log file. :/

Regarding the bitrate, I mentioned earlier that I can not pass the 4000 mark. Is there any way to increase it? My PC can afford a bitrate of 6500 pretty easily, I think.

Thank you very much!

GillyMoMo

Has it been reported that the Happauge Rocket works with this as well? I tested it and it works great. Of course this is still in Alpha stage, I might add I did this in Windows. I hope this further helps with the develing. Again I am trying to learn the code and taking my time. I hope this helps.

mkdr

Now you see what I was talking about (= Last build for Windows was ~3 months ago, and he never released another Win32 compilation afer the one people were begging for, calls it "multiplatform" but just always releases new versions for Mac.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Garin - log files are stored in %appdata%\obs-studio\logs if you need them. The log uploader is probably what's not working.

mkdir - I love you, you realize that I hope. As I said, I did make the mistake of underestimating the work in in regards to those devices, I had confidence up the wazoo, but the devices are far more painful to implement than I realized. Ask any developer who's used directshow what it's like to program with directshow and they'll all answer the same thing: it's horrible. It's a nightmare, and this doesn't even include encoded devices. Encoded devices are far worse, not just because accessing them is extremely painful, but also because of their inherent delay and inconsistency in the data they return. They not only have to be demuxed by decoded. It's extremely painful. Of course that's going to end up on the backburner for a long time.

Also, in regard to progress, if you've kept any sort of eye on the repository, you'll see that the game capture branch (with a bunch of new features) was just recently completed and is undergoing code review.

Please keep in mind that I am the sole person working on the windows side of things right now. I want to do it right, and I will do it right. I'm not going to half-ass it just to make you happy. I'd rather have rock solid software rather than duct-tape things together like I did with OBS1 just to get things finished faster.

If you are experienced with C/C++ feel free to join us and help me finish it up faster. Though drop the attitude before you do.

speedruntrainer

Hello.
I have a problem with it, sound doesn't work. I use OBS 0.5.1 from the link in page 6 of this thread.
I use a HD PVR 1. (Not sure if it's Gaming Edition though.)

CasualLuxury

I am not sure if my situation is different from everyone else who is using the Hauppage capture cards but mine is currently working with OBS while streaming twitch.

I have an HDPVR2 that I am using with my xbox one. I am not sure if it is the gaming edition or not I am also not sure if that even matters.

When I have OBS pulled up I have to set up the capture card and all it brings up is a red box. I also set up a window capture above the capture card.

I downloaded the newest Hauppage capture software and linked my twitch account to it. I open the stream tab and select start card or start stream I am not sure which it is but you can't miss it. This will power up your capture card and you should now see video in the viewing portion of the Hauppage capture software. Your stream will not be on Twitch yet because you will have to hit that button again for it to go live but I don't recommend using this software for streaming. I only use it for the screen preview it provides.

I use the window capture and select the portion of the viewing screen on the Hauppage capture device and voilà.

I know it is not optimal and it is a screen capture rather than capturing from the source but it works and it looks a lot better than trying to stream it live to Twitch with the Hauppage software. So until Hauppage cards are supported via OBS this is probably your best option to get you going.

Hope this helps! I am not at home on my PC or this would be a lot more detailed but if someone needs more detail feel free to ask and I will see what I can do.

@CasualLuzury... That method you speak of is what most of us here have done or don't want to do, which is why this thread exists, the devs currently got it working, but now it seems that webcams' audio and video don't sync up, so we have to wait for them to fix that or implement a video buffer so we can sync it manually. However, if you don't use webcams you can download the current OBS that works, the link is several pages back.

GillyMoMo

I would need 2 less monitors in my setup (or they could be better used either way), because of that. I have tested the redux with mine stuff and it works great, but alas is in a very very alpha stage for software. I am trying to help but I am having trouble trying to find a IDE to look at the code and there is quite a bit of coding that goes with it. Until then patience is of virtue.

vttym

Just joined to post that I want to thank Jim for his work on this. I just got an Hauppauge for Christmas, and was hoping to record direct from the unit without using screen capture, not realizing that OBS was not going to let that happen. I became a bit worried until searches landed me here, and I was able to successfully record the way I think this device was intended. Yes, there is a 1-2 second delay between what I'm saying in my webcam and what shows on the screen. I can live with that for now, knowing that there's still work being done on this.

So thank you again, Jim, for ensuring that I didn't remain frustrated for long with the red screen of death.

Billy mcfloy

Awesome work so far. I just got finished with my new setup and hp dvr 2 didn't work with the current obs and was sad until i found this thread. Would be perfect with the webcam/mic sync up.

Enterres

Hello, just finally got my Happauge working with OBS .5 and Xbox360 by using the developers build link here. Was really excited to see video finally appearing - i didn't even need the Happauge capture software anymore it was auto detected - but i am experiencing constant crashes.

Streamed for a few hours and it was crashing every 10 minutes at least. Even when i was just idling.

If my log files would help please let me know where to submit them otherwise i just want to chirp in that i am also looking forward to a stable OBS build. In the meantime i will try some window captures. If anyone has advice my twitch.tv stream name is the same message me anytime.

vttym

Thanks for the update, dodgepong - good to see work is still being done! Is there a changelog for the new features? I didn't see anything in the ZIP or in the release post.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Compatibility update? I'm not sure what you mean. The build that I just linked to is the latest test build, which should work with Hauppauge devices.

Jan Carlos

Mkdr, you can complain and demand anything when you're a paying user. When you got stuff for free you have to learn to be polite and - at most - ask for certain features.
Jim, please don't waste your time on responding to frustrated complainers posts. Majority of us really appreciate your work and we have a crapload of respect for you as a dev.

BTW, that Win OBS MP build published couple of post above just... works. I extracted the archive, launched the exe, added my PVR2, tested Twitch streaming and it worked with no crashes or lags. It's great! Thanks Jim! :)
I'm not able to pick any downsampling filter but I guess that's not implemented yet, right?

Hey man, how do I add the files exactly?