OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

TrueGamingHQ

well i have a problem this just happened today. i was forced to do a refresh of windows 10 because my usb soundcard would make windows recording device tab freeze up and i would get the error "windows common dll has stopped working" everything i tried didn't seem to work so i'm going to assume it was a bad driver install with the sound card anyway i just got my pc up and running again and downloaded the lastest driver for my amd video card which is 15.7 after which i rebooted my pc and redownloaded this branch of obs when i went to encoder options amd vce is blanked out why is this? i have a gcn capable gpu. my gpu is the A8-4500M with AMD Radeon HD 7640G Graphics Processor. and btw i did notice that you said amd droped vce support for 15.7 drivers and is using the amf which is what i was using before this all happened

*EDIT* i didnt install the redist packages my bad i just installed them and its working fine again :D

Last edited:

Nove

@Nove
have in mind that 1080p60 is MAX your GPU can handle in Speed or Balanced Preset - but give it a try ;)

FIRST you have to open AMD Radeon Settings and create a profile for the game.exe (in /bin folder) of Warface and activate it -> set Frame-target-control to ~62-75Hz (depending on your GPU-load) & Quality of Texture-filtering to Performance (because its faster)

u NEED Screen-capture otherwise it wont work

1080p60
bitrate min 35000 (and no need for strict custom-buffer) // better 50000
&&
Nove-local.jpg

CHANGE minQP 15 & maxQP 25-35 (pls check your GPU load)

if laggy try set AMD AMF settings to Speed and MV Search-range 16/16 and also try IME Search Range 1/1

here i recorded 720p60 3400/565 -> so your will look way better and wont get blurry
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Nove-stream-720p60-3400-565.mp4
Thanks, but im having a couple issues. First issue, setting it to 65-75hz feels laggy to me because I play on a 144hz monitor, so would bumping it back up to 144hz in the AMD Radeon settings mess up these recording settings? Also when I try to record I get this error: Failed to Map D3D11 Texture - Out of Memory. I tried changing the AMF Engine type to host, and that got rid of the error but the recording was bugged and it was just a still flickering image.

Thanks, but im having a couple issues. First issue, setting it to 65-75hz feels laggy to me because I play on a 144hz monitor, so would bumping it back up to 144hz in the AMD Radeon settings mess up these recording settings? Also when I try to record I get this error: Failed to Map D3D11 Texture - Out of Memory. I tried changing the AMF Engine type to host, and that got rid of the error but the recording was bugged and it was just a still flickering image.

While there is no inherit issue with you using 144hz refresh rate, the problem is your graphics card can't handle doing that and recording at the same time, hence the Out of Memory error (If I am understanding the error correctly) due to the memory bandwidth on your GPU being completely full.

To note: The H.264 interface on your card being GCN 1.0 model has to be able to handle the resolution (Given the right scenario, it can)
The memory bandwidth on your card has to be able to handle the resolution and the data being sent, not just by your game, as well as the H.264 controller on your GPU.

When you switch to Host engine type, I am guessing you still get the error (If you look at your log files) it just doesn't forcibly hang the program on you as your CPU is still sending the data to your GPU VRAM, which goes back to the above problem.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, am still learning and there is a lot to learn :)

Nove

While there is no inherit issue with you using 144hz refresh rate, the problem is your graphics card can't handle doing that and recording at the same time, hence the Out of Memory error (If I am understanding the error correctly) due to the memory bandwidth on your GPU being completely full.

To note: The H.264 interface on your card being GCN 1.0 model has to be able to handle the resolution (Given the right scenario, it can)
The memory bandwidth on your card has to be able to handle the resolution and the data being sent, not just by your game, as well as the H.264 controller on your GPU.

When you switch to Host engine type, I am guessing you still get the error (If you look at your log files) it just doesn't forcibly hang the program on you as your CPU is still sending the data to your GPU VRAM, which goes back to the above problem.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, am still learning and there is a lot to learn :)
I was also getting this error even when I set it to 60hz in the settings.

dping

host uses host memory. other methods tend to use GPU memory

dping

hi, I'm trying to encode my stream with vce, I have an a4-5300b apu, which according to this wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_accelerated_processing_unit_microprocessors has vce 1.0 yet when I go to my encoding options vce is greyed out and cant be selected, why ? thankyou

Virgo: "Trinity" (2012, 32 nm):
GPU (based on VLIW4 architecture) instruction support:

A4-5300B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

search for Radeon HD 7480D which is the internal GPU in the A4-5300

VLIW4 is PreGNC so no, not from what I see.

Last edited:

dping

in the table at the top of my link it clearly says trinity has vce 1.0, my apu is trinity so has 1.0

Not all charts are correct and clearly there is conflicting info on the wiki which is why I referenced the GPU internal to your APU.

Code:
Radeon HD 7480D    1 June 2012    Scrapper    TeraScale 3    32    723    128:8:4    Unknown    Unknown    128    DDR3-1600    25.6    185    11.0    4.4    1.2    Unknown    65    A4-4000, A4-5300

And if you like something more official:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/7400m

note that it states App accelerate which is an early OpenCL version of video decoding, not dedicated hardware like VCE is.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just saying after looking, it was an obvious misprint in jackun's post.

jackun

Developer
Guys, forget about anything in the OpenVideo Encoder settings groupbox, lol, unless you use OVE with old pre-Cat15.7 drivers.

jackun

Developer
Some MMO games with anti-cheats (the game I tested using XIGNCODE3) will consider this as a cheat and close the game, using the original OBS won't cause this problem, hope you can fix this.
I keep forgetting to test this, but you can try copying the hooking DLLs from original OBS in \plugins\GraphicsCapture IIRC. They probably do some hash checksum check or whatever.

seronx

@POV for A4-5300B
-> Make sure you are on 16.7.2 or most recent drivers.
-> This is where disclosure comes beware this has a slim(<1%) possibility of bricking your system;
Update your BIOS.
Particularly you want a new BIOS that has these updated;
-> OROM VBIOS Scrapper
-> EFI GOP Scrapper

That should turn on VCE.

Last edited:

POV

@POV for A4-5300B
-> Make sure you are on 16.7.2 or most recent drivers.
-> This is where disclosure comes beware this has a slim(<1%) possibility of bricking your system;
Update your BIOS.
Particularly you want a new BIOS that has these updated;
-> OROM VBIOS Scrapper
-> EFI GOP Scrapper

That should turn on VCE.
thanks for the info, how do I update my bios ?

blackrabbits

Has anyone tried using the latest with a 390x? Able to record at 1080p60fps? The OP makes it look like a 390x can record at 720/60, but there's an AMD slide deck that seems to indicate that it's much higher.