OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Benman2785

that dll crashes my OBS when I try to get into the encoding settings :)
edit: hmm, now it crashes everytime...
if you want the crashdump, message me, guess I would have to reboot to check if that fixes it for the moment. did a short test yesterday and one earlier today without problems.

i assume you are new to VCE
you have to unzip OBS VCE into a new folder -> it contains all you need and most of OBS settings should be shared via windows - if not simply export them from you normal OBS and import them into OBS VCE

Has anybody got decent VCE local recording settings for consistently smooth (No stuttering/hitching) 1080p60fps for Battlefield 4? I can get smooth game play recording on TDM maps, not on conquest large maps, get a fair amount of hitching no matter what...

This is in reference for a R9 290X (GCN 1.1, VCE 2.0)

File size is not of importance, have spent several days' worth of time tinkering and just can't get it down to a nice setting with reasonable graphical fidelity.

Benman2785

Has anybody got decent VCE local recording settings for consistently smooth (No stuttering/hitching) 1080p60fps for Battlefield 4? I can get smooth game play recording on TDM maps, not on conquest large maps, get a fair amount of hitching no matter what...

This is in reference for a R9 290X (GCN 1.1, VCE 2.0)

File size is not of importance, have spent several days' worth of time tinkering and just can't get it down to a nice setting with reasonable graphical fidelity.

try
gcn1.2%2B_CQP_tweaked-balanced.png

(maybe reduce minQP maxQP to 15)

i shouldnt matter what bitrate you declared on codec

have in mind you may have to lower detail or AA to reduce stuttering

dping

that dll crashes my OBS when I try to get into the encoding settings :)
edit: hmm, now it crashes everytime...
if you want the crashdump, message me, guess I would have to reboot to check if that fixes it for the moment. did a short test yesterday and one earlier today without problems.
Check the front page for instructions. make sure you have ALL prerequisites. second, update your driver to crimson

@Benman2785
try...
gcn1.2%2B_CQP_tweaked-balanced.png

(maybe reduce minQP maxQP to 15)

i shouldnt matter what bitrate you declared on codec

have in mind you may have to lower detail or AA to reduce stuttering

Bitrate won't matter at all in encoding settings as Constrained QP is effectively VBR without a ceiling... It tries to hold a set quality defined by Min & Max QP values.

Unfortunately even with tweaking of values, it looks and records worse in terms of quality and wanting that 'buttery-smooth' playback.

At present, am using the below settings which give quality and performance, the only issue is motion (Stuttering)
c4gxxYU.png

I have found through testing that for me Battlefield 4 recordings are far smoother with DX9 engine type.

Encoding bitrate is @50Mbit/s as well. With those settings as seeing some peak towards 60Mbit/s and drops towards 40Mbit/s.

Ironically if I relax the settings to lessen GPU load it appears to do it regardless...

The stuttering can be seen in the following YouTube upload:

locodicegr

I had stuttering in my recordings (R9 380) with alsmot every program not only obs.

I said it before, the implementation of VCE or whatever is called is bad...in every program

because there is no communication from AMD - Dev's ... and thats bad for the company.

I had stuttering in my recordings (R9 380) with alsmot every program not only obs.

I said it before, the implementation of VCE or whatever is called is bad...in every program

because there is no communication from AMD - Dev's ... and thats bad for the company.

There is a definite lack of communication on AMD's side, that is for sure. They are however trying desperately at present to regain control of an effective free-fall of the GPU market that is going straight into nVidia's dirty hands...

minijester

Currently I am using an AMD Raedon HD7850 with the latest driver: raedon-crimson-16.3.2

When I check "use AMD AMF instead of OVE" every time I try and record OBS crashes. If I use OVE instead I can record however the footage is very blurry and pixelated no matter what bit rate I use.

I am using CBR no padding, a max bitrate of 20000 and custom buffersize of 0.

Benman2785

Currently I am using an AMD Raedon HD7850 with the latest driver: raedon-crimson-16.3.2

When I check "use AMD AMF instead of OVE" every time I try and record OBS crashes. If I use OVE instead I can record however the footage is very blurry and pixelated no matter what bit rate I use.

I am using CBR no padding, a max bitrate of 20000 and custom buffersize of 0.

use DDU to uninstall driver - reinstall and it should work

Benman2785

@BornDownUnder

well - u have to lower GPU load and have memory bandwith in mind -> so reduce AA and/or detail and you will see there wont be any lags at all (but 1080p60 is only GCN1.2+)

and quality should be much better with the settings i provided you -> because now you take "streamable" minQP maxQP -> that lowers qualtiy

check again if you set something wrong...

here a vid in that settings: http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/rattacko123-CQP_15-15.mp4

Last edited:

Benman2785

well that problem is "fixed" AMD Devs and OBS Devs now talk together

and a R9 380(X) is pretty capable of capturing stuff in 1080p60 - but have in mind it still need some GPU load to do its magic -> best would be Game takes ~65% and still 500mb Vram left...

locodicegr

well that problem is "fixed" AMD Devs and OBS Devs now talk together

and a R9 380(X) is pretty capable of capturing stuff in 1080p60 - but have in mind it still need some GPU load to do its magic -> best would be Game takes ~65% and still 500mb Vram left...

So they finally talk each other? Its confirmed?
Because i aksed on twitter but didnt get any respond...
If its confirmed that they talk....well then thats good news and we have to wait for some updates!

xsimbyx

Not sure what the problem is here. Rober Hallock went out of its way to get in contact with someone from OBS. He even gave out his email.

So blaming AMD here is somewhat puzzling.

Ngqx5pX.png

locodicegr

There has been no contact outside of a handful of tweets at this point.

VCE is already supported in OBS-Studio, through Media Foundation.

Not sure what the problem is here. Rober Hallock went out of its way to get in contact with someone from OBS. He even gave out his email.

So blaming AMD here is somewhat puzzling.

Ngqx5pX.png

Robert Hallock 12 Hours Ago ''I asked them to email me. I gave them my email address. Nothing else I can do.''

Cheers and sorry for spaming this all the time, but i want VCE improvements.