OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Benman2785

@Nove
have in mind that 1080p60 is MAX your GPU can handle in Speed or Balanced Preset - but give it a try ;)

FIRST you have to open AMD Radeon Settings and create a profile for the game.exe (in /bin folder) of Warface and activate it -> set Frame-target-control to ~62-75Hz (depending on your GPU-load) & Quality of Texture-filtering to Performance (because its faster)

u NEED Screen-capture otherwise it wont work

1080p60
bitrate min 35000 (and no need for strict custom-buffer) // better 50000
&&
Nove-local.jpg

CHANGE minQP 15 & maxQP 25-35 (pls check your GPU load)

if laggy try set AMD AMF settings to Speed and MV Search-range 16/16 and also try IME Search Range 1/1

here i recorded 720p60 3400/565 -> so your will look way better and wont get blurry
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Nove-stream-720p60-3400-565.mp4

Benman2785

here is a TEST about 720p60 streaming CSGO on twitch.tv @"Half pixel ME serarch" and @"Quarter pixel ME search"

720p60 Bitrate/Buffer = 3400/565 || game-capture with Anti-Cheat-Hook
Encoder-Settings
!_recommended_OBS_VCE_60FPS_half-ME-search.jpg

here WITH "Quarter pixel ME search" checked (less GPU load)
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/csgo_720p60_3400-565_checked_quarterPixelMEsearch.mp4

here WITHOUT "Quarter pixel ME search" (should look better - little more GPU load)
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/csgo_720p60_3400-565_unchecked_quarterPixelMEsearch.mp4

that is what my stream would look like - no high peaks & no dropped frames ;)

locodicegr

Just in case anyone was wondering why it's still not in the main obs-studio release:

I see people saying that the media foundation version is terrible. I am aware that the media foundation encoder is terrible. Media foundation encoders really really suck. Don't worry, I know. We were able to replace the NVENC/QSV media foundation encoders with native ones because nvidia/intel gave them compatible licenses with open source software, but we still can't just outright distribute full VCE support (merge jackun's awesome stuff) because AMD hasn't yet made it compatible. It's mostly just licensing/copyright issues at this point.

Well I could actually merge it, I just couldn't release it in binary form, would have to be disabled when compiling main OBS releases. Maybe we can at least merge it.

I might actually try to email AMD to see if they can get this issue hammered out somehow. I really do want to merge jackun's stuff.

(You should hang out with us more jackun, I never see you around the chats)

Any news? Whats the situation right now?

There was a conversation about VCE with robert hallock on twitter today
maybe you can contact him.

here is the tweet:

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/752736445031342080

Hope it helps!

Edit: ''If there's some sort of licensing hurdle, they should contact me. We can resolve'' by Robert Hallock on twitter link that i send you!

Last edited:

dping

Any news? Whats the situation right now?

There was a conversation about VCE with robert hallock on twitter today
maybe you can contact him.

here is the tweet:

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/752736445031342080

Hope it helps!

Edit: ''If there's some sort of licensing hurdle, they should contact me. We can resolve'' by Robert Hallock on twitter link that i send you!
good detective work. Robert is a cool guy, spends time on reddit and twitter talking about people's concerns

rattacko123

Does VCE have CQP like NVENC? I am planning on switching to an AMD GPU and I want to know if I can set quality control like NVENC, as I dont want a set bitrate

locodicegr

good detective work. Robert is a cool guy, spends time on reddit and twitter talking about people's concerns

Im trying to help dude, i want improvements on VCE for my card ( R9 380 / GCN 1.2 )
So i can record properly without drops.

Does VCE have CQP like NVENC? I am planning on switching to an AMD GPU and I want to know if I can set quality control like NVENC, as I dont want a set bitrate

Yes VCE have CQP if im not mistaken.

Benman2785

@rattacko123

EDIT:
checked it again - it works -> i upload a video and bitrate-check now ;)
rattacko123-CQP_15-15.jpg

http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/rattacko123-CQP_15-15.mp4 (850mb)

@locodicegr

R9 380 works fine with AMD VCE -> you just have to know what you want to do -> have in mind that setting your b-frames to 3 will provide better quality due to better compression (so more bitrate left for i- and p-frames)

R9 380(X) + Fury(X) & Nano + RX 480 should handle 4k30 or 1440p60 in good quality ;)

Last edited:

locodicegr

@rattacko123

EDIT:
checked it again - it works -> i upload a video and bitrate-check now ;)
rattacko123-CQP_15-15.jpg

http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/rattacko123-CQP_15-15.mp4 (850mb)

@locodicegr

R9 380 works fine with AMD VCE -> you just have to know what you want to do -> have in mind that setting your b-frames to 3 will provide better quality due to better compression (so more bitrate left for i- and p-frames)

R9 380(X) + Fury(X) & Nano + RX 480 should handle 4k30 or 1440p60 in good quality ;)

There is still room for improvements right?

So what settings do you recommend for my card?

Robert wanted to communicate with someone from here about the vce problems,

I hope the devs of obs get in contact with him.

Cheers.

Benman2785

There is still room for improvements right?

So what settings do you recommend for my card?

Robert wanted to communicate with someone from here about the vce problems,

I hope the devs of obs get in contact with him.

Cheers.

well its just 720p60 with 15-15 CQP on a GCN1.0 card -> so there is a lot of room for improvements ;)

you still havent told WHAT YOU WANT TO RECORD - twtich.tv stream or LOCAL recording (for maybe YouTube) - when we know that we can tweak alot

//

i will try to write Robert and Erin to bring them together with Jim (OBS Dev)

locodicegr

well its just 720p60 with 15-15 CQP on a GCN1.0 card -> so there is a lot of room for improvements ;)

you still havent told WHAT YOU WANT TO RECORD - twtich.tv stream or LOCAL recording (for maybe YouTube) - when we know that we can tweak alot

//

i will try to write Robert and Erin to bring them together with Jim (OBS Dev)

Local recordings in various games for youtube! (just for hobby)

Here is the conversation: https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/752985630964015104 .

They need to get in contact so they can fix it somehow.

Lets get this think going :p

And thanks!

Benman2785

@locodicegr

record in 720p60 or 1080p60? and what quality or filesize you prefer? or does filesize not matter and only quality and fps?
usually much is also affected by memory bandwith - especially i have problems with 60FPS in some Memory-intensive Scenes with my GCN1.0 card

try:
gcn1.2%2B_CQP_tweaked-balanced.png

and say if u like it ;)

brucethemoose

So, i saw that OBS dev respond to the Robert's tweet...

I hope they get in contact to sort things out!

Fingers Crossed!!!!!!

I mentioned it a few pages back, but at the RX480 release, AMD listed OBS as a VCE compatible application.

So I'm fairly certain they've had plans to contact the OBS devs for some time. I wouldn't worry about it.

dping

I mentioned it a few pages back, but at the RX480 release, AMD listed OBS as a VCE compatible application.

So I'm fairly certain they've had plans to contact the OBS devs for some time. I wouldn't worry about it.

When I asked about that powerpoint, jim had not seen or even heard of it. If the slides were a legit slide, they did it without speaking to anyone from OBS first. Not illegal just something to note.

In the end, I'm sure this will just bring greater support to OBS.

locodicegr

I dont think they contact OBS dev, they are bad at this thing (amd)

The slides were just made by the PR...they have no idea that vce have problems.

They think ''its working great''....

k0ch1a

Some MMO games with anti-cheats (the game I tested using XIGNCODE3) will consider this as a cheat and close the game, using the original OBS won't cause this problem, hope you can fix this.

olie Murphy

that dll crashes my OBS when I try to get into the encoding settings :)
edit: hmm, now it crashes everytime...
if you want the crashdump, message me, guess I would have to reboot to check if that fixes it for the moment. did a short test yesterday and one earlier today without problems.