OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Hi all, first post on OBS forums for me...

I would like to get your opinion on my current OBS settings and any tips on improvements for quality/performance would be nice:
A several minute video to show settings at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwrQokqBXc&feature=youtu.be

And here is a link to pics of my current OBS settings:
http://imgur.com/a/qYjLw

My PC specs are as follows:
i5-2500 non-k
8GB DDR3 RAM @1866Mhz
256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (Game and recordings at present)
Sapphire Tri-X r9 290x OC 4GB - Core: 1040Mhz, Mem: 1300Mhz
BenQ 24" 1080p 60hz monitor
Game settings are Ultra minus AA @1080p and capped @60fps, as I use ReShade to enhance game quality.

As prior, your opinion on my current OBS settings and any tips would be very much appreciated!

CATALINTEREC

Hello everybody
Can somebody recomend me obs settings for livestreamin on youtube at 720p 60fps please
Specs:
Athlon x4 860k
8gb ram ddr3
Amd r7 250x
Upload: 6 mbps
Thank you

CATALINTEREC

@Benman and where i can find those settings? Because i'm kinda noob with forums.
And also what settings you recomend in advanced tab for 720 p 60 fps stream?

CATALINTEREC

@Benman2785 I looked in the last pages but I couldn't find any setting because i want to stream 720p 60 fps on youtube not on twitch.All the settinga i saw were for twitch only.And as far as I know you need other settings for streaming on youtube and i couldn't find those settings.
Maybe you can upload a photo with some settings or something if i can ask :)

Benman2785

@CATALINTEREC

maybe u have read - but you havent understood :p

OBS_VCE_encoder_settings_IPP6.jpg

BUT you change GOP size to 1/2 FPS -> so GOP 30
AND you change IDR to 2x FPS -> so IDR 120

and for youtube you choose up to 8000kbps bitrate -> but due to you only have 6mbit upload you should deal with 4200kbps video bitrate + 128kbps aac audio and a custom buffersize of 699 -> so you will still have 1mbit left for your game even while peaks

the advanced settings just change slightly for gcn1.0-1.1 - only gcn1.2 cards will do its magic for 1080p60 in quality or even 4k30

all you have to worry about is bitrate (fiting your upload speed and plattform) AND GOP/IDR

for GCN1.2 cards you may play with b-frames - but i cant help you on that (yet)

ps i will go to bed now - its 2.05 am here

Benman2785

@Benman2785 with these settings is my game suposed to frame drop like hell and fps drop from 150-200 to 30-50 while streaming?

dude u have an r7 250 -> its a low-end gpu and have in mind that VCE takes some load on GPU
and if u want to stream in 60 FPS it takes even more GPU

you can try to use the settings from Balanced OR even Speed Preset - these will reduce load on gpu, but video quality will go down

maybe stream in 720p30 -> will also reduce gpu-load (leave GOP at 30 and set IDR to 60)
maybe even reduce GOP to 15 and i pic period to 0 or 5 => again less gpu load in 30 fps

maybe buy a rx480 or cheap r9 380x to improve your streaming ;)

Benman2785

@CATALINTEREC

what is your minQP maxQP?

maybe go down to 22 and 52 - should also reduce load on GPU

have in mind your R7 250X is an ~5 years old HD7770 (GCN1.0) and even then it was just low-midrange card

i have a HD7970 -> flagship of GCN1.0 and this card is now just a mid-low-range card -> a R9 380X is a little stronger and has MUCH better VCE

ps we have GCN1.3 now with Fury(X), Nano, RX480 and also the R9 380X

---

when you buy a GPU you have to decide if u stay 3-5 years with one card or if you switch cards all 2-3 years -> im team 3-5 years, so i buy the flagship (factory oced custom design) and then i wait min 3-5 years for a new flagship to come out -> this will be Vega now
if you change all 2-3 years you take a nice mid-range card that is nicely priced -> like now a RX 480 would be nice (but better wait for a nice Custom-Design - maybe with a nice factory OC (1400-1600MHz should be possible))

if you stream you may should change all 2-3 years to maintain "newest" HardwareEncoder capability -> better resolution or better quality or better compression -> many improvements possible

Last edited:

Laurember

Hey guys! First post, really wanted to ask @Benman2785 .. What settings do you recommend for 720p60fps with an R9 290? I've tried 1080p60fps before but looks like my card can't handle it, it looks like 45Fps sometimes or it stutters, sometimes it doesn't even record smoothly, freezes and stuff, so I'd better go for 720p60fps or ask for your advice to see if I can reach 1080p60fps with decent quality, I'm at "stock" settings. Thanks in advance.

CPU: FX 8320@4.3Ghz

Benman2785

@Laurember

GCN1.0-1.1 cards cant handle 1080p60 other than SPEED-Preset as Jackun stated in the post where u downloaded his fork :p

now we need to know if you want to record local or stream (and to which platform) ;)

usually u can read 4 posts above your post -> says alot about 720p60 and you have a picture for most settings

but u can try to set it with SPEED Preset and we can try to tweak this settings - but it may still be more blurry than balanced...

jackun

Developer
It's a weird thing indeed. Happens with CBR but oddly enough not with CQP (that I've seen).
This seems to work around it:
  1. Enable CBR padding
  2. and if padding is not needed by your streaming service, especially if doing local recordings only, check the "Discard Filler NALs" so it doesn't kill your upload speed / disk space.

DerAwesumdude

Hey,
I got a brand new rx480 and I always get more than the limit of fps when I'm streaming. That didn't happen with my old 7970. Can you help me? And another question: [Here] I got the information, that my new card can use 2-pass encoding for streaming. What about that?

Thanks in advance,
DerAwesumdude

Benman2785

Hey,
I got a brand new rx480 and I always get more than the limit of fps when I'm streaming. That didn't happen with my old 7970. Can you help me? And another question: [Here] I got the information, that my new card can use 2-pass encoding for streaming. What about that?

Thanks in advance,
DerAwesumdude

Polaris can do 2-pass, but i dont know if it is implemented yet -> ask Jackun pls
also it has advanced b-frame support -> u can improve compression

do you mean u set to 60FPS but you get more FPS in your stream? that is also something Jackun has to figure out - but please provide some logs ;)
also please show us your settings

off-topic: deutscher?

DerAwesumdude

Polaris can do 2-pass, but i dont know if it is implemented yet -> ask Jackun pls
also it has advanced b-frame support -> u can improve compression

do you mean u set to 60FPS but you get more FPS in your stream? that is also something Jackun has to figure out - but please provide some logs ;)
also please show us your settings

Here are my settings:

How can I enable advanced b-frame support in OBS VCE?

@jackun is 2-pass already implemented? :D

And no, I meant that I got more bitrate than I've set the limit to. For example I get peaks around 5800 kbits even if I set the settings to max. 2800. That didn't happen before.

The bitrate is no problem for me - my connection can handle it, but I guess it sucks for my viewers :D
panel-32346917-image-26fa479b42a61b0c-320.png

Here is the latest log.

off-topic: deutscher?

yup ;)

dping

Here are my settings:

And no, I meant that I got more bitrate than I've set the limit to. For example I get peaks around 5800 kbits even if I set the settings to max. 2800. That didn't happen before.

The bitrate is no problem for me - my connection can handle it, but I guess it sucks for my viewers :D
panel-32346917-image-26fa479b42a61b0c-320.png

Here is the latest log.

yup ;)

VCE does not honor CBR for some reason, this goes back a long time. This is why it is recommended to do local recording with VCE.

2pass filter isn't yet a selectable option even though I believe there is a switch for it. @jackun might have to add it in the GUI if possible. Maybe enabled via hardware IDs of polaris or something clever.

jackun

Developer

1. Num(ber) of B-frames. There's a limit, check log if setting it failed or not. R9 290 max is 3 IIRC. There's something weird going on with it though since atleast Cat 15.11.1. B-frame sizes are weirdly large, in tens of kilobytes range.
2. Dunno about 2-pass, but AMD needs to release new Media SDK for that (and H265/HEVC). Looks to still be at v1.1

Benman2785

@DerAwesumdude

on what platform do u stream? twitch? then i recommend
OBS_VCE_codec_settings_3500kbps.jpg

maybe reduce audio to 128 AND set your Format proberly in WindowsAudio-Settings (better when they match)

custom-buffersize should also reduce peaks -> so set them like:
Bitrate-Buffersize.jpg

(https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/your-guide-for-achiving-a-strict-cbr-with-obs.4516/#post-37709)

as jackun said - numbers of b-frames are limited - i think a RX480 should be able to handle up to 4 (as R9 380X - GCN 1.3 card) -> just play around with it and please provide some sample videos ;)

i wait for hard-OCed custom-designs - so it will take a little until i can check VCE on RX 480 ;)

off-topic:
nachti ;)

DerAwesumdude

VCE does not honor CBR for some reason, ...

I always streamed with CBR working on my old HD7970 for about 1 year.

@Benman2785 I will try your settings. (Why is the puffer size so low?) Will reply today evening. How do you want the sample videos? Just random gameplay? Any special encoding settings? And I guess recorded gameplay has other settings than streamed one :D