OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Benman2785

@Carnag9

why dont you delete this and post this here again? ;)

ps i answered and hope i could help

ANSWER:
that is "normal" -> i also have this - but usually it is once all 2-5h, so it should be ok // sometimes when i load CSGO OBS crashes or when i start recording/streaming

ps try to check "Disable D3D/OpenCL interoperability" because Win8 or higher need that to be more stable
pps try the new version of OBS VCE (from 06/2016) - also try settings i provided

ppps please all who have Problems with Jackun's OBS VCE fork report on https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996/

Benman2785

@Andrei

this is already a "tweaked" balanced setting
OBS_VCE_encoder_settings_IPP6.jpg

ptr

obsvce_2016-06-12_2_32bit don't allow to select AMD VCE. What is wrong?

Attachments

• obs1.jpg
    obs1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36
  • obs1.jpg
    obs1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36

Benman2785

pls post a log

u have and R7 260X (GCN 1.1) - so it should work and you can capture 1080p60 in Balanced (but i wouldnt recommend that)

ptr

pls post a log

u have and R7 260X (GCN 1.1) - so it should work and you can capture 1080p60 in Balanced (but i wouldnt recommend that)
23:18:07: No Intel graphics adapter visible in QSVHelper.exe, Optimus problem?
23:18:07: Failed loading CUDA dll
23:18:07: VCE encoding with AMF.
23:18:07: clGetPlatformIDs() failed -1001
23:18:07:

ptr

if 1080p60 is possible why shouldnt it work with 30 FPS?

what do you want to do? stream on twitch in 1080p30? forget about it -> it will look shitty unless you are partner...
I needs stream to local file only.
But I can't do it, because AMD VCE still hidden in UI (

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Just in case anyone was wondering why it's still not in the main obs-studio release:

I see people saying that the media foundation version is terrible. I am aware that the media foundation encoder is terrible. Media foundation encoders really really suck. Don't worry, I know. We were able to replace the NVENC/QSV media foundation encoders with native ones because nvidia/intel gave them compatible licenses with open source software, but we still can't just outright distribute full VCE support (merge jackun's awesome stuff) because AMD hasn't yet made it compatible. It's mostly just licensing/copyright issues at this point.

Well I could actually merge it, I just couldn't release it in binary form, would have to be disabled when compiling main OBS releases. Maybe we can at least merge it.

I might actually try to email AMD to see if they can get this issue hammered out somehow. I really do want to merge jackun's stuff.

(You should hang out with us more jackun, I never see you around the chats)

Benman2785

@alicsandru

try the Balanced-Settings i provided some pages earlier - maybe use Speed-Preset due to load compute-power of R7 260X

@Jim
i know some people from AMD - maybe i can help you get in contact with the right people ;)

brucethemoose

@Jim

Just in case anyone was wondering why it's still not in the main obs-studio release:

I see people saying that the media foundation version is terrible. I am aware that the media foundation encoder is terrible. Media foundation encoders really really suck. Don't worry, I know. We were able to replace the NVENC/QSV media foundation encoders with native ones because nvidia/intel gave them compatible licenses with open source software, but we still can't just outright distribute full VCE support (merge jackun's awesome stuff) because AMD hasn't yet made it compatible. It's mostly just licensing/copyright issues at this point.

Well I could actually merge it, I just couldn't release it in binary form, would have to be disabled when compiling main OBS releases. Maybe we can at least merge it.

I might actually try to email AMD to see if they can get this issue hammered out somehow. I really do want to merge jackun's stuff.

(You should hang out with us more jackun, I never see you around the chats)

I read this in Tom's Polaris review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-2.html

The evolution of AMD’s Video Coding Engine isn’t documented quite as well. We know that Polaris can encode 8-bit HEVC at up to 4K60, but GCN 1.2-based GPUs are similarly-equipped. It does appear that AMD is working to expand the list of applications compatible with its VCE. The company’s own Gaming Evolved client is a natural match. But it also lists Open Broadcaster Software, which previously only supported QuickSync and NVEnc. Plays.tv is there as well, though that makes sense since it’s a social network from the same company responsible for the Gaming Evolved client.

Ya'll should reach out to AMD ASAP, sounds like they plan on reaching out to you anyway.

Also, speaking of Polaris... what's the word on the RX 480's shiny new video encoding block?