OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

TheGlow

I'll try that. I'm a complete noob with this. I just wanted to start recording some clips mainly from Overwatch and Street Fighter V. Nothing like streaming. What advantages does the VCE option have over x264?
Also unrelated to OBS, how can I edit a video to put a black square or something to black out text? Overwatch has the dumb RealID enabled so shows my friends real names in text.

Benman2785

I'll try that. I'm a complete noob with this. I just wanted to start recording some clips mainly from Overwatch and Street Fighter V. Nothing like streaming. What advantages does the VCE option have over x264?
Also unrelated to OBS, how can I edit a video to put a black square or something to black out text? Overwatch has the dumb RealID enabled so shows my friends real names in text.

if you dont stream you dont need Jackun's OBS VCE fork -> for recording only use OBS Studio with AMD VCE

VCE saves you ALOT of CPU-load -> that why its good for many scenarios

ps you need an AMD GCN 1.0 GPU or better -> min HD7xxx

jackun

Developer
Text source with extents enabled, probably, set BG opacity 100 or an image.

insatings

hi , any idea how to make my obs to use 2 keyframe instead of 4? Im always getting this from twitch " Max keyframe interval is currently at 4.0 seconds. Please set it to 2 seconds." I did try to set IME Search Range from 2 / 2 from 4 / 4 , it works for like 5 min then twitch reports again same error with they keyframe.
Sorry if I'm mini necroing,and if I'm being blind, but you said "it's fixed now" and I want to ask how because the way you said didn't work for me, unless I have to wait some time for obs settings to kick in. Thank you in advance!

Benman2785

Sorry if I'm mini necroing,and if I'm being blind, but you said "it's fixed now" and I want to ask how because the way you said didn't work for me, unless I have to wait some time for obs settings to kick in. Thank you in advance!

did you downloaded the new version from first post? (under latest binaries)

TheGlow

if you dont stream you dont need Jackun's OBS VCE fork -> for recording only use OBS Studio with AMD VCE

I didnt necessarily want it recording nonstop, just the buffering option. From what I heard Studio didnt support that yet.

TheGlow

I didnt necessarily want it recording nonstop, just the buffering option. From what I heard Studio didnt support that yet.

you can try enabling custom settings. Check "Disable D3D/Opencl interop" so that OpenCL is not used and set engine type to DX11. For some reason OpenCL forces GPU clocks to max even if it's downclocked.
No dice. If i just check off "Disable D3D/Opencl interop" it still crashes. If I check it off and Use custom parameters OBS crasehes with "Failed to map D3D11 texture: Out of memory.

jackun

Developer
@TheGlow so you're on windows 7? I can't remember if it gave this erroneous-ish out of memory error then.
And yep, other settings are ignore if "Use custom parameters" is uncheck.

Benman2785

well - all you need to know is in what GCN GPU u have; what resolution and frame-rate you want to capture and what bitrate you need // if you read the last 3-5 pages you will know what to do -> you can post your settings and i check them if you want // ps you should uncheck "use CBR" and find the fitting quality :)

TheGlow

@TheGlow so you're on windows 7? I can't remember if it gave this erroneous-ish out of memory error then.
And yep, other settings are ignore if "Use custom parameters" is uncheck.
Sorry, I thought when I mentioned I was using Windows 10 Game DVR that would give it away. Im on Window 10 64bit.

well - all you need to know is in what GCN GPU u have; what resolution and frame-rate you want to capture and what bitrate you need // if you read the last 3-5 pages you will know what to do -> you can post your settings and i check them if you want // ps you should uncheck "use CBR" and find the fitting quality :)
I mentioned in my first post I was on an r9 380. To be more specific the Sapphire Nitro w/ 4GB ram.
I was just trying to mimic the Win10Game Dvr which looks like 21000bps. 1920x1080, 30fps fine for now.
So yea, pretty much I was doing with default and saw the quality as god awful. So I raised max bitrate to 20000. changed output folder, Replay buffer length to 60 seconds. The rest is default.
V0.657b w/ x264 so far is working without any issues.
This is mostly just for personal use, to play around with and get a better understanding of it. I never really messed with audio and video much so looking to just learn more.
Im also on an i5-6600k @ 4.4 GHz. That's supposed to have an igpu. Does that play a part here since I dont think it's ever going to be used.
Edit: Ok, I've enabled my igpu and updated drivers and now have Quick Sync available. So for my simple needs this should be fine? From what I read it has less quality than x264 so I may need to bump up the bitrate a bit?

Last edited:

Benman2785

@TheGlow

just read the custom settings i posted here (not these with SPEED-Preset) and you will have a NICE video-quality - but have in mind, that usually the first GOP looks a little blurry with VCE, due to its an Hardware-Encoder

VCE isnt QuickSync - even if it does nearly the same - but its different magic
u can use QuickSync, but i cant help you with it (ps it has litterly "not much" settings - just 3 i think)

main advantage of Jackun's OBS VCE fork is that you can tune your hardware-encoder to fit your needs -> so there are LOTS of settings you can do

1080p30 will look great with 21000kbps (not bps - because 210kbps isnt even enough for pretty 360p25) - even on hardware-encoders like VCE, QuickSync or Shadowplay -> but you need usually 5-15% more bitrate with them -> BUT 21000kbps is fine with VCE

Stilgarius

Hello Guys.
Do You know what GCN will be RX 480? Will it work with VCE at release date?
Im curious, because I'm going to change GPU in some time.

Benman2785

@Andrei
pls check if "Force IME search window center to [0,0]" is enabled
you found it under custom parameters

its just the mid that is blurry and pixly // so maybe this will fix it

@Stilgarius

RX480 will be GCN 1.3 and should work with VCE out of the Box ;)

Andrei

Same thing with Force IME. That pixelation rectangle comes from down and in 2 or 3 seconds go to middle and remain there.

Benman2785

@Andrei

pls activate these settings (red):
andrei.png

if you go with Quality Preset you can set "Disable SubMode" to 0 and uncheck "IMEOverwDisSubm"

pls provide an original video - youtube changes some data in your video

Last edited: