OBS 26 Virtual Camera Mac Audio Sync Solved!

jmysza

Struggling with audio sync and the built-in virtual camera. In reading these forums, it looks like the way people are trying to solve for this is through NDI Tools or virtual cabling. I was leery about introducing another software layer to solve a sync issue so NDI was out.

I had Black Hole already installed on my Mac so it seemed like the virtual cable route was the way to go. But unfortunately after setting everything up... audio offset (in advanced audio properties) had no effect on the audio latency.

Then it hit me! Why not use something else to introduce delay in the audio channel. Being a veteran Logic Pro X user, I thought it was a perfect choice.

I set Logic’s input to be my audio interface (where my mic is plugged in), and then set Logic’s output to Black Hole 2-ch (my virtual cable). I placed a delay plugin on the microphone track in Logic (set 100% wet) with a 250ms delay time and BAM! Everything is in sync! With this method, there is no audio in OBS at all. The signal runs from Logic through a virtual cable straight to Zoom, and you have 100% control over the audio latency by adjusting the time in the delay plugin.

Yay, problem solved! But wait, there’s more. Now that Logic’s environment is in the mix, why not sweeten the dialogue track even more? I analyzed the fan noise from my speed lights so the Izotope De-noise plugin could remove it in real-time. I added a vintage preamp for color, a tiny amount of reverb, and an adaptive limiter.

I like this so much I’ll be changing my audio routing for recording and streaming as well.