NohBoard

Free NohBoard v1.3.0

layarion

that is nice. ty bro. if I have any idea i'll post here. btw, I liked the way you can move each buttons' corner apart... look waht I did with my mouse:
Xx3kvLB.png

how do i do this corner thing?

Noh, it might be better to make a new forum page for this rewrite and have this one link to it in big bold letter or something. anyway, i'm trying to figure out this new program now. so far i just loaded my keys from the legacy version.

https://i.imgur.com/D00tfIJ.png to give you a good idea of whats going on

here is my DxDiag http://pastebin.com/gXJB0bjn

using the legacy software, i hit a snag. the space bar has no words, or symbols on it. so when i have a setup like this https://i.imgur.com/I9n1tnL.png people have no idea when i'm pressing the space bar. https://i.imgur.com/otAjNYS.png

more:
i can't get it to show up on OBS Studio for some reason. i have it set to that window in the properties. nohboard is indeed running, but i don't see it at all. theirs no red box even indicating that OBS has it on screen and i do have it set to the top layer so it's not covered up.

more:
don't tell me about keeping a clean thread when this is 15 pages long and the main page doesn't have documentation on the new software.

more:
ill assume it's because i was using game capture. lack of OP documentation didn't help me there. i understand your busy but that's a detail i might of missed if it's on the OP because the OP isn't the friendliest thing to look at.

Last edited:

joao7yt

how do i do this corner thing?
Sorry for the late reply... I wasn't receiving emails notifications. When i get home i will test the last release.

Edit 1: This is great. nice to know that adding more corners is possible, i will share my presets here later, thank you... oh, i will consider donating too, u are doing a great work here

Edit 2: Here is my presets, 4 combinations. I use this playing CS:GO. That also includes my NohBoard.json, my global style and the font Biko that needs to be installed: Here
"SHIFT key + CTRL key + Mouse Motion"
"SHIFT key + CAPS key + Mouse Motion"
"SHIFT key + CTRL key"
"SHIFT key + CAPS key"
9fCkzzb.gif

U can do this way too, adding more than 4 corners... download the zip and open "keyboards\Games\csgo_shift+caps\keyboard.json" with Notepad or Notepad++ and take a look on the first ones coordinates - "X" and "Y" things - there're 5 coordinates - this first key is "TAB" key - they are the coordinates of each corner, if u add one more and change the values then u can see they moving apart.

ThoNohT

Developer
Layarion, have you heard of the edit button? It's fine to double post every now and then, but you're making a lot of oneliner posts that could easily go together, keeps the topic a bit cleaner.

Noh, it might be better to make a new forum page for this rewrite and have this one link to it in big bold letter or something. anyway, i'm trying to figure out this new program now. so far i just loaded my keys from the legacy version.
I'm considering this. I won't do that just yet, but if I have some time I might make a completely new topic for it perhaps.

using the legacy software, i hit a snag. the space bar has no words, or symbols on it. so when i have a setup like this https://i.imgur.com/I9n1tnL.png people have no idea when i'm pressing the space bar. https://i.imgur.com/otAjNYS.png
You'll have to edit the .kb file for the space bar. It now contains %0% to indicate no text. You could just put Spacebar there, or SPACE like joao7yt did.

i can't get it to show up on OBS Studio for some reason. i have it set to that window in the properties. nohboard is indeed running, but i don't see it at all. theirs no red box even indicating that OBS has it on screen and i do have it set to the top layer so it's not covered up.
Are you using a game capture, because the new NohBoard doesn't support game capture anymore, you'll simply have to window capture it. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to look into it. But I myself haven't run into any issues.

ThoNohT

Developer
Just a small preview into key specific styles, and background image support for keys... I just had to make this keyboard :P
img118.png

I hope to be doing a last cleanup shortly, and I will release the update after that. Note that it uses a slightly different format for style files, so any already created style file will be unusable. There is no change to the keyboard files though.

joao7yt

Hahah epic. Btw do you know if i have a knowledge in programming if will be able to modify my style files to match to this version? Or it will be totally different?

ThoNohT

Developer
You might be able to change them. But I'm not sure if it is really worth the effort. Styles until now have been really simple to setup, just creating a new style with the same settings might be a lot easier. Once you start using key specific styles it starts getting very big though, but that's only after the next update, and I hope I won't have to change the format of the styles again after this.

Hello there, I am trying to use this tool for LoL, however this seems to work only while I'm on desktop. As soon as I click into LoL client it stops reading input and it doesn't show any activity on stream. Could someone help me how to fix this? Many thanks.

Last edited:

ThoNohT

Developer
Could you tell me which version you have downloaded? The latest release I put up is very different from the previous ones. I.e. does the title bar show a version number or not?

Could you tell me which version you have downloaded? The latest release I put up is very different from the previous ones. I.e. does the title bar show a version number or not?

I tried both with original 0.17b version as well as the rewrite one. It's working as long as I'm clicking on desktop, but as soon as I click in the game window it stops.

joao7yt

With cs go nohboard works... So I guess dota would work as well because it's the same engine... Might be something related with the engine that lol uses...

joao7yt

Oh, might be the obs' version... Try using obs studio, because the rewrite version got stuck to me on the standard version of obs... (Sorry for posting twice, mobile version doesn't allow to edit posts)

layarion

here is a keyboard i'm using for .17b

I don't really want to wing it with the little documentation on the OP with the C# program.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24473680/ShareX/2016/07/Layarion_Full_KM.kb

-this keyboard was built not so much for gaming but how-to video's. when no buttons are pressed all you see is the outline of the keys, not the fonts. this makes it easier to see any text you might have in the background like if you were showing a website. when you press on a key the whole entire key is lit to make it clear your pressing it, optionally you can make a quick adjustment to the Pressed Key Color to match the background if you want viewers to still clearly see what's behind the keyboard while pressed.

-It's for these purposes that it's also a full keyboard and mouse, with 2 extra mouse buttons.

-finally, i see my self as partially OCD, because the uneven spacing on the keys was irritating me. some of the borders were thicker than others and i manually aligned all keys so that the boarders were exactly the same thickness by pixel count.

sadly OBS doesn't have a "great" color key or chrome filter...because no matter what i do the final product changes the colors of some of the borders and so on...which is why i went with a white background color. it's less obvious than seeing a green keyboard color with odd colored ones at random places.

when i wanna take the time to trail and error the C# board i will.

layarion

ThoNoh, just thought of something to take the keyboard to a whole nother level.

so i imagine the C# board allows me to make hollow keys just like this http://i.imgur.com/vt7MJTf.png

so that the keys are mostly invisible when i'm not using them...now in a normal situation if i wanted to make this keyboard smaller, so that it took up less screen space i would do either 1 of 2 things

1) just remove some of the keys i don't think i'll use

or

2) remove the green boarder.

solution 1 is fine if you'r positive you don't want/or foresee the need to have the full keyboard in your stream/recording.
solution 2 is fine if you'r confident your audience knows the keyboard is there and will notice it when your pressing buttons (hint: people are blind and stupid...some of them won't)

but how about we make an option 3)
create a feature that allows me to individually choose which keys have boarders shown, so that...

i can have WASD outlined but have the other keys invisible until used. this way i get more screen space while still having a full keyboard view-able when pressed in my recording.

update:
the more i use OBS the more wish Shadowplay had overlay support for the keyboard. duplicate frames...anyway.

could you have the C# version include a log file? in the background this log tracks what was pressed and when, then later it can "play" or show all of that again so that i can record it separately. because currently i'm thinking about running OBS and shadowplay but i hate to think what that'll do.

Last edited:

ThoNohT

Developer
here is a keyboard i'm using for .17b

I don't really want to wing it with the little documentation on the OP with the C# program.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24473680/ShareX/2016/07/Layarion_Full_KM.kb
Note that you can simply click the "load legacy .kb file" button in the rewrite, and it will convert it for you. Then all you need to do is save it like you do any other regular keyboard.

create a feature that allows me to individually choose which keys have boarders shown, so that...
I have good news for you. As I said before, the next release will have individual key styles, so you will be able to choose exactly how to layout every key individually.

could you have the C# version include a log file? in the background this log tracks what was pressed and when, then later it can "play" or show all of that again so that i can record it separately. because currently i'm thinking about running OBS and shadowplay but i hate to think what that'll do.
Now, I could do this, but I'm not really happy to. Some people could already see NohBoard as a virus, for making a low level keyboard and mouse hook. What if I secretly send all those keypresses to some server and steal their passwords? (Note, I don't, the proof is in the source code). But now you want me to keep a log file with all pressed keys, this makes it effectively a keylogger, which I really don't want NohBoard to be known as.

layarion

Now, I could do this, but I'm not really happy to. Some people could already see NohBoard as a virus, for making a low level keyboard and mouse hook. What if I secretly send all those keypresses to some server and steal their passwords? (Note, I don't, the proof is in the source code). But now you want me to keep a log file with all pressed keys, this makes it effectively a keylogger, which I really don't want NohBoard to be known as.
i suppose your right. what if, on a different website or just a different forum you made a patch file that did exactly this? this way no one could ever say it was by accident that they installed it...

iono i'm just grabbing for alternatives to OBS. i really like having the keyboard overlay. i guess i'll have to cross my fingers and hope either shadowplay adds more features or OBS fine tunes some things.

ThoNohT

Developer
ThoNohT updated NohBoard with a new update entry:

Images and key specific styles

• Added support for key specific styles.
  • Added support for images on key backgrounds.

Read the rest of this update entry...

joao7yt, I included slightly modified versions of your keyboards and style. I didn't really want to require users to download a font. And additionally, I ensured the keys respond to caps lock and shift, which can still be disabled in the settings.

I hope that from this release, people will get really creative with their key specific styles and background images for keys!

layarion

Noh, i haven't googled this yet but. how is it possible to get a keyboard overlay with a second computer? i'm trying to eliminate dropped or duplicate frames and it seems the best way to do that is to just offload the recording bit.

if i got a device like this https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Syste...&sr=8-4&keywords=elgato+video+capture+adapter

is it possible? or Must it be another computer? i've never looked this up before or done this so if you see alot of holes in my plan that's why. could it be a cheap old laptop or what exactly would i need? while still getting the keyboard overlay.

if you made a "patch" for the log i suggested and made it so users had to manually download it i might be able to use the elgato

ThoNohT

Developer
That device is for capturing another computer. You could technically capture your own computer, but the encoding would still be done on the cpu, the device can't offload that. Also note that this is a thread about NohBoard, not about capture card issues.

If you want to do the recording on another computer, you could get a switch to duplicate your mouse/keyboard input to another computer, run NohBoard there and have it trap the keys and mouse. This method is described in several places in this thread. I'm not going to implement storing keypresses for later replay however.

joao7yt

noh, i downloaded the update, the possibility of edit the style of each key is awesome :) but i really dont know how to set a image as background...

p.s.: ty for including my style and cs:go keyboards, the community will appreciate

ThoNohT

Developer
Oh right, I forgot to explain that. I hope this explains it enough, if not, please let me know and I'll create a simple example.

Create a subfolder in the folder containing the style you want to add images to, with the name of the style. Then inside that folder, place images. In the style editor for the keys, you can enter just the filename of that image, not the folders leading up to it, and it will try to load that image.

So, let's say I have one of your keyboards, it is stored in:
NohBoard\keyboards\Games\csgo_shift+caps\keyboard.json

I have created a keyboard specific version of your john style, so this file is called:
NohBoard\keyboards\Games\csgo_shift+caps\john.style

I have an image, called cat.jpg which I want to add to a button, then I place this image file in:
NohBoard\keyboards\Games\csgo_shift+caps\john\cat.jpg

I for whatever key I want to set the image, then fill in for background Image:
cat.jpg

Last edited: