NohBoard

Free NohBoard v1.3.0

bradjensen68

Would it be possible to make the NohBoard a source? I would like to record/stream the keyboard or mouse without it bothering the user. That is the user/player would not see the keyboard while recording the application at full screen with OBS and NohBoard running invisible (to him) in the background.

ThoNohT

Developer
That is possible, you just window-capture the new nohboard, or game-capture the old nohboard, start the game full-screen and nohboard is hidden behind the game...

bradjensen68

When I start the game (or application in my case) full screen, it just shows that section of the application in the window capture. The only way I got it to work at all is if I have a dual screen and put Nohboard on the second screen and then window capture that while screen capturing the first screen. Don't want to lug a second screen around with me though since i need to be mobile. I should say I am using Studio. The game capture doesn't seem to work at all for nohboard.

Last edited:

ThoNohT

Developer
This is the behaviour of window capture if you have aero disabled in windows 7. Enable aero and it will show the windows you set it to capture.

bradjensen68

Yes, that worked, thanks! A source would be a more elegant solution, but most importantly, it works! Any chance of a Linux port?

ThoNohT

Developer
No chance at this point. I just switched to using full C# and GDI+ in the rewrite, this is seriously windows based. But allows me much more freedom than with my limited knowledge of c++.

bradjensen68

So, I am using a custom keyboard that has OEM keys that are mapped to weird key combinations. For example Alt{Left}+Ctrl{Left}, e (or key codes 17,18, 69). Is theire any way to map the key combination to a custom key? In this example, I don't want the alt ctrl and the e keys to highlight when this combination is received, but only the custom key that I defined. Note that the keyboard uses one key (in this case the symbol) to send this combo,

ThoNohT

Developer
You could use AutoHotKey to catch that combination and send a new key perhaps. But the actual function of the key would also be lost, so I guess that's not an optimal solution.

It might be possible to create code that introduces such a mapping, and suppresses the keys that combine the mapping. But that would also have the same result when manually pressing these three keys. An extra issue is, NohBoard does not check for modifiers on keypresses, alt and ctrl are just individual keycodes that are also stored as pressed. So if they do not happen simultaneously, for example when manually pressing it. You would see the following sequence for example:

alt lit up
alt + ctrl lit up
€ lit up
alt + ctrl lit up
alt lit up

Which might be somewhat strange.

All in all, thinking about it. This could be a useful feature. I cannot promise when I will get around to it, the NohBoard rewrite has a lot to be done still and I do not have a lot of time. But it would be great if you could create a feature request here: https://github.com/ThoNohT/NohBoard/issues and I will be sure to be reminded of it.

bradjensen68

In my case, the alt ctrl and the € key are simultaneous because I am really only pressing one key on my custom keyboard. Thanks and I will create a feature request once I am back at my desk and not on my phone.

joao7yt

I'm working on some keyboard styles, then I realized that every style needs an folder with their images, which is increasing significantly the size of my folders. I was thinking about an option inside "edit style" where u could choose the folder (and this would be great if u could select an folder at least inside the folder of the category where your keyboard folder is, for example, inside Games) from where NohBoard would get the images for that style. And if, for example, u don't specify any, then NohBoard would look at the folder with the same name as the style, just like it's right now... so, if for example, my keyboard folder "csgo_caps" is inside Games folder, I would like to put just "common_images\" in the option, and it would get my images from "Games\common_images\".

I'm proposing this because some of my keyboards and styles has the same images, and this way I could reduce around 90% of the size of my folders.

joao7yt

(Sorry for double post, through mobile I can't edit my posts)

And an way to select an image in different folders by element. And again, if u just put, for example, "image.png" in the element, it would look in a folder with the same name as the style, but if u put like "model_1\image.png" it would look for "Games\model_1\image.png"

ThoNohT

Developer
Good idea. I guess categories will have to be used more efficiently then though. What if someone else wants to use similar names for theiri mages folder? But if we used the creator's name as category that would not be an issue naturally.

joao7yt

Yes, and I was thinking about being able to select any folder in my computer, but that way, when I would share my keyboards, in another computer Nohboard may not be able to find the folder because of user names and disc names, right? So, I don't know how far could u go out from the keyboard's folder... If further, better.

Last edited:

ThoNohT

Developer
I want to keep it somewhat restricted, I really don't want people to mess around with local paths to user folders etc.

joao7yt

I want to keep it somewhat restricted, I really don't want people to mess around with local paths to user folders etc.
I'm not on my pc and don't remember the folder structure of Nohboard folder, but I think that going to where nohboard.exe is is great...

Spaceegoat

Trying to theorycraft how this would work if you broadcast from an other computer than you game with. So either Nohboard would have to be open on my gaming rig sharing the data collected via a link that I put into the same program on my broadcasting computer and then i screencapture the feed of the correct keyboard. Or, i use a second screen (TV in my case) then hook the broadcasting computer up to that tv and it would collect what is happening on that screen, would guess i need a second catpure card for that, so a bad option. Am i on to something here? bit confusing! but interesting

buffet_time

Is there a tool to convert an old nohboard custom layout to the new style? Because i'd really rather not have to rewrite mine into the new one if i dont have to :P

buffet_time

Oh ok, sweet i was a little worried i recently uninstalled windows and reinstalled i was rocking the late 2014 build of nohboard lol :P I really like the new re-write and think i'm going to try it out soon :D