NohBoard

Free NohBoard v1.3.0

incontrovertible

For those looking for a software KVM that mirrors the input to a dedicated Stream PC and is compatible with NohBoard's hooking feature I found Input Director a while ago. Just make sure to have Trap keyboard and mouse checked in the settings then use Scroll Lock to toggle the trap so inputs don't interfere with the Stream PC while gaming.

layarion

ThoNoh thanks for your reply

one last thing i can think of:

i love your app, it's fantastic. my only wish is that i could use it with Nvidia's recording software. which isn't possible i believe. however, their might be a slightly less convenient way.

what if, your program recorded everything to a log file that would enable a person replay it later. what is does is say i open nohboard, tell it to record. do my thing, and later come back to it. after my game recording is done, i take a new recording of this program just playing back everything millisecond for millisecond. this way, i can add that as a separate layer to my video editor instead of being tied to OBS or some program that supports overlays

layarion

So today, instead of having my mouse and keyboard on the same window i tried running them in two separate windows. but i can't get OBS Studio to work when i try to capture both. could be because both windows have the same name. i don't know...

i will merge them back into one window i guess

layarion

One annoying problem that might be specific to OBS but i dunno. i set the background and loose key background to white. then put a chroma key of white. all good...until you realize there there is a rather ugly white outline on all the fonts.

i can't seem to get rid of it. i do not want the keys to have a visible background, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem because the outline is gone then.

i tried changing settings in the chroma key such as Similarity but that end up just deleting the other colors. when i adjust the smoothness it gets better, but then the color across the board gets dimmer and everything is harder to see. key color spill reduction doesn't help either

i tried changing the background to a different color but the ugly outline just becomes that color. it seems i can't win

if i had to guess, this has little to do with NoaBoard and everything to do with how OBS uses a chroma key. just for shits and giggle i'm going to record it, and then use different software to apply a chroma key and see what happens.

layarion

so, the whole "recording" just the keyboard thing is a no-go.

for soem reason i get a black screen when i try recording in lossy and anything less sprinkles the footage with imperceptible bits of color that make chroma key impractical.

i was still able to compare Vegas to OBS chroma key though by taking a PNG snapshot and applying the chroma then. OBS doesn't do nearly as good of a job. i have to wonder if OBS applies the chroma key to the raw image or if it applies it after the bitrate and quality settings.

i'm guessing it applies it to the raw image.

ThoNohT

Developer
First off, Chroma key issues are OBS related, not NohBoard related. But I can offer you some advice.

Chroma key is more intended for cameras. Try the color key filter (if you're using OBS studio). Also, white isn't the best chroma key color. If you make the background of NohBoard green, that might yield a lot better result.

The window name: This is one feature I should implement in the rewrite. It should be easy to invoke it with a parameter that adds something to the window title.

That reminds me, the rewrite really is release ready. I'm just completely swamped, haven't touched my private laptop at all in the past two weeks. I'm going on a short holiday tomorrow, but I promise I'll try to get back to it after that.

Karvarousku

Hello! I recently download this program to show my most important keyboard and mouse actions I use while playing Path of Exile. I made own custom layout for it aswell, and found it working perfectly.

Untill...

So, this game is online ARPG where a high number of players use AutoHotkey scripts for example to force logout from the game servers in hardcore (you die - you cant continue playing with this character in hardcore.) And so do I.

So for the problem; when certains actions done by the script (go to http://pastebin.com/sRwv8L2u if you want to see the actual script) the NohBoard (v0.17b) keeps the button pressed and does not even show presses of similiar actions done, while showing (and working correctly) normal gameplay actions. It does not show any actions anymore that are made by the AHK script that do this type of thing. The actions that do not lock the button down, still work properly.

Now, I did say "certain actions" and these include actions that bybass manual typing ingame. So as an example when I play in a group, I can type %Hi which would send a message to the party. % links it to party chat. / is for general commands. So using the AHK script I can assign F4 or any other key to type this "%Hi" instead of me, and then the nohboard locks the button down and I have to restart to unlock it.

However, an action made by the AHK script that force logouts my character (it cuts the connection to the online server of the game) works properly.

Hopefully I provided enough information and presented in a way you understand it. English isn't my native language, so I apogolize for any mistakes.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

ThoNohT

Developer
@Karvarousku: AHK does many things I'm not sure about to the keys with different keypress events. I can't really say for now what can be done about that. In the future I might do some debugging with NohBoard running while AHK does strange things, but for now I can't really spend any time on that.

That said, I have finally come around to releasing the first test build of the rewrite. You can find it here:
https://github.com/ThoNohT/NohBoard/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Note that it should run by itself, it does require the .NET Framework 4,5. It shows no keyboard by itself, but you can load a keyboard, and choose a legacy .kb file from your existing NohBoard installation. So far, no new format keyboard files are included. However, legacy files can be saved as new files using the built-in load and save menu.

joao7yt

Hey, when i tried to use it with CS:GO and OBS Studio, the board gets stuck, doesn't reproduce the pressed keys... I tested when cs is in window mode and then it worked... there's any possible to fix it?

Edit: Ok, tested the rewrite and it didn't get stuck... nice, but there's a way to change the font size and etc...?

Last edited:

ThoNohT

Developer
Oh wow, a first report on the rewrite, and it actually performs better. That's awesome.
It's a very early release, I just checked. There is no font support yet. But I will take it upon myself to get at least that in in the next test release, which I hope to releasethis sunday at the latest.

joao7yt

Oh wow, a first report on the rewrite, and it actually performs better. That's awesome.
It's a very early release, I just checked. There is no font support yet. But I will take it upon myself to get at least that in in the next test release, which I hope to releasethis sunday at the latest.
that's nice bro, ty... oh, another thing, do you know the mouse move? so, you could implement an option to select the thick of the outer circle, because it goes away when I want to do a color key...

joao7yt

another tip: it would be better to create the .json keyboard file from .kb making it in separeted lines... making it better to edit after

ThoNohT

Developer
I intend to add many different style options in the future. So that's probably one, sure.

The json file it creates is done by an internal serialization library, I have little control over it. It is always possible however to put it though an online json formatter and alter it that way, NohBoard has no problems reading formatted json files.

joao7yt

I intend to add many different style options in the future. So that's probably one, sure.

The json file it creates is done by an internal serialization library, I have little control over it. It is always possible however to put it though an online json formatter and alter it that way, NohBoard has no problems reading formatted json files.
that is nice. ty bro. if I have any idea i'll post here. btw, I liked the way you can move each buttons' corner apart... look waht I did with my mouse:
Xx3kvLB.png

ThoNohT

Developer
Haha, it's amazing to see what you're already doing even with such a simple version of NohBoard. I'll give you one clue: you can even add more corner points for a single key!

ThoNohT

Developer
I created Version 0.1.1 of the rewrite of NohBoard. You can find it here: https://github.com/ThoNohT/NohBoard/releases/tag/v0.1.1 for the next release

@joao7yt: This release contains all of the features you requested. I hope this enables you to do what you want. It's very nice for me to have testers for a new release, so I can get some feedback on how I should be continuing the development of this tool. It turns out there is actually a simple option to let the serializer output decently formatted json, so I turned that on too.

I hope in the near future to check back in this topic and gather all of the requested features to see which of them I can quickly implement. I think I might start tracking the others via github issues.

ThoNohT

Developer
ThoNohT updated NohBoard with a new update entry:

joao7yt's suggestions

This is the second release of the rewrite of NohBoard. It might still lack some functionality, so it is perfectly fine if you still wish to use the original NohBoard. You can find it with the earlier updates. However, this version has now had some initial testing by at least one user, and turns out to work (perhaps even better than the original). Therefore I have decided to make an actual release of it here.

Everyone who can test this is appreciated. If I can get a lot of testing happening,...

Read the rest of this update entry...

joao7yt

Sorry for the late reply... I wasn't receiving emails notifications. When i get home i will test the last release.

Edit 1: This is great. nice to know that adding more corners is possible, i will share my presets here later, thank you... oh, i will consider donating too, u are doing a great work here

Edit 2: Here is my presets, 4 combinations. I use this playing CS:GO. That also includes my NohBoard.json, my global style and the font Biko that needs to be installed: Here
"SHIFT key + CTRL key + Mouse Motion"
"SHIFT key + CAPS key + Mouse Motion"
"SHIFT key + CTRL key"
"SHIFT key + CAPS key"
9fCkzzb.gif

Last edited:

layarion

This looks very promising, i haven't made a video recently so there wasn't a need for nohboard. but i'm making one today so here i am, i'll give teh rewrite a try when i get to it.