Need help figuring out an NVENC new/rtx crash - (i think?)

iConnorN

Hey yall, ive been having trouble with what i believe to be a crash on the rtx/new Nvenc encoder on obs studio, although im not entirely sure. Ive got both the crash and normal logs attached.

One of the most notable things is that I encode both a local recording (1440p60) and encode the stream (1080p60) on the same graphics card. Ive been doing this for several months with no problems, although recently ive been having OBS hard crash with an error message about once every other stream or so. Possibly after a window update? I also have multiple audio devices running, including voicemeeter that runs a separate audio track for my Game, Discord, Mic, and Music which all mix into OBS.

Im currently using the latest Nvidia studio drivers and have backed off my GPU, CPU, and RAM overclocks to stock just to test but that had no impact (didnt expect it to). Anybody who can actually read the crash logs better than me and give some input would be most appreciated.

crash log https://obsproject.com/logs/vOEOuHZZ_9W7sb6l

normal log https://obsproject.com/logs/pxR8eIKphDGpwzqx

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You're using the "old" NVENC for the stream as the new one doesn't support scaling. This seems to be crashing inside one of the nvidia DLLs for some reason. Perhaps if you streamed with x264 and recorded with NVENC the problem would disappear.

iConnorN

You're using the "old" NVENC for the stream as the new one doesn't support scaling. This seems to be crashing inside one of the nvidia DLLs for some reason. Perhaps if you streamed with x264 and recorded with NVENC the problem would disappear.

Interesting. So its simultaneously running the old and new nvenc? I didnt know the new one was unable to scale.

Preferably id like to stream with the Nvidia encoder because of the performance benefit, and like to solve the nvidia DLL crash itself - but yeah ive considered using x264 for the stream if i cant figure it out.

Would it be worth trying to set OBS to use the old Nvidia encoder for both the stream and recording? or would that have no impact