Need feedback on game capture - ancient thread alarm

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Re: Need feedback on a new version of game capture - updated

getting 32bit games capturing when using the 64bit version and vise versa is something I'm going to be trying to do in the future -- it should be possible to do.

Jim said:
getting 32bit games capturing when using the 64bit version and vise versa is something I'm going to be trying to do in the future -- it should be possible to do.

Hopefully it is, having to switch between the two during a stream with multiple games is a hassle :(.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Specifically what games are you switching between? I would have to assume one is minecraft or something. There are relatively very few games compiled in 64bit out there these days.

Jim said:
Specifically what games are you switching between? I would have to assume one is minecraft or something. There are relatively very few games compiled in 64bit out there these days.

Mainly minecraft :P. But I have it set to start up the 64 bit of OBS as well, I like 64 bit programs better lol.

ToddsGaming

so far every game i have tested on game capture has run almost perfectly, had no decrease in game performance whatsoever, no stutter or input delay (i get al those problems with xsplit so i love your software)

the only thing i seemed to have noticed is that the game capture seems to me like it has issues picking up a source if you open up OBS after launching the game

ColterTV

ToddsGaming said:
so far every game i have tested on game capture has run almost perfectly, had no decrease in game performance whatsoever, no stutter or input delay (i get al those problems with xsplit so i love your software)

the only thing i seemed to have noticed is that the game capture seems to me like it has issues picking up a source if you open up OBS after launching the game

You can fix it by going to the gamecapture properties and click OK, that 're-reads' the source (useful if you restart the game or change from one game to another without restarting OBS)

ToddsGaming

changing games with OBS open isnt where the problem lies, where i have noticed a issue is when i open OBS when i already have a game open, when i setup the game capture its either black screen or frozen image, i know a few people that have had this happen too

its not a major issue just means that i got to open OBS before games but thought someone might like to know about it

Shad0wZ

I love the performance of game capture. In game you hardly even notice you are streaming.
http://www.twitch.tv/veron911/b/343767049

I played some CS:GO fullscreen, at medium-high settings while streaming with a stream output of 768x432 at a bitrate of 1500. It had little impact on my game which fits my need to be able to play my games in full screen while streaming.
All that on a HD4870 and a Q9550 at 3.3GHz, version 0448a of OBS

FailZorD

Well Left 4 Dead 2 crashes on OBS even on Administrator mode and on its game bits (32bit)
Every time i try to capture the game with the option: Add Game Capture [experimental] it just crashes when i select my game (The Game Crashes not OBS)
LOG:
Code:
-------------------------------
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2994MHz
Physical Memory:  5995MB Total, 2023MB Free
stepping id: 7, model 10, family 6, type 0, extmodel 1, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 4, total cores 2
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
  Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 134217728
  Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 1711276032
Adapter 2
  Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M           
  Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 2096693248
  Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 2147495936
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1366x768
  Output resolution: 1364x768
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Microphone (HD Webcam C310)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 320
   device: Logitech HD Webcam C310, chosen type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 160x120 - 160x120, fps: 5-30, fourCC: 00000000

Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 60
    width: 1364, height: 768
    quality: 8
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 1000
    buffer size: 1000
Total frames rendered: 108, number of frames that lagged: 108 (100.00%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 56.581 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 97.2%] [unaccounted: 2.8%]
| scene->Preprocess - [74.5%] [avg time: 42.134 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [22.7%] [avg time: 12.863 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 5.42%] [unaccounted: 17.3%]
| | CopyResource - [0.518%] [avg time: 0.293 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [0.203%] [avg time: 0.115 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [4.7%] [avg time: 2.659 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]

Memory Leaks Were Detected.

T6kke

I know your busy with other parts of the development but

Serious Sam 3 has a black capture screen
Code:
D3D9 Present
DoD3D9GPUHook: success

And anything with Crysis one makes the game crash if I want to start the capture
Code:
D3D9 Present
D3D10 Present
DoD3D10Hook: success

ProClub

http://www.twitch.tv/proclub/b/345309560

Here's 0.449a Test 5

The only problem I have is at the end of the video when alt tabbing from CSGO that when I went back it would freeze randomly or it would freeze while I got back in the game. Don't think it did that in test 4.

SixPairsOfFeet

I can't seem to figure out how to add a chroma key to the game source - at least with 0.452a. i'm assuming it isn't in there yet. when will it be added? thanks!

EDIT: Alternatively, is there a way to have an alpha channel on the display surface of an OpenGL application and have OBS read that? That would be quite cool.

ScardyBob

So I did some more testing and its looking like its something with my system, rather than any specific game, causing the black screen with game capture. Tested the GC option with L4D2, Xcom:EU, FTL, NS2 all with the same black screen issue. My captureHookLog.txt shows this:
Code:
D3D11 Present
D3D9 Present
GL Present

Tried updating graphics drivers and running OBS in admin with no luck. Here is my system's dxdiag info. Any thoughts what may be interfering with OBS?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

I am currently working on a new version of game capture which will (hopefully) fix most acquiring issues. The way it worked was rather poor before.

ProClub

1080P 30FPS

nvidia 310.70 Beta drivers

.449A Test 7

http://www.twitch.tv/proclub/c/1768490

.35% frames lagged.

.453A Test 5

http://www.twitch.tv/proclub/c/1768480

.61% frames lagged.

.453A Test 6

http://www.twitch.tv/proclub/c/1768477
http://www.twitch.tv/proclub/c/1768481

.453A Test 6 I had the worse lag out of the versions listed above. Felt like the network lag from whatever version I posted before? Watching it back it looks a lot better than what I was seeing

Part 1

2.96% frames lagged.

Part 2
5.24% frames lagged.

End of the log for the two times I tested .453A test 6 says Memory Leaks Were Detected.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Hey, thanks for testing 0.453a test6. Does your lag happen in the stream output, or in the game? I'm assuming just the stream output

ProClub

Jim said:
Hey, thanks for testing 0.453a test6. Does your lag happen in the stream output, or in the game? I'm assuming just the stream output

It was happening in game and felt worse in game than what the archive shows above.

Mangachu

get a problem with game capture when i click on someones name to say local mute my obs crashes

hooky

When I try running game capture with Assassin's Creed 1, the game crashes.
Log:
Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.461a - 32bit (´・ω・`)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed: 3400MHz
Physical Memory:  4095MB Total, 4095MB Free
stepping id: 9, model 10, family 6, type 0, extmodel 1, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 4, total cores 4
Windows Version: 6.1 Build 7601 S
Aero is Enabled
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 1057464320
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 3982344192
Adapter 2
  Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 67108864
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 1711276032
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1440x900
  Output resolution: 720x450
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 128
Using graphics capture
Using custom x264 settings: "vbvmaxrate=1000"
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 30
    width: 720, height: 450
    preset: veryfast
    CBR: no
    max bitrate: 750
    buffer size: 1000
    quality: 5
Total frames rendered: 15704, number of frames that lagged: 5 (0.03%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

frame - [100%] [avg time: 1.838 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 80.4%] [unaccounted: 19.6%]
| scene->Preprocess - [0.109%] [avg time: 0.002 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [80.3%] [avg time: 1.476 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 22.7%] [unaccounted: 57.6%]
| | CopyResource - [0.816%] [avg time: 0.015 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [0.218%] [avg time: 0.004 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [21.6%] [avg time: 0.397 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | sending stuff out - [0.0544%] [avg time: 0.001 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]

Screen capture seems to be fine (someone on Steam was telling me, btw, that screen capture used 90% CPU when he used it, tested xsplit and obs and did not get that).

Edit: Tried the latest test build, same thing.

Edit 2: Got it to work under DX9. There might be something wrong with the DX10 plugin. Supposedly AC1 doesn't support DX10.1 so that may be the problem.