Need feedback on game capture - ancient thread alarm

retbergen

Bellenoir, most sc2 players make sure that they are full screen windowed, or youre in trouble some way or another. Alt tabbing is getting very hard on the system if youre not windowed. It's just a setting everyone has, espeshially those who stream. For what we know, blizzards design of the full screen option might be faulty.

bellenoir

retbergen said:
Bellenoir, most sc2 players make sure that they are full screen windowed, or youre in trouble some way or another. Alt tabbing is getting very hard on the system if youre not windowed. It's just a setting everyone has, espeshially those who stream. For what we know, blizzards design of the full screen option might be faulty.

I prefer posts that are at least somewhat helpful. This one is not.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Gentlemen, if possible, let's try to keep civil and level-headed.

bellenoir, you are correct, if anything is crashing with the alt-tabbing, then it probably is a bug and needs to be fixed. That being said, there are also reasons unrelated to the app itself that this can happen as well so I need to do some more testing on my end to see what's going on. Sometimes there are these bugs that don't happen on my computer so it becomes really difficult to figure out what's actually going on for you without a crash log of some sort.

bellenoir

Hm Jim have you adjusted anything in the gamecapture for the current release? Cuz suddenly there are no crashes so far and I can use this no problem whatsoever. There have been no changes in driver/other software on my side so I figure you are the one "responsible" for the fix? :) I still dont get why OBS did not generate any crash logs in the previous version tho...

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hm, no, I didn't particularly change anything major, compiled the app a different way but that's really it

bellenoir

Hm then the problem might have been on my end maybe even though it still bugs me because you say you didnt change anything and I am 100% positive I didnt either :o

Bensam123

I've been testing out game capture. LoL seems to crash when I alt-tab during the loading screen.

I don't know if it's a feature yet or not, but it still doesn't grab whatever screen is in the foreground. So if I change games I have to go into properties and change the game.

Ennea

Game capture works great so far with Dark Souls, but I'd really like to use DSFix with it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it doesn't work. I've seen that ;) I'd really love to see a fix for that, though. Until then, I'll try the borderless fullscreen + window capture suggestion I read elsewhere on this board. Is there any way I can assist with the issue?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
just set dsfix to run fullscreen windowed, then just use window capture. should be just as good.

Ennea

As I said in my post, I'll give it a try. Thing is, Dark Souls forces 16:9, and I have a 16:10 screen. In borderless fullscreen mode, the 1440x810 is getting stretched to my 1440x900 screen size. For the time being, though, I'll be using Dxtory with OBS. Actually, I probably won't ever use anything else if that keeps on working. I had used Dxtory a while back, but wasn't aware it could basically also act as a frameserver and output video to a stream. That's superb.

DAOWAce

Ennea said:
Game capture works great so far with Dark Souls, but I'd really like to use DSFix with it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it doesn't work.
Game capture + fullscreen dsfix works here without issue.

However, the performance is worse than Xsplit's game source. Think it's better than OBS + Dxtory, but I actually can't remember. Xsplit wins in all cases here though.

Ennea said:
Thing is, Dark Souls forces 16:9, and I have a 16:10 screen. In borderless fullscreen mode, the 1440x810 is getting stretched to my 1440x900 screen size.
Same here. 1920x1200 screen, can't use fullscreen windowed with 1080p due to it stretching. This applies to every game I play, which sucks.

Grimio

You can set your desktop resolution to 1080p beforehand. That should prevent the stretching.
Oh, I also forgot, there are gpu driver options which regulate the scaling. This should also be set accordingly.

DAOWAce

Grimio said:
You can set your desktop resolution to 1080p beforehand. That should prevent the stretching.
Oh, I also forgot, there are gpu driver options which regulate the scaling. This should also be set accordingly.
Yeah, but that's setting my desktop resolution to 1080p, reducing available screen space for things and screwing with my desktop icons. Still, it is the only solution I've found so far. I'm still trying to find something that can just set a resolution and add black space to anything over it.

As for scaling, that's been off on my system ever since it was implemented in the driver long ago. I have a proper monitor which does scaling itself, and I always keep it 1:1 unless it's for something very specific.

Muf

Forum Moderator
DAOWAce said:
Ennea said:
Thing is, Dark Souls forces 16:9, and I have a 16:10 screen. In borderless fullscreen mode, the 1440x810 is getting stretched to my 1440x900 screen size.
Same here. 1920x1200 screen, can't use fullscreen windowed with 1080p due to it stretching. This applies to every game I play, which sucks.
You can probably use AutoHotKey or something like that to force a borderless window at 1920x1080. Then you just need to black out the remaining 200 pixels somehow.

Something like:
Code:
Run,C:\Your\Path\To\DarkSouls.exe
WinWait,ahk_class DARK SOULS,,30
WinSet,Style,-0xC40000,ahk_class DARK SOULS
WinMove,ahk_class DARK SOULS,,0,100,1920,1080

DAOWAce

Muf said:
Then you just need to black out the remaining 200 pixels somehow.
Exactly.

And so far, I've yet to find anything that allows me to do that.

Also, I use a different script. It allows me to toggle between the borderless mode and whatever the application had set originally. Most codes are one time shot deals, but not this! Also works for any window no matter what it is.

Uses ctrl+shift+A, a combination of keys I will most likely never hit while doing anything and staying within easy reach. (Avoids the need for a suspend addition)

Code:
^+a::
WinGet, TempWindowID, ID, A
If (WindowID != TempWindowID)
{
  WindowID:=TempWindowID
  WindowState:=0
}
If (WindowState != 1)
{
  WinGetPos, WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight, ahk_id %WindowID%
  WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%  ; apply borderless style
  WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 60, 1920, 1080  ; Apply custom resolution. Centers screen on 1200p. Change 60 to 0 if using a 1080p display, decrease to move the window up. 
}
Else
{
  WinSet, Style, ^0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID% ; Restore default style
  WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight ; Restore default positions
}
WindowState:=!WindowState
return

edit: Added comments; remove if you don't need them.

Muf

Forum Moderator
DAOWAce said:
Muf said:
Then you just need to black out the remaining 200 pixels somehow.
Exactly.

And so far, I've yet to find anything that allows me to do that.
Just make AutoHotKey spawn two windows using the GUI command, make them borderless and give them a black background. Then position them above and below your borderless game window.

Also, I meant to say 160 pixels, not 200 pixels, because I can't maths. :P

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
crysis games work fine with the latest test build as far as I know

XRayted

Jim said:
crysis games work fine with the latest test build as far as I know

The problem is that OBS doesn't pick up the game.
The first 2,5minutes you can hear him saying that he needed to run from Desktop and in 'Window mode', but it makes it really laggy. Cheak out the first 2,5/3minutes please in the video.

Ps: Might be only in DX10mode and not in DX9, but the server is DX10 (server & client) only.

ScardyBob

Re: Need feedback on a new version of game capture - updated

ScardyBob said:
So I did some more testing and its looking like its something with my system, rather than any specific game, causing the black screen with game capture. Tested the GC option with L4D2, Xcom:EU, FTL, NS2 all with the same black screen issue. My captureHookLog.txt shows this:

Tried updating graphics drivers and running OBS in admin with no luck. Here is my system's dxdiag info. Any thoughts what may be interfering with OBS?
Belated update, but after a new GPU and a reinstall of the OS, Game Capture now works with NS2 for me. There were numerous other issues occurring on my system for programs other than OBS (which prompted the format) and were solved by starting fresh.

My only quibble is that Game Capture only works in fullscreen mode (rather than windowed or noborder windowed). This makes it a bit useless for much of my streaming as I need to be able to quickly move between the game and other programs (Twitch chat, OBS itself, music/video player, etc).