Question / Help Microphone Latency/Delay issue. (SOLVED)

B Saint

I was originally using my Play Station Gold headphones/Mic and everything seemed to be working ok just not a great quality microphone, so I switched to my microphone and headphones that are connected to my USB audio interface (Steinberg UR22MKII). That is when I noticed that while monitoring my microphone it seems as though there is about a half second between what I say and it actually coming through the headphones. Normally when I have this problem in the DAW that I use (Cubase) or any other DAW for that matter, I just adjust my latency in my ASIO settings and the problem is solved. This is not the case here though. I read up about it and tried doing what most posts recommend, which is to adjust the audio delay setting in Advanced Properties for the mic on OBS Studio. Not only does that not solve the problem but that audio delay setting does not seem to work at all no matter which direction or how much I adjust the delay. NOTE: My interface has 2 microphone lines. I have a handheld Unidirectional Dynamic mic in one port and a Condenser mic in the other. Both are connected via XLR cables and both are having this issue. Please help me. I want to be able to monitor myself while recording audio as well as hear everything else through the headphones at the same time like I do when I record music with this setup. I also do not want my speakers on while recording so that the mic does not pick up the audio from my speakers. Hence the headphones. NOTE 2: My headphones are also connected to the audio interface. Thanks for your tips and recommendations in advance.

Narcogen

Sync offset affects stream/recording output. Audio monitoring in OBS is *input monitoring* not output monitoring.

B Saint

Sync offset affects stream/recording output. Audio monitoring in OBS is *input monitoring* not output monitoring.
Sorry I am not very technical with OBS yet as I have just started using it a few days ago. I am just trying to understand what you are saying here. There is or is not a solution? If there is, what do you recommend that I do? Thanks.

I am able to monitor the desktop sound because I have headphones attached to my Audio Interface which all my desktop audio is routed to. That timing is fine. Its just the microphone that has the delay. Here's the thing... I can get the mic sound on time if I adjust my interface "Mix" knob to input rather than daw but then I do not get to hear any added effects (filters) to my microphone because that setting just gives me the mic in raw. Also if I do that then I lose the Desktop audio as well so it is not a viable option.

Last edited:

Narcogen

The Sync Offset value in Advanced Audio Properties will be heard in your output (recorded file, stream). Not in your monitoring device. You cannot use this setting to compensate for latency introduced into your audio chain by filters, plugins, or other applications, like your DAW, that may be upstream of OBS.

I am not aware of a solution in OBS for this. To get realtime monitoring, bypass your effects. The other solution is to perform such effects in hardware upstream of your PC, and monitor that audio directly on that hardware device, also upstream of your PC.

B Saint

The Sync Offset value in Advanced Audio Properties will be heard in your output (recorded file, stream). Not in your monitoring device. You cannot use this setting to compensate for latency introduced into your audio chain by filters, plugins, or other applications, like your DAW, that may be upstream of OBS.

I am not aware of a solution in OBS for this. To get realtime monitoring, bypass your effects. The other solution is to perform such effects in hardware upstream of your PC, and monitor that audio directly on that hardware device, also upstream of your PC.

OK. Thank you for clarifying. I have found a solution although it does not allow me to monitor my audio filters. I just set my audio filters in OBS first then I simply put the "mix" knob on my external audio interface in between input and daw (right in the middle) then turn off microphone monitoring in OBS Studio. This allows me to monitor my microphone raw (no effects) through the audio interface itself. Because the knob is in the middle I can hear both raw mic and the desktop audio through my headphones at the same time with no delays. This actually works pretty well. After recording a trail run and playing it back I can confirm that timing is on point and sound levels are all good with filters intact.

Last edited: