Question / Help Low fps in games when I open OBS with integrated graphics

mvbeuchat

I want to start streaming LOL on twitch, I got everything configured but i have a problem. I would like to stream the whole screen so that there is no black screen between games, so I run OBS Studio with the integrated graphics. However, when I do that, my fps in-game drop to 20-30 (I have them capped at 80 normally) just by having OBS open, not even streaming or recording. If I open OBS with the Nvidia gpu, i get the black screen when not in a game but 80 fps in-game, it runs very smooth while I stream. I suspect the game uses the integrated gpu when I open OBS with it.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.3GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
120 Hz, 1080P screen
Using OBS 24.0.3 (64 bits)

Is there any way to stream the whole screen and use the nvidia gpu to play simultaneously?

I've tried changing the encoder but the fps drops in-game start as soon as I open OBS, so nothing changes.

Thanks!

Narcogen

No. For a laptop with integrated and discrete GPUs, OBS must run on the integrated GPU in order to perform display capture. Running on the discrete card, the choices are game and window capture.

I suppose this could be a rare scenario where there would be utility for an HDMI capture device in a single PC configuration, but that still might not perform as well as you'd like. Might want to test if there's a device you can borrow.

carlmmii

For LoL, you should make use of the Advanced Scene Switcher. That way OBS can switch between which is captured automatically without having to you do anything extra yourself.... and it means you can avoid having to use display capture.