iOS Camera for OBS Studio

iOS Camera for OBS Studio v2.5.0

Kuffdam

Bought this app for £15

tried running it on my OBS as a 2nd camera on scene 2 with my laptop camera on scene 1, but it was creating a crazy lag which I just couldn’t get rid of. The lag was increasing over time and really out of sync with audio and the main laptop camera.

I then swapped the iPhone camera to scene 1 and it’s working perfectly. Not sure why it needs to be the main camera and not a backup / 2nd camera on OBS, but that fixed it and it’s working perfect now.

Does anyone know if I can add a 2nd iPhone running the same app as another camera? Happy to pay for another app on that phone if it works?

Basically I want to use 2 phones as 2 webcams

thanks

Gateway

Just tried the latest version on my mac. When plugged in via usb cable and doing test with my iPhone 11 Max Pro the audio cuts out, the audio is not stable and shutters a lot. Do I have to make any adjustments anywhere?

Btw thanks for doing this.. im very impressed. I will try multi iPhone's soon.

Can we get the use of all the lenses for the iPhone 11 Max .. Primary, Ultra-Wide and Telephoto? I see I can switch between 2 modes but the Ultra-Wide would be awesome!

Also another option would be able to use both front and back cameras? :)

reshanavatara

Hey there, just bought this app but I am unable to download the Windows plugin to connect to my iphone. Something is up with the GitHub link, could anyone help to link me to your install file? Perhaps over a wetransfer

Much appreciated bros!

RobyCai

Someone suggested me to remove iOS Camera for OBS Studio because It and the app that goes with it has not been updated in a year and it has a history of being crash-phone.
it's really?
How can I uninstall iOS Camera?

MixedByKip

Feature request: ability to use the wide-angle 0.5x camera on the iPhone 11. Besides that it’s working great. Thanks for developing it.

GoldBeta

Hey so i bought the app for like 18 euros and used a USB cable to connect it, I only get around 0.7 MB/s of bandwith, i'm not using an original cable because the one of the iPhone 11 pro is USB c which my computer doesn't have. Could this be it or is something wrong. it not a steady delay either. it's like it keeps incresing overtime

ozgeersu

Dear Friends,

I had a rather frequent communication with Will Townsend, the iOS Camera for OBS developer, and he was very kind to reply my mails in details in his earliest possible convenience.

As far as my experience is concerned, maybe the following tips may be of some help for those who may / has run into problems:

- Under Windows 10, iOS Camera for OBS, OBS Studio and my Iphone X is working great, without any problem at all, always available in the system. Refresh / reconnect to devices works perfect.

A quick note here, I tried NDI / Over Wifi cameras, there is a HUGE performance difference in favour of lightning cabled OBS Camera against WIFI connected cams, no matter where the lightning / Usb Iphone is connected, be directly to my laptop Usb or powered / unpowered Usb's. With lightning cable, there is ALMOST NO LATENCY / NO DELAY, sometimes 300/400 ms. at maximum, regardless of Internet speed. (I am using a fiber connection with average 20 Mbps upload.)

I would not recommend any WIFI Cams (unless you are forced to use Android device).

- Definitely USE ORIGINAL Apple cable. Many of the third party cables either don't work efficiently, or not at all, as they may be designed to supply charge only, without the data bus.

- However, I have multiple powered / unpowered Usb hubs to feed around 10-15 mixed Usb 2.0 / 3.0 devices, fed by only 2 Usb ports from my laptop, being 1 Usbc and 1 Usb. 3.0 classic.

An important recommendation: Even though I have multiple USB/ USBC hubs, I prefer to connect iOS camera device (number one priority) and my USB microphone (in the second place) AS CLOSE AS to the laptop connections, (preferably direct to laptop body) or a very well POWERED USB hubs, rather than putting them in secondary serial hubs, or at the end of the usb hub chains.

- The moment I attach a second iOS camera as a secondary webcam source, let it be an ipad or Iphone 5, no matter what my configuration / usb port is, the second camera freezes in maximum 5 minutes, while Iphone X continues to work flawless within the same rig.

Please note that for sure Iphone 5 and 4-5 years old ipads may be outdated, even though they have the latest iOS upgrades and decent cameras. This may be the reason. I would like to know the results , the experience details when a very recent iPhone X/11 and/or very recent Ipads are connected / used as secondary (or even third) iOS cams simultaneously.

- While this is happening, a Usb Webcam (Atech 1280/720p) is working perfectly whether there is a problem with multiple iOS cams or not, without any problems. However, I am very reluctant to use these relatively lo-res webcams when iOS cameras' wonderful capture quality is concerned. Even an iPhone5 cam capture quality was far better than a 1280x720 Webcam.

- VERY IMPORTANT / ITUNES ISSUE

As Mr. Townsend implies, the iOS device(s) must AT LEAST ONCE be connected and recognized by iTunes at the same laptop. Then it creates a FIXED fingerprint code (different for every iOS device) used to be later on.

However, in my case, even though all my iOS devices are well recognized by Itunes, OBS / OBS camera software stops recognizing /refreshing / reconnecting the previously recognized device, showing NONE in the sources, no matter whatever I tried, including a zillion permutations / combinations.

I MUST always keep the iTunes running at the background for iOS Camera to work, the moment I stop iTunes, the solid working IphoneX cam stops running. I repeat again, this situation is specific to my circumstances.

While I do not have any knowledge /tech bcg why iTunes is needed at all, this philosopy is like a maintaining a marrige or windows running on a pc: "As long as it works, don't touch, don't investigate!" :). So I do not need to know the need, at all! :) It works and I keep silent. :)

I have also discussed this with Mr. Townsend, the developer, and informed him about this. Naturally, it is difficult for thim to come back to me with a correct answer from a distance. He stated that this may be a known issue, and some systems may react this way.

I wish(ed) he may have a look at this in a possible future upgrade.

Due to this iTunes task running in the background, I have an additional %3-7 CPU load in my performance, and some impact at System Ram, the latter of course, rather negligable.

Finally, if it may help, my way of RUN SEQUENCE may help to some of you, whether you INSTALL FIRST or reconnect / refresh your own iOS device.

1) First, run iTunes.
(If you do not have my specific problem I stated above, to say if you have already introduced your device to Itunes ONCE and installed your cam and your cam always shows later on without the need of iTunes running t the background each time, you may skip this.)

2) Run Obs.

3) Run iOS app on the device. Set your own camera defaults (front/rear) / resolution / mic mute-unmute / fps rate / bitrate, as the app does not store any settings. (Blink blink, "SAVE PROFILES" maybe in possible future upgrades?
However, if you are already using with defaults, if it is ok, do not change anything.)

Mine is -1280/720p, -30 Fps, -Bitrate 10000 Kbps, -Keyframe Interval Automatic, -Output Usb.

IMPORTANT! Do not forget to arrange or rearrange · POI AE/AF · AE/AF LOCK · AE · ZOOM adjustments before the broadcast, depending on your camera angle and studio light conditions, as tyou will be touching your devices' screens while tring to adjust the app settings and you will be probably losing focus or AE, if you do not pay attention to this.

4) Connect the lightning cable.

5) Refresh / reconnect the iOS device (if it does not already show up.)

Et Voila!

Last, but not the least, one of my four hour - very long educational broadcasts, this one being on the ancient ruins of Pompeii Italy may be seen from this link, where the iOS cam worked smoothly even under very heavy, CPU / GPU tasks (e.g. google earth rendering or quickGoogle Maps Streetview refreshes.) duing this four-hour live marathon. The broadcast is in Turkish, though.

I would like to hear from those who has / had similar issues or some tips that may ease this process.

Below is (not that important) three screen caps.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards

ÖZGE ERSU
Professional Tourist Guide · Travel Expert · Radio Documentary Producer · Broadcaster
www.ersu.net

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-17 at 02.50.19 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-17 at 02.50.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-17 at 02.50.20.jpeg

Can we please get support of all the cameras on the IPhone11?
As well as a option to remove the controls on the capture screen?
(I use a clip on widescreen lens, and the clip is constantly pushing the button underneath, and often my hand will hit the lock when I’m setting up....
maybe a “performance mode”
(That might keep the phone cool too)

Gateway

I have great results with my iPhone 11Max pro connected to my macbook.. I run into issues when I connect another iPhone that things start to fall apart. Not to mention trying to get the second iPhone to work its a constant struggle..

Kuffdam

Bought this app for £15

tried running it on my OBS as a 2nd camera on scene 2 with my laptop camera on scene 1, but it was creating a crazy lag which I just couldn’t get rid of. The lag was increasing over time and really out of sync with audio and the main laptop camera.

I then swapped the iPhone camera to scene 1 and it’s working perfectly. Not sure why it needs to be the main camera and not a backup / 2nd camera on OBS, but that fixed it and it’s working perfect now.

Does anyone know if I can add a 2nd iPhone running the same app as another camera? Happy to pay for another app on that phone if it works?

Basically I want to use 2 phones as 2 webcams

thanks

I noticed the same issue, but to answer ur question.... I’m running 2 iPhones with this app and I can’t fix the lag issue on one cam. Scene 1 phone runs perfectly, but scene 2 iPhone lags and it gets bigger and bigger.

I’ve also noticed that when I use an IPhone 8, it’s perfect, yet when I run the app on the iPhone 11 it has a constant lag. I’ve tried everything including changing the output, putting the phone on airplane mode, rebooting it, changing the cable I use.... nothing improves it

one thing I did manage to do was to have one phone set up as screen capture mode and have the app open and just zoom in to remove all the buttons seen on the screen, that seemed to run perfectly with no lag, the other phone running OBS camera app..

that’s my work around

Gateway

I noticed the same issue, but to answer ur question.... I’m running 2 iPhones with this app and I can’t fix the lag issue on one cam. Scene 1 phone runs perfectly, but scene 2 iPhone lags and it gets bigger and bigger.

I’ve also noticed that when I use an IPhone 8, it’s perfect, yet when I run the app on the iPhone 11 it has a constant lag. I’ve tried everything including changing the output, putting the phone on airplane mode, rebooting it, changing the cable I use.... nothing improves it

one thing I did manage to do was to have one phone set up as screen capture mode and have the app open and just zoom in to remove all the buttons seen on the screen, that seemed to run perfectly with no lag, the other phone running OBS camera app..

that’s my work around

Is the author still working on this? 2 iOS devices seem to have issues .. I have tried many as tests and overtime the 2nd one comes in, lag starts to happen, it takes so many tries to get the second device working etc.. :(

Antonij

Hello! I'm using the NDI HX Camera app, trying to connect an iphone without wifi via a lightning cable on win 10, but OBS doesn't see the iphone. This won't work with NDI HX Camera on win? On os x via cable works well.

motoministries

I've downloaded the iPhone app to my iPhone 8+ and installed the iPhone plugin to my notebook (HP spectre 2017). After installing and several reboots on both systems, I'm still not seeing iPhone Video Capture option. i'm attaching my current logging file.

Attachments

• 2020-04-25 17-34-12.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 44

SpikeTheYouth

If/when this comes to be a feature I'd be eager to try it out! I have 2 reasons why I would find this helpful:

1. On a small scale, I never stop being surprised by the quality of audio from the humble iPhone mic, and I could see this being helpful for quick projects.
2. On a larger scale, I'm using OBS to stream the services at out church. We use a Canon DSLR as our primary close shot, my iPhone as our secondary wide shot, slides are brought in via NDI, and audio comes direct from the sound board. The audio situation is less than ideal as the mix going to OBS for streaming is identical to what's coming through FOH, and thus missing out on the ambience of the room, the sound of the congregation's voice, and instruments with a lot stage volume are barely audible since they don't need to be turned up much from FOH. To solve this, I need to get an additional audio source for an ambient mic. Assuming it's possible, using the mic already built into my iPhone seems like it could be a good solution for adding a bit of ambience from the room underneath the board mix.

Thanks again!

We have a Behringer X18 and had the same issues. We created two buses, one for FOH and one for broadcast and gain staged them both evenly. We then adjusted the volume to mice for FOH according to our liking.

dreamkast

Using Iphone 11 with OBS on Macbook Air. The camera and audio is connected fine but the image will freeze indefinitely shortly after the streaming begins. Please help.

Izm1

Having same issue, new to this, all seems to work ok until OBS camera running via usb or NDI freezes indefinitely and/or moves in slow motion, or glitches

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Cleaned up all the irrelevant discussion. Please move all further discussion for solutions that are not the iOS Camera for OBS Studio to another thread. It is wildly inappropriate to be advertising in someone else's resource thread.

zakkleifeste

The new update has caused significant delay/lag and is currently unusable. Has anyone found a work around? Or does anyone have the previous version IPA file? I wish I would've been backing up my iPhone so I could just use the old version. It was working perfectly before.