iOS Camera for OBS Studio

iOS Camera for OBS Studio v2.5.0

wtsnz

wtsnz submitted a new resource:

iOS Camera for OBS Studio - Use your iPhone camera as a video source in OBS Studio

If you've ever wanted to use your iPhone camera as a video input to stream using OBS Studio, this has got you covered.
This plugin streams video over a wired USB connection to your Mac & PC, which eliminates the delay that some comparative wireless solutions introduce.

Start the accompanying iOS app, which you can get from the iOS App Store ($10 USD), plug in your device and begin streaming!

raw-comparison-jpg.35449

Read more about this resource...

wtsnz

Hey Andrew,
Thanks, that's awesome to hear!
And yes, front camera streaming is something I definitely do plan on adding to the app in the near future.

VIesturs

Bought an app.
Well. i keep geting crashes.
i have 64 OBS and 64 win.
iphone 6s
windows 10

added last 3 crash reports.
It worked only one time for 2 seconds. Have to say - quality and lag delay is really good.
what are my options here?

Attachments

• Crash 2018-04-17 22-58-48.txt
    72.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Crash 2018-04-17 22-59-33.txt
    80 KB · Views: 99
  • Crash 2018-04-17 23-04-14.txt
    71.2 KB · Views: 106

wtsnz

Hey Vlestures,

Thanks for giving it a go, and I'm sorry you've not had a great experience!
Thanks for the crash reports, looks like there is an exception happening that hasn't been caught. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

wtsnz

I've also just released v1.2.0 of the app that allows you to stream with the devices' front facing camera. It's handy if you can mount the device above your displays and want to see your face!

xsmashx88x

wtsnz have you thought about doing a stand alone app also for this? to be used in other programs would be damn nice.... like what you have done with this.

also any chance you can add like a focus/manual focus option?

wtsnz

Hey xsmashx88x,
This was my original intention, and I did look into it a little while ago before I came across OBS Studio. Due to lack of driver documentation anywhere, I struggled to get it off the ground. I'm still working on improvements for this app, and then I'll look into it again.

Alejandro,
The app only allows you to stream your devices camera's right now.
However, on my list of things to investigate is the ability to stream your iOS devices' screen to OBS (you can do this without Camera for OBS Studio, but in my experience it's got a delay of about 2 seconds - which isn't fun when audio sync is important) but I've got a few things to improve in the app before I get to this.

Thanks, hope that answers your questions

tylerqhaas

OBS drops connection to iOS Camera app when switching away to a different scene. It does seem to reconnect after switching back to the iOS Camera scene but there is a 1 second freeze while it reconnects.

Is this how it is intended to behave? Is there a way to keep the connection active while switched to another scene?

---
MacOS 10.13.4 High Sierra
OBS 21.1.1
iPhone SE

Last edited:

ALLCAPSMACTEP

I left a review for you in the US app store. Tsk-tsk to the one stars. :-/

Two things I would like to see (I'm using macOS):

1) The camera resync when the lightning cable is unplugged, or the app is closed. Right now you have to add a new source every time in order for it to work, sometimes two sources because the first source won't work.

2) The ability to use two cameras would be very nice. It flickers between both cameras now if you use two iOS devices and two sources.

Besides that, I would love if you made a blog about the challenges of creating a plugin and source for OBS studio. I know just compiling the project is a challenge, and all of the plugin documentation if for the old OBS.

wtsnz

Hey Tylerqhaas,

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly, I haven't used the scenes feature of OBS Studio so I hadn't experienced that issue. I've added an issue on Trello to remind me to change the behavior and leave the connection going once initially connected. I will look at adding a preference option for this.

ALLCAPSMACTEP,
Thanks for the review, much appreciated! Part of the perks of the app store - it's hard to support customers when they simply leave a review as there is no way to contact them!

1 - I'm not too sure what you mean by camera resync? Do you mean reconnect? If so, interesting, I've not experienced this myself as the connection does resume when I plug the camera in and out, and when I background the app and resume it. Hmmm..

2 - Yeah, it's only designed with a single camera in mind right now.. Multi-camera support is something that's come up a few times, so it's now on the backlog

And I love the idea of writing about making a plugin! I will certainly look into it.

Thanks for the messages!

ALLCAPSMACTEP

What details can I provide to help you debug?

I'm running 21.1.1 OBS, and macOS 10.3.3. My Macbook is 2014, and I'm connecting directly with a new genuine Apple lightning cable and an iPhone 8 Plus. You will need to create a new source if you unplug the cable. I can make a video if needed. I'm pretty busy, so apologies if it is some days before replying.

P.S. I loved your blog on the Chewie clone. I use Ableton Live too and got me inspired again. I'm into the vocal manipulation, looping and sound effects, not so much composition so loved it. It's like a Push for guitar players.

wtsnz

Hi people!

Over the last month or so, I've been hard at work and I'm pleased to say that I've just released v2.0.0 of the iOS App and the OBS Studio Plugin, along with a shiny new website.

It's fixed a number of issues that people have raised to me on here, and via email:

- Changing scenes no longer disconnects from the device
- Adds tap to focus, pinch to zoom - just like the Camera.app
- Ability to configure multiple devices for multi-camera streams
- And I believe that I've fixed the most common crash!

If you have been using the app, and you have automatic updates enabled, you will have to update the plugin before it will connect to OBS Studio.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

ALLCAPSMACTEP

Works great, nice solution on the two camera front.

There's one bug on iPad that's pretty weird. Perhaps it's a typo somewhere for the iPad view. I have an iPad 10.5 and when you turn the device into landscape, the screen is stretched, and rotated by 90 degrees. This bug does not appear on iPhone 8 Plus, and the output in OBS is correct.

wtsnz

Awesome, thanks!

Interesting... Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll investigate :)

mikert2010

I just found this app and plugin and I tested this on my 3 iphones, first my 5, then my 5s and finally my 7+. The 7+ worked perfectly. The 5 and 5s both suffered from the same issues where the app was showing that 1-2 m/s were being transferred but, the video being displayed on my Windows 10 PC looked like streaks of stagnate video for the top half of the frame and the bottom half was refreshing at around 10-5 fps. I tried a number of resolutions on each phone and some worked as described above and some did not work at all.

If I was planning on using my 5 and 5s for stationary cameras, do you think I would have better luck running the 1.x version of the pluggin? I don't want you to labor over backwards compatibility when what you have with 2.0 is such an excellent piece of software...

Thanks for what you have done here. This capability has come up in conversation many times "wouldn't it be cool if I could just use my iPhone as a webcam?"

wtsnz

Hey Mikert2010,

Thanks for the comments!
I'm glad it's half working for you.. you're not alone with the streaky video issue - I think it's the last major issue that effects a small number of people/devices that I've not been able to reproduce.
If you haven't seen (or for people reading this) there is an issue on the GitHub repository for the plugin with and example screenshot (assuming it's the same as what you're experiencing) https://github.com/wtsnz/obs-ios-camera-source/issues/3

Version 1.x.x of the plugin isn't compatible with version 2.x.x of the iOS App - I had to make some tweaks to the protocol to allow multiple devices to work, hence the increase in major versions so quickly. The streaky video issue you've experienced on the 5 and 5s also effected v1.x.x so I don't believe it would be any different to v2.

I'll unpack my iPhone 5 and try and reproduce the issue. I have been, and intend to continue to get to the bottom of this issue, as it is quite annoying!

Thanks,
Will

travisham

Question before I buy: does this allow for both video+audio from the iPhone as well? I've been able to use a different app that brings in a clean full-screen view of my iPhone's camera to OBS, but OBS doesn't see it as an audio source, and using Apple's Audio MIDI Setup on my Mac to utilize my iPhone's audio shuts off it's use of video. Thanks in advance for your help on this!