Input Overlay

Input Overlay v5.0.5

LtRyan

I already have this installed it seems. I reinstalled it just to be sure and it didn't change anything

8135a477d5.png

univrsal

The one you linked me before was the one I tried
So you used 4.6-pre, which I recommend to Windows 7 users on GitHub?
Well at this point I'm out of ideas, you can try any older version and see if it works, but for all other users that encountered issues on Windows 7 they usually resolved after installing the dependencies and using the 4.6 version (4.5 was compiled incorrectly which will prevent it from running on Windows 7).
I'm sorry, but for now this is all I can help you with.

univrsal

Hello and Thank you for your plugin. I am for the first time trying your plugin.

Taking your advice, I double check the Input Overlay v. 4.5.Zip against VirusTotal.
I am now getting 2 detections from VirusTotal. (In the past it was zero per your post)
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/4...5d18f1caf5e8eeaa9007482b3d6a01a6313/detection
Bkav lists: W32.eHeur.Malware14
Cylance lists: Unsafe

Can you please double check ?
Don't check the entire zip archive. Check the individual dlls, since those contain the actual program that you'll end up running.
A zip file will very rarely be a virus in itself, the contents of the archive matter and they get zero detections.
If you still don't trust me, there's always the option of grabbing the source code, reading it and compiling it yourself.

NotLuthera

I'm loving this overlay. One question: is there anything you can suggest to use it with an MMO mouse (I have a corsair scimitar) I've made the overlay PNG no problem. just not sure what to identify the input of the side buttons

Maybe I missed a post or preset somewhere, but haven't been able to find it anywhere. :P

univrsal

I'm loving this overlay. One question: is there anything you can suggest to use it with an MMO mouse (I have a corsair scimitar) I've made the overlay PNG no problem. just not sure what to identify the input of the side buttons

Maybe I missed a post or preset somewhere, but haven't been able to find it anywhere. :P
The mouse presets are a little tricky as of right now. It can only contain left mouse button, right mouse button, scroll wheel up, scroll wheel down, scroll wheel pressed down and two side buttons (Used to go back and forth in the browser).

If that's all you need you can copy the normal mouse-no-movement.ini and modify it.
For the left mouse button you would modify the following values:
Code:
2_mouse_lmb_u_v=1,1
2_mouse_lmb_w_h=139,174
2_mouse_lmb_x_y=2,0
"u_v" is the location in the texture with the first number being the pixels counted from the right side and the second the pixels from the top (Note that it's not 0,0 because you have to have a 1 pixel border around the entire texture).
"w_h" is the width and height of the left mouse button
"x_y" is the position of the button in the final layout, that you'll see in OBS.

If you need a more complex overlay you'll have to wait a little, since I'm planning on reworking the config for overlays

Salsam

Is there a way to include Joystick (and other devices) inputs into "input history"?
Atm all my keyboard inputs are shown but none of the key inputs my joystick is sending

Altreus

Hello good sir. Hope you are well. Thank you for putting the time into this plugin!

I have noticed an issue whereby the characters < and > are not recognised on a QWERTY keyboard. (These are on , and . respectively.) If I press , or . this causes a blank line to show up in the input history, and if I press < or > this causes three RSHIFTs in a row. I see you are working on 5.0 and I am in no great rush to record anything soon but if you have an idea of what might cause this behaviour it would be cool to get a fix for it!

Also, sometimes it doesn't seem to go as fast as me and it omits some keypresses, but that is only obvious when I'm typing.

I also have some suggestions that you might consider:

* When ignoring repeated keys, put [KEY] x [NUMBER] to indicate how many times in a row it was pressed
* Have options for lowercase names in the history
* Collect keypresses within a certain time limit onto one line, so if the person is typing, the thing they typed shows up on one line instead of one line per letter.

I think this plugin would be super cool for some tutorial videos I have planned but the game really makes heavy use of < and > so that will be difficult right now :(

thanks!

univrsal

Hello good sir. Hope you are well. Thank you for putting the time into this plugin!

I have noticed an issue whereby the characters < and > are not recognised on a QWERTY keyboard. (These are on , and . respectively.) If I press , or . this causes a blank line to show up in the input history, and if I press < or > this causes three RSHIFTs in a row. I see you are working on 5.0 and I am in no great rush to record anything soon but if you have an idea of what might cause this behaviour it would be cool to get a fix for it!

Also, sometimes it doesn't seem to go as fast as me and it omits some keypresses, but that is only obvious when I'm typing.

I also have some suggestions that you might consider:

* When ignoring repeated keys, put [KEY] x [NUMBER] to indicate how many times in a row it was pressed
* Have options for lowercase names in the history
* Collect keypresses within a certain time limit onto one line, so if the person is typing, the thing they typed shows up on one line instead of one line per letter.

I think this plugin would be super cool for some tutorial videos I have planned but the game really makes heavy use of < and > so that will be difficult right now :(

thanks!
I noticed that a lot of special keys do not have a name in the history source, so I'll have to see how I'm going to handle that.
The repeating indicator (the x-times) should be doable, so I'll consider that. For lowercase names would you want the entire name to be lower case ("L-SHIFT" would turn into "l-shift") or just everything except the first letter ("SPACE" would turn into "Space")?
Lastly the collection of keypresses for when someone is typing is already implemented (it's called command mode and you can try it out in v4.6-pre), although it's not entirely where I want it to be.

NotLuthera

The mouse presets are a little tricky as of right now. It can only contain left mouse button, right mouse button, scroll wheel up, scroll wheel down, scroll wheel pressed down and two side buttons (Used to go back and forth in the browser).

If that's all you need you can copy the normal mouse-no-movement.ini and modify it.
For the left mouse button you would modify the following values:
Code:
2_mouse_lmb_u_v=1,1
2_mouse_lmb_w_h=139,174
2_mouse_lmb_x_y=2,0
"u_v" is the location in the texture with the first number being the pixels counted from the right side and the second the pixels from the top (Note that it's not 0,0 because you have to have a 1 pixel border around the entire texture).
"w_h" is the width and height of the left mouse button
"x_y" is the position of the button in the final layout, that you'll see in OBS.

If you need a more complex overlay you'll have to wait a little, since I'm planning on reworking the config for overlays

thanks! yeah i was looking for something that would let me track the input from the numberpad on the side of the mouse. i made the PNG no problem but wasn't sure if the code was there for monitoring those inputs. excited to see the updates you have in store.

univrsal

thanks! yeah i was looking for something that would let me track the input from the numberpad on the side of the mouse. i made the PNG no problem but wasn't sure if the code was there for monitoring those inputs. excited to see the updates you have in store.
In the meantime you can try and see what keycodes the numpad on your mouse has by running "demo_hook.exe", which is inside the "util" folder in the zip archive.
If the console outputs nothing when you press any of these buttons, I'm afraid that the plugin will probably not be able to display them since I cannot query their state.

fatihG_

Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the plugin only supports the xbox 360 controller gamepad.

Are there any plans on including support for more/ other gamepads.

For example I know allot of people/speedrunners that would like to get a DS4 to work with this. Or even more retro flavoured co trollers like the 8bitdo.
Which windows recognizes as a 'wireless controller' and 'SFC30 controller' respectively.

As you can imagine speedrunners/hardcore gamers would like to avoid software like InputMapper or x360ce(which btw doesnt work with your plugin) to avoid adding unnecesary input lag.

So if you were able to add support for more gamepads that would be awesome man.

I could offer you some graphics for multiple gamepads if you are willing to fast track this.
(I had already created a working SNES graphic/.ini. Now that I understand the process I can easily add DS4, 360, xOne, etc.)

Cheers,

Fatih

univrsal

Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the plugin only supports the xbox 360 controller gamepad.

Are there any plans on including support for more/ other gamepads.

For example I know allot of people/speedrunners that would like to get a DS4 to work with this. Or even more retro flavoured co trollers like the 8bitdo.
Which windows recognizes as a 'wireless controller' and 'SFC30 controller' respectively.

As you can imagine speedrunners/hardcore gamers would like to avoid software like InputMapper or x360ce(which btw doesnt work with your plugin) to avoid adding unnecesary input lag.

So if you were able to add support for more gamepads that would be awesome man.

I could offer you some graphics for multiple gamepads if you are willing to fast track this.
(I had already created a working SNES graphic/.ini. Now that I understand the process I can easily add DS4, 360, xOne, etc.)

Cheers,

Fatih
I don't know how those gamepads work, I just use the DirectX API. Anything that works with it should work with the plugin (For PS3/4 controllers you'd use DS3/4 Tool which makes these controllers behave like Xbox controllers). I could technically try to use SDL2 (But I don't know if it can capture gamepad input system-wide) but that would be an additional dependency and I'm not sure if I want to go into that.

Currently I have a long list of things I want to do for 5.0, so for now I can't guarantee anything. Also since the config structure will completely change, you'll have to update the configs, I appreciate the offer though.
So for now I'm in the middle of going through my todo list and when I'm done I'll get back to you.

Edit: Testing with SDL showed that it can't capture gamepad input when the SDL Window isn't focused, which means it's not an alternative.

Last edited: