Question / Help I need advice for recording settings (system specs in the text)

HowieOBS

Well I am a complete noob when it comes to all these settings in OBS.
I recorded RAGE for 39 episodes now on a low bitrate and that was just fine cause the game struggles with reloading textures and stuff anyways.
Now I am trying to record some Fallout 4 with mods and it just looks like crap. If I turn up the Bitrate though my video starts lagging.
Without Recording I am between 55 and 60 fps ingame. 40 fps avarage

My Specs:

Intel Core I5 3470 (4 x 3,2 GHZ)
GTX 1080 8GB VRAM
8GB RAM DDR3
WIN 7
HDD / SSD Drives

I dont know the CPU is not to strong (its from 2012) and it kinda bottlenecks the 1080 so I guess its better for me to use nvenc.
Just tell me which settings you would use on that system in a pretty demanding title like Fallout...
( Without rec. I am on 55-60 fps. 40fps + watchable video quality on 1080p would be great)

Thanks,
Peace

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
For high-quality, no fuss recordings, use the recording quality presets.
  1. Under Settings > Output, set the mode to Simple output.
  2. In the recording section, change the Recording Quality to Indistinguishable Quality
  3. Select your encoder. A hardware encoder is recommended if it is available.
For more information on local recordings, check out this guide.

HowieOBS

Thank you for the answer but I tried this already. When I start a recording with these settings, its visually pretty good but the problem is that it runs smoothly for the first 10 seconds or something and starts lagging really hard afterwards.
The game is running on 40 -50 fps so that is not the problem.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
If your game is running at 40-50 FPS, you're already unable to hold a steady 60 FPS, which means you're already straining your GPU somehow (or other components that interact with it). Please post a log file using the settings I suggested above, as those are likely to be the least stressful settings already. Open OBS, record for a while (30 seconds minimum), close OBS, open OBS, and then upload the Last Log File (Help > Log Files > Upload Last Log File).