Question / Help How to use url-text.py

MinddestroyedTV

Apparently OBS Studio has a Python script that allows for text sources to be updated from a URL. When I went scripts under the tools tab, it listed no properties available for the url-text.py script. Does the URL text script actually work? And if so, how do I enable it? https://obsproject.com/logs/FHqDh8upNLMCUP3S
noscript.PNG

koala

You need to download and install Python for Windows and point OBS to the Python installation directory in the "Python Settings" tab of OBS. Python doesn't come bundled with OBS.

At the time this post was made, OBS 25.0.4 is current and its docs say you need Python 3.6, although there are newer Python versions available.
At the time this post was made, it seems the most recent Python 3.6 for Windows is 3.6.8, which can be downloaded here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-368/

MinddestroyedTV

You need to download and install Python for Windows and point OBS to the Python installation directory in the "Python Settings" tab of OBS. Python doesn't come bundled with OBS.

At the time this post was made, OBS 25.0.4 is current and its docs say you need Python 3.6, although there are newer Python versions available.
At the time this post was made, it seems the most recent Python 3.6 for Windows is 3.6.8, which can be downloaded here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-368/
Thank you.

JamieC

Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about python. I can't figure this out. I downloaded and installed python. I pointed the python setting in OBS to the install folder. Now what? Do I run the script somehow? How do I designate the url or the text file?

koala

You go to Tools->Scripts and add the script you want to use to the Scripts tab. Once it is added, click on it to select it and you get the property settings of the script. If you don't get any properties, the script you selected either has no properties or the script interpreter cannot be run successfully. In case of the url-text.py, the property page will look like this:

1588512917386.png

If you enter a correct url and assign some existing text source, it will do its work automatically.

JamieC

Thank you for your help.
I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't see any settings for that script. I downloaded version 3.6.8 of Python and installed it. I directed the python settings to the install folder for python. User/me/Appdata/Local/Programs/Python/Python36-32. I added the script and still no setting options. That was the default for the python install. Should I install it somewhere else?

WBE

It is ok to have Python at the AppData folder. Please make sure the correct Python 3.6.x version is installed. On a 64 bit operating system, you should have the 64 bit Python version.

Within OBS Studio please have a look at Help, Log Files, View Current Log for any error messages regarding Python.

JamieC

Thanks again.
I see the script properties now. It looks like I didn't have the 64 bit version installed.

Josh U

I am having the same issue as above. I have the 64 bit 3.6 installed and pointed to the folder but still can not get any options from the script