Hardware Encoder on M1 Pro Overloads Horrifically

andrews54757

The hardware encoder on M1 Pro using OBS 27.1.3 is not performing well. Recording using the base resolution of the screen (3024x1964), the hardware encoder will overload just by drag-shaking the OBS window rapidly with nothing else running at the same time. There are many dropped frames in the output video making it unwatchable. This happens despite CPU usage remaining low throughout.

This seems to be an issue present only on the M1 Pro/Max. I've not encountered this problem when using OBS on an M1 mac (2560x1600). The software encoders are of no help at these high resolutions -- they too will quickly become overloaded.

While a lower resolution does alleviate the issue, I'd like to record at native resolution. Moreover, while QuickTime player is able to record without problem, it is not desirable for my usage since it doesn't have the same compositional features OBS has.

andrews54757

I think I resolved the issue by updating MacOS to 12.1. It works fine now. maybe there was a macos bug? maybe restarting cleared something? idk, but it works now.