Question / Help Get video source from UDP stream vlc to OBS

Jorgie44

Hi there, I wanted to get my camera source to OBS, I am using wifi udp stream available in my camera Sony pxw-70. I am able to watch the UDP stream in vlc but i am not able to get that source in obs.
I have tried to capture window but there's a flickering glitch in window capture. Didn't work
I have tried to save the playlist and add vlc video source and open saved playlist. Didn't work.
How do I get my camera input to obs.
I Have capture card. Wired connection is what am doing presently, but at times my camera need to move to different location or laptop vice versa. Thats why am going with wireless video transmission
I have added two screenshots. 1.camera feed in vlc udp stream and in "finder" the saved playlist
2.obs with blank response in browser with playlist playing.
Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 12.51.32 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 12.51.43 AM.png

shadango

Hi there, I wanted to get my camera source to OBS, I am using wifi udp stream available in my camera Sony pxw-70. I am able to watch the UDP stream in vlc but i am not able to get that source in obs.
I have tried to capture window but there's a flickering glitch in window capture. Didn't work
I have tried to save the playlist and add vlc video source and open saved playlist. Didn't work.
I Have capture card. Wired connection is what am doing presently, but at times my camera need to move to different location or laptop vice versa. Thats why am going with wireless video transmission
I have added two screenshots. 1.camera feed in vlc udp stream and in "finder" the saved playlist
View attachment 45232View attachment 45233
Hi

Did you ever find a solution?

I also have an X70 and want to use it for WIFI streaming to Vimeo....

shadango

So just in case anyone else is trying this.....I found the fix on YouTube. Out of the box, OBS and VLC apparently cannot talk to each other....you need a plugin called NDI Tools. Once that plug in was installed, it was easy peasy and it works great! Here is the link in case anyone else is... I hate leaving questions like this without an answer...hoping to help the next person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr-rAAqVMa0&t=11s

Norm Chan

Found a simple way to get an udp stream into OBS without using NDI. You just have to open the stream with VLC, then save it to a VLC playlist (.xspf). Make sure that the stream is the only track on the playlist. After saving the playlist, you can close VLC. From OBS, add a VLC video source and select the .xspf playlist as media file. You can change the Visibility behavior to "Always play even when not visible" if desired. This method also works with RTSP streams, and likely with other streams that VLC can play.

Norm Chan

View attachment 45232View attachment 45233
I see that your "VLC Video Source" is muted in the photo. When you transition to the scene, do you see the stream on the Program window? You can also set the "Visibility behavior" in your source properties to "Always play even when not visible". Sometimes you'll have to go into source properties and click on the playlist item before OBS can log onto the stream.