Game is fluid, but preview and game capture stuttering / lagging

Ariakan972

Hi!
I read a lot of post in the forum, and tried everything and I can't find whats wrong.
I have a good PC ( i7-13700k, 4070 RTX, 32Gb RAM, SSD...) and I have this problem :

Sometimes, randomly, for no apparent reason, OBS can't get me a fluid capture of my game.
The game is fluid, and suddenly I have choppy framerate for 2 minutes, and then eveything is fine, and it comes back...
I does it even when I'm not reccording / streaming, I can see it in the preview screen !

I disabled HAGS, use OBS as admin, put my game at the lowest possible, just to be sure my PC is not struggling (even if I know it's NOT), and I did manage to capture one of this moment. The game is 100% fluid (60fps), but you will see what it does to my recording / stream (Even when I'm not recording. I say it again before you tells me to not use Quicksync. I use it because I use NVENC for streaming, but I use my iGPU for recording and let my GPU with less things to do). My CPU / GPU usage are far from 100%.

I only have one scene, with only one "Capture Game". (it does the same with "Capture Display")

Here is the video (look at 30 sec): https://youtu.be/bsE_v-07nUU?t=30
Here is the log : https://obsproject.com/tools/analyzer?log_url=https://obsproject.com/logs/0ABWeCBPDxO6pVhF

Thank you for your help ! :)

Ariakan972

It seems to be an obscure problem not resolved... :(

rockbottom

Can you check with this disabled? You log looks OK. I run my set-up 12900k/3090 with the GPU handling the recording & QuickSync the streaming.

12:18:57.041: Avira Security: enabled (AV)

rockbottom

Check the Nvida 3D settings.

Monitor Tech Fixed Refresh - If your monitor is set for G-Sync, disable it.
Texture Filter Quality: Quality, not HQ
V-Sync Fast
Triple Buffering On

Ariakan972

Check the Nvida 3D settings.

Monitor Tech Fixed Refresh - If your monitor is set for G-Sync, disable it.
Texture Filter Quality: Quality, not HQ
V-Sync Fast
Triple Buffering On
Apart from the antivirus that I couldn't deactivate, nothing has changed, I still have the problems that appear randomly...
I tried with Streamlabs, and I have the same problem.
I will try later without the antivirus, although honestly I think it won't work.

Thank you for your response and advice!

rockbottom

To know for sure the antivirus must go.

Check your GPU with GPU-Z & make sure it's operating @ x16 4.0 & not x8 4.0 as this will cause stuttering with the 4070 as well..

Ariakan972

To know for sure the antivirus must go.

Check your GPU with GPU-Z & make sure it's operating @ x16 4.0 & not x8 4.0 as this will cause stuttering with the 4070 as well..
Yes, it works at x16 4.0.
I have no stuttering when I play games, it only happens in OBS. :(

rockbottom

Cool, ran across a few systems where a NVMe was installed in the wrong slot so it's always good to double check it.

Back to the Nvidia Control Panel, make sure Preferred Refresh Rate is set to Highest Available.

rockbottom

I double checked your log, other than using CBR for recording, OBS looks fine. Your system is causing the stuttering so changing settings in OBS will do nothing to improve the current situation.

FWIW, I don't think it's hardware issue, but more likely the anti-virus, GPU driver, or even a backround app running. It will require further troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it.

Harold

Display capture is going to offer worse performance than game capture.

But all of this, and what media player are you using to check your recordings?

Ariakan972

I double checked your log, other than using CBR for recording, OBS looks fine. Your system is causing the stuttering so changing settings in OBS will do nothing to improve the current situation.

FWIW, I don't think it's hardware issue, but more likely the anti-virus, GPU driver, or even a backround app running. It will require further troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it.
I unplugged all USB devices (not my keyboard/mouse and my xbox controller) and close all programs and kill all unnecessary processes, and I still have the problem.

I even bought an internal capture card (HD60 Pro) which captures my RTX 4070 directly and it's the same. On the preview (or in the recordings) I have jerks that appear frequently, but not on my games.

I put two different scenes: one with display capture, the other with game capture. When the jerks appear on one, I just have to switch to the other for it to disappear. And when it appears on the second, I go back to the first.

It seems to be a video frequency synchronization problem on the part of OBS, as indicated in the links I posted above... But apparently no one has any idea how to solve this problem.

I tried someone's idea of a capture card, but it failed.
Display capture is going to offer worse performance than game capture.

But all of this, and what media player are you using to check your recordings?
I use VLC, but that's not the playback is not the problem at all. :)

I use display capture, game capture and video capture device (for the HD60 Pro).

rockbottom

It's not OBS, if it was everybody would have stuttering.

The anti-virus needs to be disabled or removed as IT may be the cause & until it is I see no point moving forward with additional troubleshooting.

rockbottom

In the meantime, check the Startup tab in Task Manager. Disable everything on Startup that you don't need running. Another test you can try is to disable the iGPU in BIOS & see if that helps. While in there, make sure the 4070 is set as the Primary GPU.

rockbottom

Disable the iGPU now & test again. What mobo did you have, I need the exact model & the BIOS version you're running. I want to check & see if there are any issues that a BIOS update may address.

Ariakan972

In the meantime, check the Startup tab in Task Manager. Disable everything on Startup that you don't need running. Another test you can try is to disable the iGPU in BIOS & see if that helps. While in there, make sure the 4070 is set as the Primary GPU.
I already did that (the startup things I disabled), but I'll double check later. I have to go, but I'll make a new test : record with obs AND another app at the same time (any recommandation?) to see if this is OBS or something else.

As we can read here, some developers managed to reproduce the bug, but I think they didn't found what it was...

rockbottom

OBS & vMix are the only programs that I've ever tried & I stopped using vMix about 2 years ago so I really don't have any other app to recommend.

2+ year old thread, using v26 on a laptop? That doesn't apply here...

Thx, I'll take a look.

rockbottom

Not sure if the board is updated this far.

AMI BIOS 7E06vA2 2022-10-12 9.00 MB
  • Description:
    - Update CPU Micro code. - Improve graphics card compatibility.

Last edited: