Resource icon

FFmpeg Encoders for OBS Studio 0.4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenshi3

Here I start and stop a record, then attempt a stream. Let me know if you need anything else

Attachments

• 2019-11-28 15-34-00.txt
    52.9 KB · Views: 94

Xaymar

Here I start and stop a record, then attempt a stream. Let me know if you need anything else

Odd, it's still finding the opus encoder even though it has been completely renamed from 'opus' to 'obs-ffmpeg-encoder_opus'. Since audio encoders are currently not implemented, your only choice would be to use Mixer RTMP or uninstall the plugin until they are supported (which may be quite some time)

Tenshi3

Ok, well thanks for looking into it. I've removed the plugin for now as I think the FTL is probably more important for me.

I'll keep an eye out for updates and let me know if I can be useful as a test dummy for future versions!

BangBang1337

I'm new to OBS but I have a quick question about this plugin. I see most people use this for recording but can this be used for streaming as well? Does this get better quality compared to the newest version of Nvidia NVENC? I am running a new Turing GPU. If I could get even more quality out of it then what I'm getting now that would be great!.

Also, if you can stream with it does anyone have any settings that could allow me to get the max quality on twitch streaming at 100x900 6K bit rate? Any help would be great! Thank you!

Nicktacular42

Hi, I am new to using the forums but I have an issue. I installed the plugin with the installer. but it hasn't worked? Bit unsure why
Any help would be appreciated.

Xaymar

I'm new to OBS but I have a quick question about this plugin. I see most people use this for recording but can this be used for streaming as well? Does this get better quality compared to the newest version of Nvidia NVENC? I am running a new Turing GPU. If I could get even more quality out of it then what I'm getting now that would be great!.

Also, if you can stream with it does anyone have any settings that could allow me to get the max quality on twitch streaming at 100x900 6K bit rate? Any help would be great! Thank you!

Quality is subjective and mostly trial and error. There are no one-shot settings, though it is possible to get slightly better quality than the built in nvenc. In theory the best settings are 2 B-Frames, High Quality CBR, Two Pass Enabled, B-Frame REference mode half, No Spatial AQ, Temporal AQ Enabled, 32 Frames Lookahead, No Weighted Prediction. However this changes per game, with some games preferring 1 B-Frame or even 3 B-Frames.

Hi, I am new to using the forums but I have an issue. I installed the plugin with the installer. but it hasn't worked? Bit unsure why
Any help would be appreciated.

You need Visual C++ Redist 2019 and the latest Windows 10 update for these:
- UCRT: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
- VC Redist (64-bit): https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

BangBang1337

Quality is subjective and mostly trial and error. There are no one-shot settings, though it is possible to get slightly better quality than the built in nvenc. In theory the best settings are 2 B-Frames, High Quality CBR, Two Pass Enabled, B-Frame REference mode half, No Spatial AQ, Temporal AQ Enabled, 32 Frames Lookahead, No Weighted Prediction. However this changes per game, with some games preferring 1 B-Frame or even 3 B-Frames.

I mainly play FPS games like COD. But I will certainly try this out. Thank you very much. I'm always doing my best to get the best possible quality. As for me. I look for a constantly sharp and clear image. The less pixelation on movement the better kinda deal.

BangBang1337

You need Visual C++ Redist 2019 and the latest Windows 10 update for these:
- UCRT: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
- VC Redist (64-bit): https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
Also as for my question from before. What would be the best preset to try these settings with? Or does that not matter? I see there's a profile spot as well which I have set too high. I'm not sure what the highest quality option is. OBS has a ton of options compared to what I am used to lol

Xaymar

I mainly play FPS games like COD. But I will certainly try this out. Thank you very much. I'm always doing my best to get the best possible quality. As for me. I look for a constantly sharp and clear image. The less pixelation on movement the better kinda deal.

Fast paced games prefer 2 B-Frames or even 1 B-Frame. With very low bitrates, even 0 B-Frames might be beneficial.

Also as for my question from before. What would be the best preset to try these settings with? Or does that not matter?

Preset only sets up the basic parameters. For the highest quality, select "High Quality". For example, these are my settings which work quite well:
2019-12-04T00-23-40_obs64_MiserableNavajowhiteOrca.png

BangBang1337

Fast paced games prefer 2 B-Frames or even 1 B-Frame. With very low bitrates, even 0 B-Frames might be beneficial.

Preset only sets up the basic parameters. For the highest quality, select "High Quality". For example, these are my settings which work quite well:
2019-12-04T00-23-40_obs64_MiserableNavajowhiteOrca.png
I see you have spatial AQ On vs off and look ahead to 16 vs 32? Would I benefit from those being the same or sticking to 32 frames look ahead off?

Xaymar

I see you have spatial AQ On vs off and look ahead to 16 vs 32? Would I benefit from those being the same or sticking to 32 frames look ahead off?

Spatial AQ is useful because most of my streams are text or development, very few games. In game streams I have it off.

Lookahead depends on how much you want GPU usage you want to take away from the game. In practice there's next to no noticable difference between 16, 24 and 32, but 32 will of course give the best quality (at the cost of being 32 frame delayed).

BangBang1337

Spatial AQ is useful because most of my streams are text or development, very few games. In-game streams, I have it off.

Lookahead depends on how much you want GPU usage you want to take away from the game. In practice, there's next to no noticeable difference between 16, 24 and 32, but 32 will, of course, give the best quality (at the cost of being 32 frames delayed).

Ah, so maxing this option out wouldn't be so bad for me seeing as I use a Dual PC set up. So I don't mind having it use the entire GPU. Thank you very much for all the help. I'm excited to try these settings out shortly!

Weizhi

If the FFmpeg encoder can also support 10bit, that would be great.

MOD NOTE: Original message edited to translate to English.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaymar

如果FFmpeg编码器 也可以支持10bit,那就太好了 。

Anything the encoders in ffmpeg supports is also supported by the plugin. ProRes is 10-bit btw, however OBS Studio is not, so a conversion from 8 to 10-bit is done.

cs9k

Hello! I've been using your encoders for a while and would like to thank you for the work you've done so far for OBS Studio! I'm on current NVidia drivers 441.41, OBS Studio 24.0.3, with the latest VC Redist installed, using an NVidia GTX 1080 SC (Pascal).

I regularly record my gameplay locally. In OBS Studio, with the NV12 color format selected, all 264 and 265 NVENC encoders work as expected (obs-native, custom ffmpeg, and Xaymar ffmpeg). The obs-native NVENC and custom ffmpeg encoders both in 264 and 265, will accept the I444 color format and record it properly, however, when I select the I444 color format with the Xaymar encoder, I receive the following warnings when I try to start the recording:

12:13:15.668: warning: deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly
12:13:15.668: warning: Warning: data is not aligned! This can lead to a speed loss
12:13:19.054: error: Unsupported pixel format: yuv444p
12:13:19.054: [obs-ffmpeg-encoder] Unexpected exception in function '_create_texture': Failed to initialize AVHWFramesContext..

I have spent hours googling and tried virtually every encoder setting and command line argument, but the Xaymar encoders only function properly with the NV12 color format selected.

If I444 is a feature that is possible to add in the future, I look forward to it! If not, then that's fine; I444 capability with your encoder would just be nice to have.

Thank you for your help! <3

Xaymar

If I444 is a feature that is possible to add in the future, I look forward to it! If not, then that's fine; I444 capability with your encoder would just be nice to have.

I444 requires you to select the proper profile for it, H264 requires you to select high444p. I don't know if the encoders support hardware I444, so you might have to use the software-assisted versions for those.

cs9k

Thank you for the prompt reply. After some more experimenting, it appears that you are correct, despite what NVidia's encoder/decoder matrix would imply.

Thanks, and keep being awesome!

Blansi

Quick question: What are the best options to achieve max quality recording? I'm using it to record my streams, actually I'm getting a nice quality, but I would like to know from the expert :P

P.S: I'm recording PS4 with elgato HD60

Status
Not open for further replies.