Question / Help Encoding Overload but low CPU usage

Semke

Streaming since I got this PC has been smooth and i've been gradually increasing settings over the past months, i've had the settings listed below on for like a whole month now and suddenly last night the stream started lagging and dropping FPS, not actual frames dropped but the FPS counter dropping to below 30's in a variety of games. Last night when this started the CPU usage was quite high and GPU usage was at 100% between Rocket League and Welcome to The Game 2 (Problems first started on this game), I left it there for the night and came on today to stream some meme ROBLOX and to my surprise this time CPU and GPU usage were both below 50% (CPU at about 30% overall and 20-25% for OBS) however framerate of the stream was dropping again and OBS kept warning me about encoder overload. I honestly have no clue what it could be considering this rig. I have up to date drivers and all.

First of all PC specs:
i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz
G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200MHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda

OBS Studio Settings:
1280x720 @ 60FPS
x264 Encoder
6000 Bitrate
Fast CPU Usage Preset

Log File for last stream (WITH AN EMPTY SCENE AND JUST GAME CAP):
https://hastebin.com/izavoqaguc

Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

there is no recording/stream attempt in that log file, but a huge amount of browser-sources and game_capture+monitor_capture in the same scene.
Maybe create a new, completely empty scene-collection and only add game_capture for testing. When you check your CPU load/encoder load after adding sources, you might find out, if any of those sources is causing the problem.

Semke

there is no recording/stream attempt in that log file, but a huge amount of browser-sources and game_capture+monitor_capture in the same scene.
Maybe create a new, completely empty scene-collection and only add game_capture for testing. When you check your CPU load/encoder load after adding sources, you might find out, if any of those sources is causing the problem.
Tried with a brand new scene with just Game Capture, CPU and GPU basically the same (CPU @ 30%-40% and GPU @ <20% on ROBLOX that is) and picked up a new log for it which should be correct:
https://hastebin.com/izavoqaguc

BK-Morpheus

Can you check the taskmanager to see, which processes are using the CPU and how much load they produce?
The 8700k should be able to encode 720p 60fps fast preset, as long as the game is not using too many cores (and as long, as there is some kind of fps limit in place).

Semke

Can you check the taskmanager to see, which processes are using the CPU and how much load they produce?
The 8700k should be able to encode 720p 60fps fast preset, as long as the game is not using too many cores (and as long, as there is some kind of fps limit in place).
On idle the CPU moves between 4%-8% with Chrome and Discord being the top 2 processes, discord only up to 2% and Chrome jumping 3%+ depending on task

Connor Stewart

I've recently gotten an AMD ryzen 7 1800x and i was having the same issue. I have figured out how to resolve it.
1. Open Obs
2. Open task Manager
3. Go to details in task manager
4. Find Obs
5. Click on Obs then click on set affinity
6. even out your cores.
7. make half your cores for obs, and half cores for game.
8. Hopefully this works for you!