Question / Help Elgato game capture HD60

Hollywood4G

Ugh where to start..

I've been screwing around with settings for about 2 weeks now and I still haven't been able to get this thing to actually work with OBS, i've followed countless tips and guides on how to set things up and nothing works.

I'm getting bad audio desync (No matter what buffering I put it at. It either starts out fine and then starts desyncing or it just desyncs right off the bat)

I'm getting audio drop outs and audio flickering

And i'm getting really choppy frames when I stream or record, even though it says i'm not dropping any frames.

I'm at my breaking point on this, i'm so frustrated, everything I try doesn't work and it has to be something with OBS because the normal elgato software records just fine and streams fine (While shity compared to OBS standards)

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Yes, people are having issues with the HD60 in OBS. You'll most likely need to wait for a future OBS version for everything to work correctly.

Hollywood4G

Would it be better to return this and get the older version? Or is there an ETA on when an update will come out to fix this? Would be great to have a capture card up and running for the games coming out in the next couple months.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
It would be better not to buy USB 2.0 capture devices at all unless you don't have any other choice, at which point the Live Gamer Portable seems to be the least terrible option at the moment.

Boildown

Use PCIe slot capture cards, not USB capture cards. I wouldn't wait around for OBS's rewrite, I'd just return it.

Hollywood4G

Which PCIe slot capture card would you recommend? I looked up the AverMedia Live gamer HD but i'm seeing a ton of mixed reviews on the thing, people saying they still have audio desync, frame drops and bricking when you firmware update. Any thoughts?

Boildown

Depends on what you're going to capture... Capturing consoles using composite video is different than consoles using component or a PC using HDMI.

Hollywood4G

I'm going to be capturing current gen consoles (Xbox one, PS4) and if it helps with taking some stress off the CPU for pc streaming, i'll use it for that as well.

But mainly HDMI xbox one streaming right now.

Boildown

If XBone doesn't have HDCP problems (I've read that the PS4 can just turn off HDCP), and you have a spare PCIe 4x slot or better on your motherboard, I recommend this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datapath-Limited-DGC150C-PCI-E-Video-Capture-Card-VisionRGB-E2-/111380795120 (more info here: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/datapath-vision-capture.12503 ).

If you don't want to take a chance on an ebay auction (its not mine btw), or only have a PCIe 1x slot available, then I recommend one of the Avermedias, like the Game Broadcaster or Live Gamer HD.

Boildown

Honestly i'm not to computer savvy, I know what a PCIe slot is but I have no clue if my motherboard has a 4x.

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULA/

That's the motherboard i'm using.

You should be fine.

If you get that capture card, you'll also need an adapter to go from HDMI to DVI. They are only a few dollars, you might already have one. Check out the pictures of the capture card's DVI interface and your X-box's HDMI interface to make sure you get the right kind (right genders on each end). You could put the adapter one the XBox side and use a DVI cable or on the capture card side and use a HDMI cable.

Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16
3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)
1 (x4 mode)
PCI Express x1

Pil

Jim, i don't know if this is the right tread for my question but I seen you are the right person to ask my questions :

Would Elgato HD60 be good for a person who wants to capture his PS4 gameplay for Youtube and also be able to stream to twitch. My desctop is slow Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz so PCI-E isn't much of an option for me but my notebook is i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (4cores/8threads), 8GB, 555M so I hope it should be enough even for adding overlay video to the OBS.

I know USB 2.0 Devices have like 1-3 seconds lag but HD60 has passthrough which is the best for me as my PS4 gameplay will be uninterupted with 1:1 pixel mapping& no delay & no color malformation, while i have my notebook next to me to record/stream. The only worry for me are audio out of sync issues and the 1080p@60fps streaming problems with HD60. 40mbps compression is fine with me, youtube and twitch will cut that very badly so there will be virtually no difference between putting raw & compressed data to youtube/twitch at full speed video.

Is there other alternative for 1080p@60fps. I have looked up the AVerMedia - ExtremeCap U3 but it has no passthrough and no hardware encoding chip. Having passthrough and hardware encoding chip inside is a HUGE plus for me as even the i7 2670QM notebook is not that fast and it running at 70-80 % CPU usage.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Just an update, the folks at elgato have figured out what the issue is, and will hopefully release a new version at some point after it's gone through QA testing.

Pil - if you have a PCI-E port on there then my recommendation is always to use PCI-E. Otherwise I suppose you have no choice. For USB 3.0 devices, there's also the xcapture-1, though I don't know if it has a passthrough.

Boildown

Pil (not OP):

Instead of passthrough you could use an HDMI splitter.

The PCIe on the slower computer and only USB on the faster computer is a real conundrum. That CPU really isn't fast enough to do much encoding at all.

If you don't intend to stream, just capture to the hard drive, you could use a GTX 750 or GTX 750 Ti in your Core 2 Duo system and use NVEnc encoding, it offloads all the CPU for the encode to the GPU so the slow CPU shouldn't affect it. Then you could use a PCIe capture card. Downside is that the quality for streaming in this way is pretty bad, you can only get good quality with a higher bitrate than people can stream.

Pil

Thanks Jim. I have been looking the xcapture-1 but it is twice the price of the HD60 and i only need HDMI capture. Some folks have been fine streaming and recording in the same time with Elgato`s Game Capture 2.0 at 1080p@60fps but alot have many problems. Since this will be resolved soon the Elgato HD60 would work fine for me. Will Elgato release new software version or there will be also OBS version update with full HD60 support ? The issue is just in the software right, I should be fine if i order my piece today ?

Boildown, i preffer using my notebook (2670QM 2.2GHz (4cores/8threads), 8GB, 555M) as it is alot faster than the Desctop ( E6750 & GTX 650 ). Also my Desctop PCI-E is used for a USB 3.0 card so using PCI-E would mean new motherboard + cpu. Thats why i got my eyes on the Elgato HD60. I just hope after Elgato applies the fixes it will work fine with OBS.

Micah Lauck

I'd also like an update on this. I've been reading these forums day in and day out trying to get this thing to work with OBS, but to no avail...shoulda got an avermedia live gamer HD =/ From numerous testing it appears that my audio and game video are synced, but my webcam will begin to be in advance of the audio and game video. In other words what happens on the webcam will happen BEFORE what happens with the synced audio and video, and all of this is progressive, it is synced up perfectly in the beginning, and then slowly deteriorates into a desynced mess with my webcam. I know it is something wrong with elgato because the problem is even worse in xsplit, as just after a minute or two im already seeing 5 seconds plus of delay from it compared to my webcam which comes earlier. Whatever this issue is it needs to be addressed by the company. I think they may have bit off more than they can chew for trying to output so much power in such a tiny package. Also, note that when I use a mic in either program it syncs perfectly with my webcam, so the webcam desync is out of the picture here. Any update on this would be fantastic, Jim.

Nurkk

I also am having the desync problem. Nothing I've tried or anything someone has suggested has helped so far. Any information regarding if it's a problem with the Elgato itself or OBS would be greatly appreciated!