Duplicates frames in recording / streams

JackTheRipperGB

I have been heavily troubled by having duplicated frames in my recording / streams causing stutters on stream. No encoding or rendering lag reported or dropped frames by twitch
I have extremely powerful pc 12900k + 3080ti, i have my games fps locked and never close to maxing out system.
Using nvenc two moniotrs 120 hz (downscaled from 144) Running obs as admin, i tried almost everything at this point. did fresh install of gpu drivers etc.

The only abnormality i found is this line, having extremely high max ms but i have no idea what it means, and what could be the source of it. Could really use some help.
01:00:52.661: obs_graphics_thread(16.6667 ms): min=0.053 ms, median=0.313 ms, max=536.008 ms, 99th percentile=0.629 ms, 99.9943% below 16.667 ms
01:00:52.661: ┣tick_sources: min=0 ms, median=0.025 ms, max=535.899 ms, 99th percentile=0.13 ms (Not from log below, but all my logs tend to have high ms in this section, and the log before is from stream which had duplicates and stutters 100%)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2022-02-13 14-23-04.txt
    18 KB · Views: 80

JackTheRipperGB

Ive done more testing, recording 60 fps video tends to be a lot more abundant on duplicated frames compared to 120, HOWEVER when rewatching 120 fps video frame by frame i notice the moments which sorta appear to stutter but not having duplicated frames sorta appear as fast forwarded frames. As If instead of lets say taking every second frame 2 4 6 8 10 12 etc, it couldnt find frame 4 so it took frame 5. => 2 5 6 8 10 12. And then it makes sense why it appears stuttery when taking from 120 frames, and duplicates frames on 60 fps. Also game doesnt report frame time drop or fps drop during duplicated frames. Any idea what could be causing it? this problem is driving me insane, considering ppl with worse set ups than mine tend to not have this, which means its not hardware but i havent modified my system at all and this is happening.
Tried turning off gpu scheduling didnt help either

JackTheRipperGB

Regarding frame time spikes fps, them seem to alighn somewhat with with 120 frame skips, however when reviewing 60 fps, it seems to duplicate on solid 60 fps with 16s frame time. But i obv cant force the game to always be 120 fps rock solid, as a lot of them seem to fluctuate even with 3080ti on somewhat old game, its not always rock solid. Or is it my gpu being faulty here?

JackTheRipperGB

Upon reviewing 60 fps vod even more, it tends to have like smallest dip from 60 => game reports 59 or 59,8 fps and like 16.9 frametime in a frame and it goes back ( few frames delay upon drop happening and game reporting). But i have no problem running this game above 120 fps, What can i do to ensure it never dips to get smooth footage. How can other streamers ensure silky smooth 60, if any dip can cause this.

JackTheRipperGB

it might seem silly but i found solution to this, i had 120 / 120 two monitor set up.
The fix to stuttering/ lag was setting second monitor ( for obs) to 60 fps to have 120/60 set up
Apparently any dip below 120 on the main monitor ( gaming one) would result in stuttering on recording due to poor interaction of windows between two 120 monitors if one of them goes below 120? Even 60 fps recording on main monitor ( during 120 / 120 set up) would appear stuttery randomly, But after doing so i have 0 duplicated frames ( with 120 / 60 set up). Hope it helps someone who has weird problem like this just like me. I have been trying to solve this for months

terrorfrog

oh 2 monitors is now a real PIA. worse it gets mit cloning to capturecard. thats a hole nightmare rabbit hole.

also keep in mind 120 are never really 120, its just rounded reported. look in windows under advanced settings ob that display what the real output is. if one display is at 119,997 and another is at 120.05 this can cause wierd issues.

but it goes even further with that. hell iam able tgo lag out my game by starting recording on the second PC just by cloning it.
yea thata right defys the purpose of a 2pc setup totally lol

and newest obs is wierd AF anyway with different FPS rates. hell it seems now the game uses the FPS OBS wants to record (at least it feels like it) but i get massive frameskipping in game when i run a recording / replay buffer on 240fps

JackTheRipperGB

Nope, sadly i didnt fix it. Still have duplicate frames on solid 60 fps, 120 fps has a lot less duplicates but it again it seems to skip a frame and go to more forwarded one resulting in fast forwarded points which appear as stutter

JackTheRipperGB

Bump. Updated bios, reinstalled windows 11, checked all components, cant figure it out for shit. Going frame by frame in the recording 60 fps 16.67 ms on each frame rock solid still random duplicate here and there.

cyclemat

duplicate frames you stream with one PC that make threads for game rendering encoding and so much more you PC is not a TV studio and TV studio have framedrops too but receivers corect it show me a video and show me please an example of the problem.

did you want better encoding or gaming ? you can give obs a higher prio on cpu.

but when you didn want make the twist between good encoding and gaming buy a good stream pc a good capture card like an magewell PCI and use a 2 PC setup and 2 Internet connections with QOS to prio game and OBs stream so its perfect !

and FPS timing is an problem 120 fps can drop in ms to 119,05 fps so it must corrected !

JackTheRipperGB

Why would two pc set up be a solution, when clearly my pc can handle streaming and playing the game at the same time. Ive not seeen any game surpass 40% use of gpu or cpu.
But for some reasons i just keep getting plagued with duplicate frames, ive no idea whats causing that. The preview in the obs starts stuttering and so does the recording at the result. IF anyone has a solution that doesnt involve second pc or a way to check waht causes problems, would be lovely.

JackTheRipperGB

The more, i dig into it. The more it seems the problem on obs having problem obtaining the required frames, however i dont understand, what could be causing this. I have no problem in game, it runs perfectly, but obs preview seems to randomly stutter. even though its set to high priority and everything.
I just got fresh instal of windows and ihavent messed with any settings yet im still having this problems, its beyond my understanding.

ChriX

The more, i dig into it. The more it seems the problem on obs having problem obtaining the required frames, however i dont understand, what could be causing this.

It's absolutely normal having duplicated (or dropped) franes with OBS, doesn't matter how powerful or fast is your PC.. since it's a realtime capture software and Its purpose is to capture frames fastest as possibile, but it will never be 100% ACCURATE and PRECISE (there are various technical reasons behind this). So you will never have a 1:1 frame match for the whole length of the captured video whatever you do (and it's the same with all other similar softwares).

I wouldn't think anymore about this "issue".. since it's not an issue at all, it's simply how the "realtime" capture through software works.

Befbo

I realize this is an old thread, but I have been searching for an answer to this problem for several years too. Nobody seems to know what the people with the problem are talking about. It'll be perfectly smooth for a number of seconds, then it'll just started stuttering for a second or two. There are multiple people reporting this problem in multiple threads, but it just seems to be a weird mystery. I also have the same problem when I record directly with Avermedia's recording software too. Hopefully some day the right person will come across one of these threads at the right time.