Question / Help CPU usage to high, drops frames when recording

xDisabledGaming

Hi, when I record at anything higher than 720p @ 30FPS my CPU usage sits at around 90% and my recording drops frames a lot but I believe my PC specs are good enough but I'll let you be the judge, let me know if and what I need to upgrade please

PC components:
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black
Graphics card: MSI AMD R7950 3GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 2013 Edition GS 800W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Thanks, any questions just ask

D

Deleted member 121471

If you're only recording, you have 2 options:

1) Encoder: x264, Rate control: CRF set between 18-23 (lower values= better quality and larger filesize), CPU preset: ultrafast, keyframe interval: 0;

2) Encoder: H264/AVC then you can try "high quality" or indistinguishable presets, if you don't want to bother setting up anything else OR no preset, Quality preset: Balanced, Rate Control: CQ set between 18-23 ((lower values= better quality and larger filesize).

I recommend the 2nd option, since recording does not limit the most important factor for good image quality, which is bitrate. If you can't see H264/AVC option in the encoder dropdown menu, install the latest AMD drivers that support your GPU and install the following OBS plugin:

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/amd-hardware-encoder-s.427/

Hardware upgrade is only necessary if neither option offered suffice. If you still have issues with these settings, post a logfile with these applied and a recording session.

Last edited by a moderator: