Ashmanix Countdown Timer

Ashmanix Countdown Timer 1.3.3

Ashmanix

Ashmanix submitted a new resource:

Countdown Timer - A countdown timer dockable window for OBS

This plugin is designed to allow you to use a text source in OBS to show a countdown timer that updates in real time. It is designed using the OBS C/C++ API and is therefore a native plugin.

Usage Guide​

To use the plugin:

1. Add an OBS Text Source to your scene.
  2. Select the Docks menu and click on Countdown Timer. (This should display the countdown dockable widget on screen)
  3. Either keep the plugin as a floating window or dock...

Read more about this resource...

ThrottleLP

Nice and Simple Plugin, but I discovered a simple bug (?): If you set it to time mode and set the target to a time already in the past, it won't start the timer at all. Wouldn't it be better to let the timer overflow and count down the set time next day (or give the option to do so)?
Example:
Current Time: 10:00:00
Set Time: 08:00:00
Timer: 22:00:00

Thank You So Much for taking the time for the detailed instructions! I had it all up there and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the clock to start. Now it does!

Ashmanix

Nice and Simple Plugin, but I discovered a simple bug (?): If you set it to time mode and set the target to a time already in the past, it won't start the timer at all. Wouldn't it be better to let the timer overflow and count down the set time next day (or give the option to do so)?
Example:
Current Time: 10:00:00
Set Time: 08:00:00
Timer: 22:00:00
Hi @ThrottleLP I did this to make my life easier as the timer isn't designed to handle counting down for more than a day so preventing it from setting if set before the current time was the quickest solution.

In the future I might implement days along with hours, minutes and seconds and then I'd look to implement this solution. Thanks for the feedback!

ThrottleLP

Hi @ThrottleLP I did this to make my life easier as the timer isn't designed to handle counting down for more than a day so preventing it from setting if set before the current time was the quickest solution.

In the future I might implement days along with hours, minutes and seconds and then I'd look to implement this solution. Thanks for the feedback!
Thank you for reading and replying to feedback!

greatcalzones

Hi there - Great plugin, just a quick suggestion on the install process.

Your only option for windows is a ZIP of the EXE, which seems to contain files for MACOS. The EXE itself installs directly to C:\obs-studio with no prompt to choose the install location. Not everyone uses that path, and unless you're familiar with where these files are normally located, less technical users will have trouble finding these files.

Also, you don't give the user a prompt to not create a start menu entry. Some people don't care about clogging that up, but some do, and you this should be opt-in and not force the user to manually delete that entry if they don't want it.

Second, you should offer a ZIP that allows users that only contains the data/obs-studio folders to directly unzip to wherever your OBS folder is. Not every user installs OBS and rather uses the portable version. Their OBS folder can be in a different location than the default one, on a different drive, etc.

TLDR: Please follow the standards that you see on 95% of plugins. Otherwise, love the plugin!

Ashmanix

Hi there - Great plugin, just a quick suggestion on the install process.

Your only option for windows is a ZIP of the EXE, which seems to contain files for MACOS. The EXE itself installs directly to C:\obs-studio with no prompt to choose the install location. Not everyone uses that path, and unless you're familiar with where these files are normally located, less technical users will have trouble finding these files.

Also, you don't give the user a prompt to not create a start menu entry. Some people don't care about clogging that up, but some do, and you this should be opt-in and not force the user to manually delete that entry if they don't want it.

Second, you should offer a ZIP that allows users that only contains the data/obs-studio folders to directly unzip to wherever your OBS folder is. Not every user installs OBS and rather uses the portable version. Their OBS folder can be in a different location than the default one, on a different drive, etc.

TLDR: Please follow the standards that you see on 95% of plugins. Otherwise, love the plugin!
Hi @greatcalzones thanks for the feedback!
I'm using the code taken from the plugin template taken from OBS which produces the installation files and installer wizards. There is a zip file of the files themselves but I haven't included them in the download folder on this forum post as there is a limit of up to 5 files you can include for a plugin. The zip of the file of the plugin itself is available under 'releases' on the GitHub page here: https://github.com/ashmanix/obs-plugin-countdown/releases (under assets) if anyone prefers the plugin files themselves over using the installer.

Ashmanix

I'll try to have a look at the installer for Windows to see what's happening when it's run as there shouldn't be any MacOS specific files in there.

Ashmanix

Ashmanix updated Ashmanix Countdown Timer with a new update entry:

v1.2.0 Update - Bug Fixes

This update includes the following changes:
- Added an en-US ini files (used for translations) which duplicates the GB translations
- Added a pt-BR Portuguese translation - contributed by @eribertomota
- Fixed a bug where the configuration of the plugin wasn't saving if an existing save directory didn't already exist. Configurations should now save when closing and opening OBS.
- Removed some code causing error logs when running on Linux

Note: I have included the zip file for the Windows...

Read the rest of this update entry...

ZeddGaming

Hello, the latest update is flagged as a Virus (Trojan Horse) by both Google Chrome and Windows Defender.
Any reason why that would be ?

Ashmanix

I'm not sure why. One of the main changes is that it will create a config folder to save the configuration if you don't already have a folder. I did get a warning when I tried the installer on my windows PC but then it was scanned and I got the OK.

What OS are you installing the plugin on and what method did you use to try and install it (installer or ZIP file)? I'll have a look to see if I get the same issue.

Mr.Roboto

Hi,

Great plugin.
i found a little problem, when i use the time function and it is beyond 12:00 or 00:00 that stops the timer function.

Example:
cam only starts once a day at 06:30:00 for 3 hours then the countdown timer starts again from 00:00:01

Regards ,
Ron

Timboxyz

This sounds like just what I need. However, I am wondering where the plugin stores the plain text file. Don't really want to be constantly writing to the same file on my SSD at the rate of once per second.