Alphalfa

I know this question has been asked 100 different ways on 50 different websites, and there are all kinds of detailed answers. I haven't been able to find where someone has actually answered the question. They answer SIMILAR questions, but never the simple question asked.

How do I take 2 audio sources and output them to 1 virtual camera?

------------------

This DOES NOT mean any of the following:

How do I use 2 audio sources or microphones in OBS studio?
How do I use 2 audio sources to 2 separate audio outputs?
I want to use OBS with Discord, YouTube, or anything else.
97 other incorrect answers littered all over the web.

-----------------

What this DOES mean is:

I want to play a game and capture the audio and video from the game. I want to use a bluetooth microphone to capture audio. I want the video and both audio sources to go to the virtual camera. I will then use the virtual camera to stream to any app I choose.

-----------------

The OBS developers have really dropped the ball on this one. It should be a very simple process. People have been asking about this feature for years. You should probably start listening. Simple "Audio in -> Audio Out" drop down boxes would be a miracle. (On the left, you would have a series of Audio In #X Sources, on the right, you would have corresponding Audio Out #X Outputs) Simple. Basic. Not confusing. PLEASE?

AaronD

For "how the audio should work," that has indeed been nagging for years, but there hasn't been a clear consensus yet on what the replacement should be. In the meantime, it's a pile of band-aids on an originally much-more-limited idea.

The devs definitely don't want to make OBS into a DAW, since there are plenty of DAW's already and they're surprisingly complex to maintain. If you really need a DAW's functionality, just use a real one. Do all of your audio work in there, not OBS, and OBS only sees the bare minimum that it absolutely has to. In your case, that might actually be, "no audio at all in OBS," since the DAW can take your mic and game audio directly and feed your other app directly.

If you really need to control the mix from OBS - maybe you have a scene with just your camera and not the game, and so you want the game sound to go away - then you can look at what control signals the DAW wants to receive. I use Ardour on Linux, which can use almost anything there is, which is a surprisingly long list! One of them is Open Sound Control (OSC), and OSC can be sent from the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin:
1695857629825.png

Read the documentation for your DAW of choice to see what it actually wants, but the idea here is to set the fader of Ardour's channel strip #1 to -200dB, which Ardour interprets as -oodB or completely off.

If you want a fade, then you can add a 20kHz sinewave generator to the DAW, and control the send level of that instead, which goes to the side-chain of a gate plugin. Then the timing controls of that gate, create the fade.

Last edited: