Question / Help x264 for some reason is worse than New Nvenc for me

FearDEZ

for some reason my x264 at 720p, 6000 bit-rate, fast, 60fps (ryzen 5 2nd gen) looks worse than my NEW NVENC at 720p, 6000 bit-rate, max quality 60fps (gt 730) like isn't that supposed to be the other way around, pls help. I've tried everything including (flashing the bios, driver updates, uninstalling and trying different res nothing works) and it looks so bad it looks like 720 on 3k bit rate and on ultra fast settings when like its not even remotely close to that (down below there is the two logs i did with x264 and nvenc *fyi I've seen streamers than stream at 1080p 60fps on very fast preset and it looks like night and day and there bit rate is only 2k higher and ive tried doing 8k and still looks bad*

Attachments

• nvenc pic.png
    nvenc pic.png
    24 KB · Views: 84
  • x264 pic.png
    x264 pic.png
    25 KB · Views: 112
  • Nvenc.txt
    52.5 KB · Views: 26
  • x264.txt
    107.4 KB · Views: 29
  • nvenc small.png
    nvenc small.png
    959.3 KB · Views: 122
  • x264 small.png
    x264 small.png
    944.5 KB · Views: 118

SHaDoXzz

For Recording you want at least 40-50K bitrate. go watch a youtube video on proper settings how to record high quality

carlmmii

Based on the screencaps, to me it looks exactly like what I'd expect if you're trying to record a high-motion scene. With only having the still screen to compare, it's not really possible to give an accurate assessment.

That said, the x264 screencap has far less macroblocking than the nvenc screencap, which is to be expected based on personal experience. The nvenc encoder is most likely going to have a better time with sharp edges and fine details, but overall it's going to look a lot more like it has the compressed jpeg effect, especially with the style that you're trying to record.