Question / Help Windows gaming PC won't connect to Linux streaming PC with NGINX

Elocutioner

-Stream pc is connected to internet only through lan connection to gaming pc. I tested that and the internet works
-Stream pc has nginx server up and running (the welcome to nginx page can be reached from either pc)
-Both computers have obs installed
Stream PC is running Ubuntu 16.04
Gaming PC is running Windows 10 latest update as of the post date

Problem:
When i try to connect to the rtmp server through obs using the formula rtmp://<ip address>/live it fails to connect or it will time out and fail to connect

-I'm pretty sure it isn't antivirus or firewall as i get the same problem even with the firewalls completely disabled and a antivirus exception for obs
^^This is why i made a new thread, it seems this was everyone elses problem^^

-If this needs further elaboration, or if the log file from obs would help, then i can post that

Thank you!

vapeahoy

can u post the nginx error logfile? its important u run same set of settings on the nics at either side. very little info to work with here. have u got it to work before or is this a 1st attempt and you're already failing?

Elocutioner

This is a first ever attempt, it has never worked. I will post nginx error log, as well as obs error log and a picture of the error window I get.

I am attempting to connect to URL rtmp://192.168.137.9/live from gaming and I am certain that this is the ipv4 address of the stream pc.

I heard that it doesn't matter what I input for stream key, so I haven't worried about that.

BTW what are these "settings on the nics" that I should be matching?

popUpError.PNG

Attachments

• nginxErrorLog.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 38
  • obsErrorLog.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Elocutioner

Stream PC has OBS and Nginx installed, and I haven't touched OBS on that computer.
Gaming PC has OBS but doesn't have Nginx

Here is my Nginx Config file, I have't tried to do anything except the bare minimum for an rtmp server:

Attachments

• nginxConfiguration.txt
    771 bytes · Views: 55

Elocutioner

UPDATE:
My gaming PC sees the stream pc as 192.168.137.1 instead of 192.168.137.9. When I use the URL rtmp://192.168.137.1/live I get a different error window as shown below:

newPopUp.PNG

Is this a step in the right direction?

EDIT: here is the error log for this one particular action:
12:30:43.019: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmp://192.168.137.1/live...
12:30:43.019: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Interface: ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter (ethernet, 100 mbps)
12:30:44.023: 192.168.137.1/live is offline. Try a different server (ECONNREFUSED).
12:30:44.023: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connection to rtmp://192.168.137.1/live failed: -2
12:30:44.023: ==== Streaming Stop ================================================

vapeahoy

err it reads 2016 in your error log. are you a time traveller? possibly check your clock there.
I think first things first. What nginx distribution are you using and what version?
you're getting 2 distinct config errors but the rtmp_stat all is indeed a working command. i have mine set to simply just "location /" without the extra stat dir. (i never use it). I also use port 80 instead of 88 there.
U can just try and uncomment stuff for now with an # or even just remove, and add back in as u get things working. Also make sure u open port 1935 there. OBS u need to run as admin. Or set windows to perma admin mode.
edit: ip addresses should be set static. disable stuff u dont need such as ipv6 and other protocols etc.
for network card, u should basically set same settings as much as possible. the exception is that u dont need high receive buffer on the gaming/send from pc. F.ex i use jumbo packets on both sides, and u kinda need it set at both sides then, or it wont have any effect.

Elocutioner

Nginx is 1.10.3 and both PCs shown time and date settings correctly
OBS is 21.1.2
I don't know why Nginx is showing incorrect year...

Also:
192.168.137.9 typed in the browser shows the nginx welcome page, does that mean that is the url i should use in OBS?

Last edited:

vapeahoy

that would be where nginx is installed then. nginx 1.10.3 is ancient, latest version is 1.15.1, u should do an update before anything.

vapeahoy

start menu/windows system/command prompt from there type ping ipadressofnginxserver. from linux u open the terminal and same thing there. ip commands vary a bit from platform to platform. what u want to figure out is if its being blocked access even from there. from both sides u need to allow access between computers. I have opened every port between the 2 pc's that i need in their respective firewall. all of this stuff should be very googleable

Elocutioner

Gaming PC:
-Pinging Nginx server ip yields this result with no loss
C:\Users\malea>ping 192.168.137.9

Pinging 192.168.137.9 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.137.9: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.137.9:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

-Pinging the other pc at 192.168.137.9 also has NO PACKET LOSS

Stream PC:
-Pinging Nginx server has 0% packet loss

BUT,
-Pinging the Gaming PC from Stream PC results in 100% packet loss

vapeahoy

Yeah so u dont have incoming allowed from that pc. So u need to allow it access. For the specific nic/ip of the game pc.