Bug Report **Windows 10 Creator Update PSA**

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkobra21

Yesssss, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I factory reset my pc because of this situation and the same thing still happens when I open up obs studio. My frames drop tremendously and it stutters. Games like CSGO, Rainbow six seige, GTA V and BF1 I've had problems with but never had these problems before the update. The only thing that worked for seige and BF1 was enabling V sync in game settings but you can feel a slight delay with the mouse when swiping to the left or right. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I honestly thought I did something to my GPU.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I'm here because my OBS is only showing a static game screen regardless the game. I've been using the old OBS and installed OBS Studio to see if that would resolve the issue but the results were the same. I can see the mouse moving and I can see my text header scrolling but the game screen is just static. I have upgraded to the latest drivers for my NVIDIA GEForce GTX 660. I have attached my log file and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I just learned Heroes of the Storm captures just fine. World of Warcraft and Elite Dangerous suffer from the symptoms listed above.

This is not related to the Win10 CU issue. You are trying to use window capture instead of game capture. Please create a new thread with these details for further assistance.

mrgusse

To fix the issue with 32bit directx 9 games, unzip the contents of the attached zip-file to:
<OBS Studio installation folder>\data\obs-plugins\win-capture

This contains the fix by bFox earlier in the thread.

Don't install this if you are not on the creator's update!!! And don't run the exe, it's automatically started by OBS itself.

Quick question, does this only wotk for the 32-bit version of OBS Studio or both?

Hey Fenrir,

I did the fix for the gamecapture (win-capture download given earlier in thread) but I still found myself getting much lower FPS in CS:GO.

Log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ca226924ecfdf6dd283ba63f6eec07e3

I'm also using the AMF from Xaymar. And I get a quick error pop up when I close OBS but it just closes before I can see it.

EDIT: Wait..I'm looking now..am I not even on the new version? Windows version 1511 / OS Build 10586.873

So why did my stuff start gettin' wonky at the same time..new AMF maybe?

Last edited:

tristanwc

To fix the issue with 32bit directx 9 games, unzip the contents of the attached zip-file to:

Don't install this if you are not on the creator's update!!! And don't run the exe, it's automatically started by OBS itself.

Fix worked for me! Thanks for uploading!

GamingTaylor

I just wanted to say even after the patch recording certain games with "display" capture causes some heavy lag spikes / frame drops in games.

Obviously game capture is preferred, but some games you can't record with game capture. (Like the new game Scanner Sombre)

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I just wanted to say even after the patch recording certain games with "display" capture causes some heavy lag spikes / frame drops in games.

Obviously game capture is preferred, but some games you can't record with game capture. (Like the new game Scanner Sombre)

With the fix, you should go back to game capture again, that's what it fixes.

xRecord2k

I install this, from 60fps i got 80fps why dont 200-300fps?

Something I noticed on my second motior is the fact that OBS get prformance loss only when a game that consume a lot of resources is focused. When you lose focus of a game, the OBS performance get back to normal until you get back to the game.

Here is a video that demonstrate what I've discovered (the small screen is the game capture and the full screen is the display capture)

This were observed on Grand Theft Auto V

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Something I noticed on my second motior is the fact that OBS get prformance loss only when a game that consume a lot of resources is focused. When you lose focus of a game, the OBS performance get back to normal until you get back to the game.

Here is a video that demonstrate what I've discovered (the small screen is the game capture and the full screen is the display capture)

This were observed on Grand Theft Auto V

This is consistent with the fullscreen optimization feature they added, which should be disabled to avoid issues.

EkkoOfficial

Ok I unzipped the workaround in the correct location and it fixed the fps problems ingame (csgo, back up to 250+ instead of 50), but when I looked at my stream it was still really choppy and stuttered a lot. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey Fenrir,

I did the fix for the gamecapture (win-capture download given earlier in thread) but I still found myself getting much lower FPS in CS:GO.

Log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ca226924ecfdf6dd283ba63f6eec07e3

I'm also using the AMF from Xaymar. And I get a quick error pop up when I close OBS but it just closes before I can see it.

EDIT: Wait..I'm looking now..am I not even on the new version? Windows version 1511 / OS Build 10586.873

So why did my stuff start gettin' wonky at the same time..new AMF maybe?

Below may be TLDR but might be some things to think about Heartbreaker. But it wasn't until I did all this typing below that I realized what I then posted right after which is here on this post:

@HeartBreaker_TV Check this out first:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/windows-10-creator-update-psa.66825/page-5#post-289740

Read that first, in particular because I saw you are using AMF 2.0.0.0 as well. Read the rest below just as maybe some fine tuning/cleanup, because I'm pretty sure that link describes why you are having the issues maybe.

Heya Heartbreaker_TV! Can you be specific about the loss of FPS in terms of: How many did you used to get (happy times) and how many you're getting now (sad times), thanks for including your Windows build that helps, I see that you are using the most current version of AMF which is 2.0.0.0, there are a a couple of settings that are kind of touchy for it that Xaymar is still working on, in particular especially on the streaming side you might want to avoid Asynchronus Queues, Recording it seems to perform OK, not sure what is "As Expected" which is what I was going to say, but it's too early on and Xaymar is still working on it. So let me ask you the juicy questions:

1. Are you using OBS 32-bit for a reason that is specific? Like most I'd probably recommend using the 64-bit binary as opposed to 32-bit if anything just for the memory addressability. I'm not sure what the pros/cons of 32/64 OBS are in particular so maybe some can elude to those for us. I have always used 64-bit because I have a lot of extra RAM and I'd prefer it get used, my OS is 64-bit, many of my games are 64-bit, most the interacting hardware has it's 64-bit drivers, a lot of the API's are 64-bit...you get my point, so purely for the sake of keeping it consistent is why I made that choice, of course I could be totally wrong and maybe 32Bit OBS is a gem in some way lol, so hopefully someone may have more info on that point. I do recall reading a few posts some time ago about 64-bit being worked on more aggressively project wise and that was another reason why they switched the shortcut icon generated at install to lead to the 64-bit binary. Ok enough on that...

2. Did you mean to setup this mediasouce like this? You should disable the advanced options as I don't think you're really using them anyway, and if you mean 1 second of buffer, you should input "30" for those values instead, as that field is measured in frames, and 30 will give you 1 second of buffer, you would use 60 to get that same 1 second if the source material you are playing plays-back at 60fps. However if you really aren't sure that you need the buffering or frame drops, simply uncheck the Advanced box on that source.:
20:58:18.361: [Media Source 'Media Source']: invalid audio_buffer_size 1
20:58:18.361: [Media Source 'Media Source']: invalid audio_buffer_size 1

20:58:18.361: [Media Source 'Media Source']: settings:
20:58:18.361: input: D:/Videos/WWGintro.mp4
20:58:18.361: input_format: (null)
20:58:18.361: is_looping: yes
20:58:18.361: is_forcing_scale: yes
20:58:18.361: is_hw_decoding: yes
20:58:18.361: is_clear_on_media_end: yes
20:58:18.361: restart_on_activate: yes
20:58:18.361: [Media Source 'Media Source']: advanced settings:
20:58:18.361: audio_buffer_size: 1
20:58:18.361: video_buffer_size: 1

20:58:18.361: frame_drop: AVDISCARD_DEFAULT

3. As I mentioned previously I'm also on AMF 2.0.0.0 by way of Xaymar, Everything has been pretty golden lately except for the known bugs that are being worked on that don't really pertain here. I haven't seen any error throw out from AMF so I'd be interested in what that error dialog said for sure as it doesn't seem to notate that in the log... addendum: yes things are golden, after I rebuilt my settings because the performance was WONKIER THAN WONKY until I did, sorry I didn't mention that first, well I did just now through this edit though lol, link to explain is at the top of the article!

Last edited:
NEW thought! for HeartBreaker_TV

I forgot to mention, if you recently pushed up to Xaymar's AMF 2.0.0.0 and just started having the issue, that makes sense, because the new AMF release will BREAK all your current configuration settings! I simply reset all to default and rebuilt from scratch and I was up and running right after. Here is the warning that Xaymar issued with the release:
From Xaymar's Git on AMF-Enc, in regards to latest 2.0.0.0 Release:
Attention
This project follows the Sematic Versioning schema, so this update will break all of your configurations! If you suddenly experience issues, you are likely experiencing the effects of the configuration being different from before.

So, give it a shot, reset everything back to default for the AMF H264 Encoder, (Go to Outputs, Ensure you have H264/AVC Encoder (AMD Adv Media Framework) selected, then for the preset field, select the "Reset to Defaults" option. Once done, I would exit from OBS, wait a few moments, then fire it back up. Check to see that the settings look defaulted, and then reconfigure to your usual settings. Once set how you like it, Apply them, then exit once more, wait a few moments, and start up. I do this to ensure the AMF Encoder flushes and resets and loads properly with enough time, especially when troubleshooting, otherwise once its all set and running well, I make changes on the fly without problems.

Hopefully this is where your issue is, give it a shot and let us know! :)

Dunhill

PLS FIX OBS ... I want to stream csgo . I was trying to use x264 and nvenc also but nothing works... Settings:
x264(preset ultrafast ; profile high ; CBR ; 12k bitrate and the rest default) and nvenc (preset default ; profile main , bitrate 7k and the rest default) I have lag... fps drop from 350 to 160-200 and the game isn't smooth at all :(
The overall optimization of obs is not as great as i was thinking, becouse games performance drops even if I have obs open. for example GTA 5 , ETS2 , BF1.
I use the lastest windows 10 pro version ( creators shit ) all drivers up to date , clean install....
Even when I start OBS the game lose fps.. from 350 to 250... and when I start to stream ... even worst.
The recording is same .. not good . x264 settings and nvenc don't working . I don't have the best pc but i7 6700k is good enough for stram and recording , I am sure of that! :/
I was trying to use gamecapture and display capture but both works the same .. verry bad I mean.
OBS Studio optimization is verry bad . I changed 3 PC s until now and no one can handle recording and streaming on OBS :( wich is verry bad for obs expectations.
I hope u read all and understand that . And try to solve this . For example I can t stream anymore until obs is FINALLY FIXED. Have a good day.
LOG : https://gist.github.com/b2e1d9679146c0d0c5830d56e5ed8eeb

nicoPlaYs

PLS FIX OBS ... I want to stream csgo . I was trying to use x264 and nvenc also but nothing works... Settings:
x264(preset ultrafast ; profile high ; CBR ; 12k bitrate and the rest default) and nvenc (preset default ; profile main , bitrate 7k and the rest default) I have lag... fps drop from 350 to 160-200 and the game isn't smooth at all :(
The overall optimization of obs is not as great as i was thinking, becouse games performance drops even if I have obs open. for example GTA 5 , ETS2 , BF1.
I use the lastest windows 10 pro version ( creators shit ) all drivers up to date , clean install....
Even when I start OBS the game lose fps.. from 350 to 250... and when I start to stream ... even worst.
The recording is same .. not good . x264 settings and nvenc don't working . I don't have the best pc but i7 6700k is good enough for stram and recording , I am sure of that! :/
I was trying to use gamecapture and display capture but both works the same .. verry bad I mean.
OBS Studio optimization is verry bad . I changed 3 PC s until now and no one can handle recording and streaming on OBS :( wich is verry bad for obs expectations.
I hope u read all and understand that . And try to solve this . For example I can t stream anymore until obs is FINALLY FIXED. Have a good day.
LOG : https://gist.github.com/b2e1d9679146c0d0c5830d56e5ed8eeb

I know i will repeat myself from a previous post, but just to be sure : have you disabled the new "game mode" of Windows 10 ? Because you really need to disabled it in the Windows settings, as it completely restrain what OBS can use from the CPU/GPU and it affects a lot the FPS of the game too if OBS is being used.

As for now, i believe there is only two things to do to be able to use OBS with this new Windows update :
  1. Disable the "game mode" in the Windows settings
  2. Install the fix by bFox for the directx 9 games

hokero

I've try this fix, but nothing change in 32 and 64 bits version.

"Game mode" is disable.

did i need change some options in game capture properties ?

Status
Not open for further replies.