Bug Report **Windows 10 Creator Update PSA**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Updated first post, this has been further isolated to 32-bit DirectX 9 games. Thank you all for your reports, I'll leave the thread open for discussion but we should be good on reports now.

CreeCyan

Just to add another game here, Dirty Bomb has the same problem. And, lo and behold, it's 32-bit DirectX 9 :( Can't play it at all with OBS on, game stutters and it's impossible to aim.

Dellimint

I've been having in-game FPS drops on every game I've tried streaming, but the stream itself would appear to have no FPS drops at all. Here's a log from today in Borderlands 2: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9dda84436bff4e4f66a0ae46fae9ef05

This is odd because it hasn't always been an issue, so I'm assuming it might have to do with a recent Windows 10 update. It's also odd because normally the issue has to do with stream FPS drops while in-game frame rate would be fine.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I made a list of known DX9 games on the Google Docs. If anyone else knows other games that run in DX9 mode please let us know. I haven't tested in Dota 2 since that is a 64 bit program as well as Planetside 2 being 64 bit and DX9.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-UOI8vc-PQ5c2i6AoKug2YT0ZlC7rBThRbiJmkonHPE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the effort here. We've confirmed it's all 32-bit DX9 games, and we have OBS Wizard @R1CH looking in to the issue. Should hopefully have something soon, but no concrete ETA.

GamingTaylor

For what it's worth.

I was planning to record CS:GO today. If you are having problems with OBS which causes your fps to drop below 60, you should close the game. Switch the capture to "display capture" instead of game capture, and then restart the game. The game will play fine.

However, if you decide to turn on game capture at any moment while CS:Go is open, your frame rate will drop back down to sub 60, and even if you switch back to display capture it won't fix the problem until you restart the game.

(This "may" work with all games, just make sure you relaunch the game after choosing display capture)

Last edited:

TheRustyTigger

I've only done some elgato capture and Player unknowns battleground capture and that all went okay capture wise, however 64bit OBS is no longer starting up after the creator update. 32 works no problem, however I did have an issue where it crashed (obs reached threshold error) but I could not close the process in task manager as it said permission was denied so I had to reboot the pc to get my cam back in obs32.

As for the 64bit won't startup crash here's the log for that. https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5295586a92d672b6033492b180d3ea16

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I've only done some elgato capture and Player unknowns battleground capture and that all went okay capture wise, however 64bit OBS is no longer starting up after the creator update. 32 works no problem, however I did have an issue where it crashed (obs reached threshold error) but I could not close the process in task manager as it said permission was denied so I had to reboot the pc to get my cam back in obs32.

As for the 64bit won't startup crash here's the log for that. https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5295586a92d672b6033492b180d3ea16

That crash is coming from the AMD AMF encoder, and is likely very related to the Creator update issues we're seeing with Game Capture. Make sure your AMD drivers are fully up to date.

Benman2785

@xRecord2k
TL;DR - Please use Window or Display capture for 32-bit DirectX 9 games until a fix can be found. This is not caused by OBS, but by Microsoft's updates so it may take a bit.

What we know:
The Creator update for Windows 10 has been confirmed to cause an issues with the methods OBS uses to capture specific games (not all) with the Game Capture source. This is manifest by forcing the Game Capture source to fall back on memory capture, instead of shared texture capture. This is FAR less efficient, and can cause a significant performance loss in both OBS and your games.

The issue is being actively looked in to, and data is being collected. It appears that 32-bit DirectX 9 games are affected, including but not limited to:
  • Counter-strike: Global Offensive
  • League of Legends
  • Rocket League
  • The Witcher
  • Bioshock 1 and 2
If you are having general performance issues on the Creator update, but are NOT using Game Capture, make sure to be detailed on what issues you are having and see the below section on how to help.

What we do not know:
We do not currently have the full details on what causes this to happen. If you are experiencing this issue, and wish to help, see the below section and provide a log for us.

How can I fix it?
At this time there is not enough data to determine the cause, so there is no actual fix. However, there are a few things you can do to work around the issue.

If you play your game fullscreen, you can use Display Capture to capture your game instead. You can also play your game windowed or borderless windowed and use Window Capture.

We know this is not ideal, and will update this post as soon as a fix is made available.

What can I do to help?
Sit tight! We have all the logs and information we need at this point, but feel free to report any additional issues you may encounter.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated with any additional information or workarounds we are able to find. Please try to keep this thread on topic. I will be monitoring this thread and actively removing off-topic posts.

i cant do that much on your problem - we have to wait for the Devs to do some magic in your case ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.