Question / Help What are the best settings for recording Roblox with OBS on Low End PC?

Theagames10

I have been wanting to record gameplay for YT and I tried to record Roblox and MC for a couple of seconds. (I did fix the black bar at the bottom of recording, which is good)
Minecraft was pretty good, but Roblox was very laggy and slow when watching the recording.

What are the best settings to record Roblox on a PC like mine?
Windows 10 Specs:
window specs.PNG

SpectreKid

I have been wanting to record gameplay for YT and I tried to record Roblox and MC for a couple of seconds. (I did fix the black bar at the bottom of recording, which is good)
Minecraft was pretty good, but Roblox was very laggy and slow when watching the recording.

What are the best settings to record Roblox on a PC like mine?
Windows 10 Specs:
View attachment 49804
Your computer is, no offensive, extremely weak and therefore not recommended for recording or streaming. I would personally recommend the Quicksync encoder if you have that on a Pentium chip, but if not, x264 will be your only choice.

Make sure you are on Advanced settings for Output.

Quicksync:
For Quicksync, use balanced and high. Keyframe interval either 1 or 2, but 1 gives more quality with 2 being more compatible.

For Roblox or Minecraft, a bitrate that is too high wouldn't be necessary. Since your specs are not as well, I recommend to record at a 4500 bitrate, and I'll touch on Resolution and Bitrate later.

Rate control VBR, as this will make your video more efficient, and not make humongous file sizes. Basically what VBR does is it makes the bitrate vary depending on the scene. If there is a lot of motion, then you will use the maximum of 4500 bitrate or the bitrate you set, and if there is low to no motion, it will bring the bitrate down. Hopefully, I explained this well.

If you don't want to use VBR, you can try CQP, but this creates massive files. Some people recommend this, but I personally just stick with VBR, as it can be controlled better than CQP.

B frames set to 2, and nothing else should be changed.

x264:
If using x264, use the same VBR and 4500 bitrate I talked about earlier, but this time, change keyframe interval to 1 or 2, and CPU Usage Preset to ultrafast, as this might be the only preset your CPU can handle. Profile is high, don't touch anything else.

Video Settings:
Make sure the Base resolution is at it's highest, which for you, hopefully, is 1080p. Set the Output resolution to 1080p, and set Downscale Filter to Lanczos. Set your fps to 29.97 or 30, but I use 29.97 because it is the NTSC standard. You can try 30, and there really would be no difference.

Last thing is to change the Process Priority to High, the Color Space to 709, and click Apply and OK in the Advanced settings. Good! You should be all set!

Remember to run as administrator for OBS, as it will make the program lag less with a recent implementation for OBS Studio 24.0.3, so update!

Hope this guide helped, this took a long time to write, so have a good recording, and good luck!

TL;DR: Set it to Quicksync, use 4500 bitrate, balanced, high, and VBR. Set video to 1080p for both, Lanczos, and 29.97 or 30. And then in Advanced, set High, 709, and apply.

Theagames10

Your computer is, no offensive, extremely weak and therefore not recommended for recording or streaming. I would personally recommend the Quicksync encoder if you have that on a Pentium chip, but if not, x264 will be your only choice.

Quicksync:
For Quicksync, use balanced and high. Keyframe interval either 1 or 2, but 1 gives more quality with 2 being more compatible.

For Roblox or Minecraft, a bitrate that is too high wouldn't be necessary. Since your specs are not as well, I recommend to record at a 4500 bitrate, and I'll touch on Resolution and Bitrate later.

Rate control VBR, as this will make your video more efficient, and not make humongous file sizes. Basically what VBR does is it makes the bitrate vary depending on the scene. If there is a lot of motion, then you will use the maximum of 4500 bitrate or the bitrate you set, and if there is low to no motion, it will bring the bitrate down. Hopefully, I explained this well.

If you don't want to use VBR, you can try CQP, but this creates massive files. Some people recommend this, but I personally just stick with VBR, as it can be controlled better than CQP.

x264:
If using x264, use the same VBR and 4500 bitrate I talked about earlier, but this time, change keyframe interval to 1 or 2, and CPU Usage Preset to ultrafast, as this might be the only preset your CPU can handle. Profile is high, don't touch anything else.

Video Settings:
Make sure the Base resolution is at it's highest, which for you, hopefully, is 1080p. Set the Output resolution to 1080p, and set Downscale Filter to Lanczos. Set your fps to 29.97 or 30, but I use 29.97 because it is the NTSC standard. You can try 30, and there really would be no difference.

Last thing is to change the Process Priority to High, the Color Space to 709, and click Apply and OK in the Advanced settings. Good! You should be all set!

Remember to run as administrator for OBS, as it will make the program lag less with a recent implementation for OBS Studio 24.0.3, so update!

Hope this guide helped, this took a long time to write, so have a good recording, and good luck!

TL;DR: Set it to Quicksync, use 4500 bitrate, balanced, high, and VBR. Set video to 1080p for both, Lanczos, and 29.97 or 30. And then in Advanced, set High, 709, and apply.

About the base resolution, I am having a bit of a problem with that.
Look at this thread I made about the problem and why I cant put the base resolution to 1080p:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/black-bar-at-bottom-of-screen-capture.112536/

SpectreKid

Set it to the highest it can go. For you it might not be 1080p, because you might not have a 1080p monitor, or even a 16:9 monitor at all.

welkin

I got the following specs with dedicated nvidia mx130 GPU with 2GB VRAM. Should I use the same settings?

Attachments

• specs.JPG
    specs.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 116

Theagames10

Quicksync:

x264:

Video Settings:

So sorry for bothering you again, I know this reply from you is 8 months old, but I wanted to try recording again, but these settings make Roblox lag when I start recording, any suggestions?
I have the same computer as before but this time I cleaned out my main hard drive to make space for recordings.