DaniSVG

Hey! I have some troubles with my webcam, so I'm gonna try and explain it as good as I can. :)

Okay so I'm using a Logitech StreamCam as webcam for my streams. Whenever I play heavier/bigger games the webcam starts getting delayed inside OBS. Sometimes it even starts disconnecting, like, you see the disconnection logo of the webcam for a couple of seconds and then it's gone again.

Here are some of my specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 16GB
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C
2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A

The webcam is plugged into the USB-C port of my computer.

I'm using the software "Logi Capture" for managing my StreamCam settings. It's the program from Logitech itself, and without it the webcam does work, but you can't use a lot of the features, which is a big part that makes the webcam so good. So whenever I click on "Add Video Capture Device" I get the "Logitech StreamCam" and the "Logi Capture" option. Like I said, I'd like to use Logi Capture because it just has a lot of nice features.

Whenever my stream (or test recordings) get delayed, it's only in OBS itself. In Logi Capture you can see yourself in the menu to mange multiple setting and see how it looks. It isn't delayed there, just OBS. I've tried turning off "Buffering", which didn't really help. I looked at the recommended specs for the StreamCam, which are:

To get Full HD at 60 FPS we recommend the following computer specifications:
  • USB-C 3.1 port
  • 2017 or later
  • 7th gen Intel i5 or better
  • Dedicated graphics card
  • 8GB RAM
It also specified "USB 3.1 Gen 1", incase that's necessary or helpful information.

Mind you I'm trying to use the webcam at 720p - 60 FPS, those ^ are the specs for 1080p - 60 FPS.

I've tried running both programs as admin, running both of them normally, reinstalling OBS and the Logi Capture software, downgrading to an older version, connecting my PC to another outlet (incase it was my outlet?), changing the "Resolution/FPS type" to "Custom" instead of "Device Default", but nothing seems to fix it. I've also tried closing Logi Capture and switching my Video Capture Device to "Logitech StreamCam", to see whether my computer would be able to handle it, or if it has something to do with the webcam itself, etc. When using the webcam without Logi Capture it's perfectly fine, even at 1080p - 60 FPS.

Another thing I've tried is using an adapter, because it might be my USB-C port. So I ordered a USB adapter from C to A (Gen 1), but that unfortunately didn't solve anything either.

Because the delay was only visible in OBS, and not Logi Capture itself, I tried using Window/Game capture to capture the "Logi Capture" menu, and then cropping the menu out, which actually surprisingly worked. Except whenever I play bigger games it freezes. I assume that's because Window/Game capture aren't for webcams. :) I think it has something to do with optimizing?

I've added logs when making a test recording, using the "Video Capture Device" option with "Logi Capture" (which is how it's normally supposed to work). I didn't ran into the disconnecting error, but already relatively early on it started getting a bit delayed. As you probably can see, I changed some settings in the "Video Capture Device" properties, which didn't help. If there are any more logs necessary, just let me know!

My apologies for the long post! I hope someone can help me :)

Edit: I've also tried contacting Logitech Support, but they kept sending me automated messages with "restart your pc" and "reinstall Logi Capture".

Attachments

• 2020-12-22 01-36-18.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

DaniSVG

Oh, one last thing :P. I've also tried changing the encoder I use from NVENC to x264 (not exactly sure what it's called, I mean my cpu), which also didn't seem to fix the delay or the disconnecting.

summarity

I want to second this, it seems like a bug in OBS. I'm using a Logitech Brio 4k and when capturing in 4k in OBS, no matter if it's just displaying, streaming, or recording, there's a good chance OBS will start to massively delay the video signal after a short time. It will go from instant to the video feed being delayed by up to 4 seconds. Restarting OBS fixes this. This doesn't happen with any other software (including QuickTime, Ecamm Live, and video conferencing). No setting in OBS' video capture device source seems to affect this in any way.

I'm using macOS Big Sur.

ExcelWithChris

I want to second this, it seems like a bug in OBS. I'm using a Logitech Brio 4k and when capturing in 4k in OBS, no matter if it's just displaying, streaming, or recording, there's a good chance OBS will start to massively delay the video signal after a short time. It will go from instant to the video feed being delayed by up to 4 seconds. Restarting OBS fixes this. This doesn't happen with any other software (including QuickTime, Ecamm Live, and video conferencing). No setting in OBS' video capture device source seems to affect this in any way.

I'm using macOS Big Sur.
Solved it!!! Watch this video. Its a audio setting in OBS. Watch especially last section. I changed mine to 250 and perfect sync now. https://youtu.be/DZnkyq4kqkE

Lawrence_SoCal

A consistent latency difference between audio and video is expected and normal. Sometimes, the difference is small enough, and most users don't do detailed measurements, that folks don't notice. If the difference is noticeable, the norm is for audio to process faster, hence the delay option on audio in OBS

But an overloaded computer, or bad drivers (and related s/w, as Logitech is well known for) can cause inconsistent lag. OBS can't fix that itself. Either your Operating System isn't optimized for the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding. Or your OBS settings are asking more of your computer than it is capable of consistently delivering, or a plug-in in consuming resources you aren't expecting (like nVidia RTXnoise reducer known for consuming huge amounts of CPU recently), etc
I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. on Windows OS using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. If yes, you, the computer operator has to make adjustments. Where to adjust? depends on priorities and goals. or get a more powerful computer

But back to Logitech... if you go over these forums over time, you'll find LOTS of problems with Logitech s/w. We can all hope that some day Logitech gets their act together. If it works for you now, great.. be grateful. If you hare having trouble, try removing/disabling as much 'extra' Logitech s/w as you can and test again. I don't have a new 4K webcam, but with older C920 using only OS provided (via Logitech) driver, I didn't have an issue. But when I tried to use any Logitech control s/w, I did have issues. So uninstalled the Logitech control s/w and never looked back