Question / Help Washed out colors in video?

JawshNickerson

Recently downloaded OBS Studio and I've adjusted my settings accordingly. Recording is smooth, gameplay is smooth, CPU is fine and data usage on recorded footage is superb. Biggest issue I'm facing, however, is that that colors in recorded footage appear washed out and I don't know what to do in order to get it properly fixed.

My Computer Specs:

Acer Aspire E15 (Model E5-575G-57D4)
CPU: Intel Core i5 7200U @2.50 ghz (hyperthreading)
8 Gigs DDR4 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2gb Dedicated VRAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

The preview shows the in-game screen just fine, and colors appear just fine as they are in game. It's when I stop recording and look at my footage is where the problem arises. I've tried using a color correction filter, adjusting the gamma, saturation, hue and contrast but I can't get it right no matter what.

Color Format is NV12, YUV Color Space is 601 and I'm using a FULL YUV Color Range. I have some picture below the show a screencapped in-game color (as it should look) and one from a recording.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 655
  • unknown (1).png
    unknown (1).png
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 655

JawshNickerson

Actually, I think it might be an issue with Windows Media Player, running it through the default movie player on Windows 10 displays the colors accurately hmmm -- I did try the suggestion however, I didn't seem to notice a difference between the two. I'll have to experiment with a video editing program, opening the content up in one of them and see how it looks in comparison.

Harold

A lot of players are expecting partial range, including some browsers, and that causes them to wash out colors when feeding them full range videos.

JawshNickerson

Ah that explains it -- I've ran the test footage (saved in .mov) through Vegas Pro 15, it appeared to look fine and followed that up with it a test upload and the footage looked fine on Opera. I'm not entirely certain if that would mean that it wouldn't look as good on other browsers? But the test footage when rendered in to Mp4 and uploaded on to YouTube appeared to have the correct colors I was looking for.

Harold

Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable. If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window.