VR Streaming/Recording issue

FR-The_S

Hello everyone,

I'm having some issue to stream/record VR games specially MFS2020.
While my OBS is not running, the game is fluid in VR but when I'm just starting OBS, my games begin to have some less performances and when I'm trying to record/stream the game, it's not possible it's like 10fps for the render while in my vr is "fluid".
Check out the video test : https://youtu.be/kUinMpB9VNw

My specs can definitively handle this ...
CPU : I9-10900K
GPU : RTX3090
MEM : 32Gb RAM.
Plugin : OBS_OpenVR_InputPlugin 1.5
VR Headset : Oculus Quest 2 with Oculus Link

Any idea?

I'm positing on mfs reddit too if someone have the same issue.

Last edited:

FerretBomb

Post a logfile from a streaming or recording session where the issue occurred, and we can take a look. A video clip of it happening does not help in this case, we NEED the logfile.

FR-The_S

Post a logfile from a streaming or recording session where the issue occurred, and we can take a look. A video clip of it happening does not help in this case, we NEED the logfile.
Sure sorry, I forgot, will attach it at the end of the afternoon :)

FR-The_S

Here a log when testing in attachement.
Plus a video side by side (one take with my phone and one by obs to see the difference between what I've seen and what has been captured)

Attachments

• 2021-04-13 15-43-03.txt
    40.8 KB · Views: 72

FerretBomb

I assume the logfile is from that video recording session?

Quite a few problematic bits in that log.
First:
15:43:05.468: - scene 'VR':
15:43:05.468: - source: 'Capture d'écran' (monitor_capture)
15:43:05.468: - source: 'Xplane' (game_capture)
NEVER have a Monitor/Display Capture in the same scene as any Game or Window Captures. Display capture is the WORST performing capture method, and can actively interfere with GC/WC and cause performance issues in OBS. It should be avoided at all costs.
If you do NEED a Display Capture, it should be in its own scene with no other captures.

Second, you have Psychovisual Tuning enabled. This is well-known to cause encoding overload situations, even on systems that should otherwise not cause a problem.
Third, you are not running OBS as Administrator. This isn't a requirement, but can help in very GPU-heavy games (like MSFS and any VR application) to make sure OBS gets priority to handle its housekeeping tasks before the game eats the rest.

Fourth (and most likely, from the video and lack of frameskip in the log), you are running multiple monitors at different refresh rates. This is a long-standing bug that was SUPPOSED to have been fixed in Win10 2004, but still presents on some systems even on Win10 2009 (as you are on).
To test for this, right-click the OBS Preview window, and 'disable preview'. If the recorded video output is improved, you are still affected. The only fix is to either leave the OBS preview disabled, or run ALL of your monitors at the same framerate (HMD not included).

FR-The_S

I assume the logfile is from that video recording session?

Quite a few problematic bits in that log.
First:

NEVER have a Monitor/Display Capture in the same scene as any Game or Window Captures. Display capture is the WORST performing capture method, and can actively interfere with GC/WC and cause performance issues in OBS. It should be avoided at all costs.
If you do NEED a Display Capture, it should be in its own scene with no other captures.

Second, you have Psychovisual Tuning enabled. This is well-known to cause encoding overload situations, even on systems that should otherwise not cause a problem.
Third, you are not running OBS as Administrator. This isn't a requirement, but can help in very GPU-heavy games (like MSFS and any VR application) to make sure OBS gets priority to handle its housekeeping tasks before the game eats the rest.

Fourth (and most likely, from the video and lack of frameskip in the log), you are running multiple monitors at different refresh rates. This is a long-standing bug that was SUPPOSED to have been fixed in Win10 2004, but still presents on some systems even on Win10 2009 (as you are on).
To test for this, right-click the OBS Preview window, and 'disable preview'. If the recorded video output is improved, you are still affected. The only fix is to either leave the OBS preview disabled, or run ALL of your monitors at the same framerate (HMD not included).
The log is the same of the second video.
Thanks for analyze, I will take a look and post a feedback.

1) About the multiple source, I'm not using the VR scene for capture but the ATC scene(yeah I know it can cause confusion for moment) and scene which contains both have always one of two disable following the "game" started in admin or not but will removed them for testing.

2) The setup "Psychovisual Tuning" is automatically set up by obs in simple mod. Will try with disable in advanced mode but following nvidia recommanded setting for obs it's recommanded to activate this

3) Following the log analyzer of obs, it is not recommanded to start obs as admin but will try

4) It's not possible to run monitor as same refresh rate. My main monitor for fps game is 144hz and other are for obs etc.. which are only 60hz. Will by putting obs in background of the main monitor or disabling preview for testing.

FR-The_S

I've test all the solution and one has a better render than my video. Every time a lagging video.
I've been able to have a clean view by using game capture and cropping top & down at 50, sizing the image at 4k and vertical position -510 but it's not really friendly and will need an other scene for game which have a clean vr view instead of games like mfs which display the split view on the game same as the headset.

The plugin should be a easy solution but it seems lagging.

the_wice

so i have now this problem with the final update OBS,
i use f1 22 and if i have a obs closed my fps are good, but if i streaming the fps come 45.
i have a ryzen 9 5900x with rtx 3080ti ane 32gb ram.
anithig can help me, i don't understand very well the settig that you use to play with streaming

Kidster

I started having this issue also. Around 6 months ago this was working fine... now as soon as i hit "start recording" the VR game starts with some visual glitches. Something changed but cant find a fix for it