Question / Help Using a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme capture card with OBS - Black Screen/No Video Signal

yost21

Hey guys,

I'm trying to stream on OBS using a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme thunderbolt 2 capture box (I know it's very old)... OBS recognizes the device, but I can't get video to show up in the monitor window... I am trying a bunch of various cheap cameras... GoPros, a Canon 70d and an iPhone... All running HDMI into the BMD Intensity Extreme, then through a thunderbolt 2.0 to 3.0 adapter, then into my MacBook Pro (running Mojave 10.14.6).

I have tried seemingly every possible combination on frame rates in OBS, in BMD Desktop Video setup, and on the cameras... I've also read that some people have had success mixing and matching settings, so I've tried that as well... to no avail.

Does anybody have any insight for me here? Is the Intensity Extreme simply too old? Could the Thunderbolt 2.0 to 3.0 adapter Be causing the issues?

Also, is there any other app I can use to preview the feed from the Intensity Extreme just to confirm that the device is indeed properly transferring video signal to the MacBook?

Thanks so much, any and all input will be extremely appreciated.

Chris

baran1138

Hey guys,

I'm trying to stream on OBS using a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme thunderbolt 2 capture box (I know it's very old)... OBS recognizes the device, but I can't get video to show up in the monitor window... I am trying a bunch of various cheap cameras... GoPros, a Canon 70d and an iPhone... All running HDMI into the BMD Intensity Extreme, then through a thunderbolt 2.0 to 3.0 adapter, then into my MacBook Pro (running Mojave 10.14.6).

I have tried seemingly every possible combination on frame rates in OBS, in BMD Desktop Video setup, and on the cameras... I've also read that some people have had success mixing and matching settings, so I've tried that as well... to no avail.

Does anybody have any insight for me here? Is the Intensity Extreme simply too old? Could the Thunderbolt 2.0 to 3.0 adapter Be causing the issues?

Also, is there any other app I can use to preview the feed from the Intensity Extreme just to confirm that the device is indeed properly transferring video signal to the MacBook?

Thanks so much, any and all input will be extremely appreciated.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I don't know about OBS (still have a black screen (although sound appears to be received into OBS), But... do this for your output of BM Intensity Extreme, go into the "BM Media Express" software and got to the top Menu: media express, then preferences, then change "Project Video Format:" to 1080i59.94 - that should give you an video output from BM intensity extrmeme. Even though your camera setting is probably outputting something else, like 23.98P FDH or 29.97P...it doesn't seem to matter. Then try OBS again.

Hope it helps

Anthony

halli.goolsby

Did y'all find a fix to this? I updated the firmware of the ATEM Television Studio HD (old I know) and am running Intensity Extreme into thunderbolt to my Mac. I also updated OBS to 26.1.2. Need a solution or people are not gonna be happy on Sunday.