Twitch alerts issue, probably obs-browser related

FukounaShoujo

Hi,

I decided to reach out to the forum after months of frustrating experience regarding the OBS browser sources. I first thought it was an issue with a third-party service (alert box) provider or my system. Now I'm pretty sure this is a problem with OBS. And it's hella annoying.

When I started to stream in November 2022, everything worked fine with the alert box from Streamlabs I used. After a while it started to get unstable. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the problem started after doing an OBS update but it's not not out of the question.

Interestingly, the test-alerts from Twitch always work (TTS sometimes fails), so I guess those aren't sent via the Twitch EventSub WS connection.

What I tried to resolve the issue:
  • resetting Streamlabs alerts
  • clearing OBS browser cache
  • logging off and on in all services
  • deleted and re-created all browser sources
  • reinstalling OBS
  • checked for all kinds of network problems (stuff being blocked, etc)
  • reinstalling OBS (after switching to Windows 11, clean install on formatted drive)
  • wrote a NestJS app to fetch Twitch events and use a DIY alert box -> same problem
  • switching to the Twitch alert box
What I think is causing the issue:

The alert box is just a website which connects to the Twitch API to fetch events. I guess that one of the following scenarios is causing the problems here:
  • javascript in browser-instance inside browser-source stops working
  • javascript events in browser-instance inside browser-source stops working
  • websocket connection dies and won't reconnect
  • browser-source kinda hibernates for some reason if it was inactive for a while
With the latest obs-browser plugin release being released in 2018 and the last version being from 2022 I guess the browser version is pretty old? Maybe something became incompatible. I don't know what code is used in the latest OBS builds, so I can't say if this is an actual problem.

Additional information:

I found this line in the release notes for OBS Studio 30.0.2
Fixed handling frontend JS events in browser sources [RytoEX]
Sounded pretty promising but seemingly it didn't help with my issue.

Today, I've switched to the OBS Studio 30.1 Beta 2 (Pre-release) but I wasn't able to test the alerts with that version.

I've always used the latest OBS version and with each update I hoped that the issue would be resolved but nothing changed about it.
Here's a list of all OBS versions I used while encountering the problem:

OBS Studio 30.0.2 (Dec 10, 2023)
OBS Studio 30.0 (Nov 12, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.1.3 (Jun 19, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.1.2 (May 29, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.1.1 (May 9, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.1 (May 2, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.0.2 (Feb 4, 2023)
OBS Studio 29.0 (Jan 8, 2023)
OBS Studio 28.1.2 (Nov 5, 2022)

While doing research I encountered a lot of posts of people having the same issue. Maybe it's pretty common.
Fix, please!