Teleport

Teleport 0.7.1

crackshottv

Amazing work on this, setup was butter smooth. Just running into an issue where my streaming PC is skipping frames it seems. Wondering if it's a router issue or if there's anything you've heard about this before?

Cheers.

FroDude90

Hello everyone. I have a question as I feel as though I have just about exhausted every possible resource trying to fix my issue getting teleport to work before giving up and just buying another capture card. So before I throw in the towel, I made an account here in hopes of learning something. I have followed several guides on installing the plugin and I have gotten to where both PC's have OBS and Teleport installed and active, yet my GamingPC does not show an image on my StreamingPC despite the StreamingPC identifying the GamingPC. Ive opened ports(which I think could be the issue but Ive spend several hours opening and changing ports on firewalls, I just don't know anymore), followed guides on Youtube to the tee, yet my outcome is somehow different(very demoralizing) and updated OBS and teleport several times over to see if that couldve been an issue. No spoon. In case the following info is of use,

GamingPC: Linux Endeavor OS

StreamingPC: Windows 10 OS

YorVeX

Hello everyone. I have a question as I feel as though I have just about exhausted every possible resource trying to fix my issue getting teleport to work before giving up and just buying another capture card. So before I throw in the towel, I made an account here in hopes of learning something. I have followed several guides on installing the plugin and I have gotten to where both PC's have OBS and Teleport installed and active, yet my GamingPC does not show an image on my StreamingPC despite the StreamingPC identifying the GamingPC. Ive opened ports(which I think could be the issue but Ive spend several hours opening and changing ports on firewalls, I just don't know anymore), followed guides on Youtube to the tee, yet my outcome is somehow different(very demoralizing) and updated OBS and teleport several times over to see if that couldve been an issue. No spoon. In case the following info is of use,

As for ruling out firewall being the culprit the easiest way would be to simply completely disable it for the testing period. Of course don't leave it that way for security reasons, only do it for testing. If it works fine then you know you have to investigate more into this direction, if it still doesn't work you can scratch this off the list.

The ideal setup if you have an application firewall (like most software firewalls, including the one integrated with Windows) would be to allow OBS to listen on any ports and leave the default port 0 configured for Teleport, making Teleport automatically pick a random port.

If you have firewalls where you need to set a specific port configure a port explicitly in Teleport and open that in the firewall. In 99% of setups you only need to configure firewall ports on the side that listens for connections, which in your case would be the Linux streaming PC, e.g. you'd need to set up a port in iptables that Teleport (through OBS) can listen on.

Two things I have recently seen that people have done wrong causing issues like that:
  • they picked a port number below 1024 - these are reserved and using them will often cause issues, don't do that
  • they tried to connect two different Teleport versions with each other, don't do that, use the same version on both sides (currently that would be 0.6.6)

FroDude90

As for ruling out firewall being the culprit the easiest way would be to simply completely disable it for the testing period. Of course don't leave it that way for security reasons, only do it for testing. If it works fine then you know you have to investigate more into this direction, if it still doesn't work you can scratch this off the list.

The ideal setup if you have an application firewall (like most software firewalls, including the one integrated with Windows) would be to allow OBS to listen on any ports and leave the default port 0 configured for Teleport, making Teleport automatically pick a random port.

If you have firewalls where you need to set a specific port configure a port explicitly in Teleport and open that in the firewall. In 99% of setups you only need to configure firewall ports on the side that listens for connections, which in your case would be the Linux streaming PC, e.g. you'd need to set up a port in iptables that Teleport (through OBS) can listen on.

Two things I have recently seen that people have done wrong causing issues like that:
  • they picked a port number below 1024 - these are reserved and using them will often cause issues, don't do that
  • they tried to connect two different Teleport versions with each other, don't do that, use the same version on both sides (currently that would be 0.6.6)
You know what. That may be the issue. Since I have two different OS on each machine, each obs has a different version now that I look at them. Windows version is behind while the Linux version is ahead and it doesnt look like the Windows version can be updated further. I suppose adding a Linux OS to the stream PC could fix that since updates are different on linux.

Tuna

You know what. That may be the issue. Since I have two different OS on each machine, each obs has a different version now that I look at them. Windows version is behind while the Linux version is ahead and it doesnt look like the Windows version can be updated further. I suppose adding a Linux OS to the stream PC could fix that since updates are different on linux.
OBS versions should not be too relevant. Teleport version may..

Polyh3dron

I really really wish this would support HDR, it'd be the only way to do dual PC 4K60 HDR streaming. Right now it's impossible if you're using a DisplayPort monitor at a higher refresh rate. My OBS instance on my gaming PC currently tone maps my HDR game signal before sending it out with OBS teleport to the streaming PC, meaning I can't record or stream HDR. Windows display cloning doesn't do HDR either.

Polyh3dron

Is this Plugin able to transfer HDR Content? That would be a real advantage over NDI which cannot transfer HDR.

I put in a feature request here, no one has chimed in aside from fzwoch who is "not planning on diving into that"

sixdenk

Yes please can we have HDR support?
And also is it possible to have a standalone app like NDI? Or why is teleport better to use than NDI? Since NDI does not need obs running on the gaming pc

YorVeX

I put in a feature request here, no one has chimed in aside from fzwoch who is "not planning on diving into that"
The ugly part is that OBS supports only YUV 10 bit and 16 bit color formats, whereas the TurboJPEG library used by Teleport only supports RGB 12 and 16 bit color formats, so it will always need an extra format conversion (including from planar format to linear and I guess the packing pattern would also be different).

That conversion currently can't be requested from OBS for outputs. About filters or in general the swscale implementations wrapped by OBS I am not sure, but I would assume it's not supported there either, since OBS just doesn't use these formats itself.

And it's only supported in the new TurboJPEG V3 API (still in beta), which doesn't have an existing Go wrapper (yet), and not by the one that Teleport is currently based on.

All that doesn't mean it can't be done, but it's going to be a hell of a lot of work.

Sir Ropey

Did you ever find the issue which was causing you to drop frames on your streaming PC..?

I have been doing some testing today with Teleport and have been running into the same thing, I'm gaming on a Windows 11 OS and streaming a Windows 10 PC, both are up to date with all of the latest Windows updates and running the same version of OBS and Teleport.

I've got Teleport set to 50% quality, which is giving me about a 100M transfer via my LAN which should not be a problem at all as it's all gigabit, I am streaming out to Twitch using the following settings with an i7 4790K at 4.4Ghz, 16Gb Ram and an Nvidia GTX 1080:

Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 6000Kbps
Keyframe Interval: 2
Preset: I've tried the following P5/P6/P7
Tuning: High Quality
Multipass Mode: I've tried both Single Pass and also Two Pass (Quarter Res)
Profile: High
Look Ahead: Off
Psyco Vis Tuning: On
GPU: 0
Max B-Frames: 2

The stream starts fine and displays perfectly fine on the Streaming PC however the bitrate seems to be very erratic, it'll hover around the 6k mark and all is ok, then there will be a sudden drop maybe to 1-2k and the stream will start dropping frames and buffering on the webside if things, it'll then run ok for a few minutes then the bitrate will wobble again, I've seen it peak at like 25k which is WAY above what it should be.

I've tried quite a bit, disable hardware encoding in web browser and in OBS, used different settings 1536x864 at 60 fps with Bicubic and Lanczos and also at 1920x1080 at 60 fps with the same downscale filter settings and I have the same thing happen continually.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can look at, I really like the Teleport feature and if I can get this sorted its definitely something to continue to use.

I have tried local recordings just as a sidenote using the stream encoder settings and they turn out perfect without and issues or stutters at all, just seems the streaming side is the problem.

Thanks.

YorVeX

Did you ever find the issue which was causing you to drop frames on your streaming PC..?

I have been doing some testing today with Teleport and have been running into the same thing, I'm gaming on a Windows 11 OS and streaming a Windows 10 PC, both are up to date with all of the latest Windows updates and running the same version of OBS and Teleport.

I've got Teleport set to 50% quality, which is giving me about a 100M transfer via my LAN which should not be a problem at all as it's all gigabit, I am streaming out to Twitch using the following settings with an i7 4790K at 4.4Ghz, 16Gb Ram and an Nvidia GTX 1080:

Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 6000Kbps
Keyframe Interval: 2
Preset: I've tried the following P5/P6/P7
Tuning: High Quality
Multipass Mode: I've tried both Single Pass and also Two Pass (Quarter Res)
Profile: High
Look Ahead: Off
Psyco Vis Tuning: On
GPU: 0
Max B-Frames: 2

The stream starts fine and displays perfectly fine on the Streaming PC however the bitrate seems to be very erratic, it'll hover around the 6k mark and all is ok, then there will be a sudden drop maybe to 1-2k and the stream will start dropping frames and buffering on the webside if things, it'll then run ok for a few minutes then the bitrate will wobble again, I've seen it peak at like 25k which is WAY above what it should be.

I've tried quite a bit, disable hardware encoding in web browser and in OBS, used different settings 1536x864 at 60 fps with Bicubic and Lanczos and also at 1920x1080 at 60 fps with the same downscale filter settings and I have the same thing happen continually.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can look at, I really like the Teleport feature and if I can get this sorted its definitely something to continue to use.

I have tried local recordings just as a sidenote using the stream encoder settings and they turn out perfect without and issues or stutters at all, just seems the streaming side is the problem.

Thanks.
I don't see what Teleport would have to do with it, sounds like your Internet upload to Twitch ingest servers simply isn't stable. Note that even if it is stable and fast enough to certain servers or in speed tests that doesn't mean the route to Twitch is.

Many ISPs have especially that route to Twitch overloaded (it's generating an insane amount of traffic compared to other services) and Twitch and the ISPs then each say the other party needs to pay for extending the capacity of these lines (which is expensive of course), so eventually none of them do and it stays overloaded.

To verify that try the TwitchTest bandwidth tester tool at different times of the day (especially at times where you would be streaming), to be sure run the 30 second or longer tests. Maybe it's also only the route to specific ingest servers, so through that tool you might be able to find a server that works better for you.

Sir Ropey

I don't see what Teleport would have to do with it, sounds like your Internet upload to Twitch ingest servers simply isn't stable. Note that even if it is stable and fast enough to certain servers or in speed tests that doesn't mean the route to Twitch is.

Many ISPs have especially that route to Twitch overloaded (it's generating an insane amount of traffic compared to other services) and Twitch and the ISPs then each say the other party needs to pay for extending the capacity of these lines (which is expensive of course), so eventually none of them do and it stays overloaded.

To verify that try the TwitchTest bandwidth tester tool at different times of the day (especially at times where you would be streaming), to be sure run the 30 second or longer tests. Maybe it's also only the route to specific ingest servers, so through that tool you might be able to find a server that works better for you.
Thanks for that, I've checked with that tool and the quality of each connection was very low, I have had internet drop outs lately as well due to some work in my area. I tried streaming just solely from my gaming PC and I was still having the same issue there which I didn't have a week or so ago so it would seem that my internet connection is a little wonky at the moment.

Thanks for your reply, I'll see how it goes from here but its a good tool, really does work well apart from needing to have OBS open on the gaming PC and webcam and such connected to is due to audio and video sync issues, other than that its very good.

FinchIsFubar

Ok so many someone can help me out here. I am new to linux and I installed Mint on a laptop and wanted to try using this plugin for fun and testing. But no clue how I go about installing this plug in into obs to get it working. Would someone be able to help out?

Side note that I did get this working on my other windows pc with no problems and seemed to work just fine. The whole linux thing is just to mess around and test things out.

Hadagan

Hi! I've got the same problem... so what was your decision?

Unrepenting

Hello, I was wondering what issues could cause Teleport to not see the source computer. I have Teleport on the Gaming PC on Port 0 however on the second PC when I hit refresh nothing appears.

Tuna

Hello, I was wondering what issues could cause Teleport to not see the source computer. I have Teleport on the Gaming PC on Port 0 however on the second PC when I hit refresh nothing appears.
in 99% of cases it is an enabled firewall. in 1% it is weird network setup.

in 99% of cases it is an enabled firewall. in 1% it is weird network setup.

Or in my case, firewall software at one point by a vendor who doesn't understand the concept of multicast.

And more recently, an interface type that can't be switched from public to private by normal GUI means, but instead, by the Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 refuses to acknowledge the existence of my LACP-enabled interface built by Intel out of the four ports of my Intel-based GBE card).

--Katt. =^.^=

Shodah

Love this plugin! I use it to send my VR mic and audio to my streaming PC, but I have a slight issue.

What would cause game audio deysnc? I've got it set up to send what my VR headphones hear through teleport.

I have it set to my VR headphones for ease of just sending 1 teleport for all audio, there is a delay set, but it seems to keep changing.

What would you suggest to do? Quality is set to 50 on the audio.