Stutter that appears ~45 minutes into a stream.

fatmatrow

I have fixed the spiking render time issue, but the main issue remains: My stream develops stutter about 45 minute to an hour in. It starts with the OBS preview dropping down to what looks like 30fps, a vsync test shows its not running at 60fps and its the ENTIRE preview window, not a source within it. At that time the stream still may be smooth but within a few minutes it will drop to what looks like 30-45fps. I have tried everything under the sun to fix it while its still streaming, but the only fix is to stop the stream and restart obs, not ideal.

This happens even with a clean, single source profile in a fresh install of OBS without any added plugins. So I'm reasonably certain those can be ruled out

This is driving me insane. It's not a resource management issue, I monitor EVERYTHING. I have a too long list of things I've tried to do to fix it. Here are some logs where the issue happens and once i notice it stuttering on the stream I stop the stream.

SteevE-G

Hello, same here but this issue is so old and with no solution found as I know. Actually, I just hope one day I'll wake up, have an update of windows and/or OBS and it'll work better. For now, the only real solution I know is to stream with a Mac or Linux. So at least it can help people with 2-PC setup, but for 1-PC streaming I never got any solution :(

fatmatrow

If that were the case I think EVERYONE would have this issue who were single PC streaming. It's got to be a setting or combination of settings either in windows or perhaps in nvidia control panel, or in OBS itself

SteevE-G

If that were the case I think EVERYONE would have this issue who were single PC streaming. It's got to be a setting or combination of settings either in windows or perhaps in nvidia control panel, or in OBS itself

Yes sure, and the first interesting thing is I heard about that only from Nvidia users (as I remember). But on both Intel & Amd CPU.
But there is probably something else we have in common.
A setting like you said, or a background process on Windows... I searched everywhere to understand what happens every 12 minutes but found nothing for now.

fatmatrow

Yes sure, and the first interesting thing is I heard about that only from Nvidia users (as I remember). But on both Intel & Amd CPU.
But there is probably something else we have in common.
A setting like you said, or a background process on Windows... I searched everywhere to understand what happens every 12 minutes but found nothing for now.
I have tested a staggering number of settings combinations in the past almost 3 weeks now. I'm getting near 100 hours of time just trying to get my stream right. I'm to the point where I'm rebuilding my old 1700x and 1070 rig to be an encoding box, and I'm going to get a capture card. Some people suggest using ndi but i dont want ANYTHING on the gaming computer except the game, and as few points of failure as possible. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the encoding only rig also stutters tho. I streamed console/capture card on it for years with 0 issues. I come back after a year off and try to single pc stream games and it's been a nightmare. A 3700x/3060ti combo is beastly enough to game in 1080@60 and stream at 900@60, doubly so with NVENC.

I just want to be able to stream again without having to worry if it's stuttering and without having to restart OBS multiple times in a 4 hour stream. Why do NO DEVS chime in about these issues. This isnt the dx12 frame reorder issue either, this is OBS, as a program, dropping it's framerate

fatmatrow

You have temperature history ? (CPU, GPU MoBo)
I don't have it logged but I I was monitoring them in hwinfo during all of this. Everything was well within normal ranges, I keep my fans cranked to 100 percent on the case and tower cpu cooler, and the curve on my gpu keeps it below 65c. My cpu didn't get about about 60 while gaming and streaming. I did try to a few runs without it to see if maybe it was causing some conflict but still had the same issues

Tomasz Góral

Energy effinency ?
I'm asking because it looks like throttling to me, because activete after time.
Could use a CPU speed chart.

fatmatrow

Energy effinency ?
I'm asking because it looks like throttling to me, because activete after time.
Could use a CPU speed chart.
I also thought this could be the issue but my processor stays pegged at 4.25 boost speed the whole time.

If I stop the stream, change profile, change back, then start again, the issue goes away for another 30-45 minutes.

A tower cooler would heat soak within a few minutes I would think

SteevE-G

I really think it's not related to temperature or overload because on my side, I get this issue every 12 exact minutes, and it's not depending of the encoding settings, even on x264 for an easy work à 10% CPU and low temperature, this issue happens to me. Even without encoding anything but just looking at the OBS Preview. It makes no sense. I have to find what the PC does every 12 minutes :D But probably not related at the encoding itself.

Last edited:

SteevE-G

I'm running an ASUS x570 tuf gaming plus with on board cooling and I have fantastic airflow in my case, I haven't noticed anything odd temp wise with it

I can see we are a lot with this issue to use an Asus gaming motherboard. I don't know if it's just because a lot of people use this brand, or if it's related to our issue...

fatmatrow

of course you read?

They suggest using water cooling, do you have one?
I know about water cooling but my operating temperatures are perfectly fine already. A large dual tower dial fan air cooler is comparable to most AIO coolers. I'm not even overclocking.

fatmatrow

The logs are from my new system.

I have replaced literally everything over the last 2 months trying to solve this issue. This is not hyperbole. Power supply, ram, mobo, CPU, GPU, cooler, hard drives. I replaced all my cables, got a power conditioner, tried different monitors, deep dived into my internet speeds (they were rock solid) I've tried everything. I have an entire extra system minus a case and fans now, and I still have the stutter

SteevE-G

Hi @fatmatrow , I would like to suggest to try with all HDD and SSD turned off, except the main system storage. Especially if you have an HDD (or few). It's possible to do with the device manager for example. This is to avoid Windows accessing to them in the background while OBS is running, sometimes it can affect the overall performances for few seconds. And unfortunately Windows is checking these drives on a regular basis, for nothing.
It's just one more test to do, no guarantee of anything, but just in case... :)

fatmatrow

Hi @fatmatrow , I would like to suggest to try with all HDD and SSD turned off, except the main system storage. Especially if you have an HDD (or few). It's possible to do with the device manager for example. This is to avoid Windows accessing to them in the background while OBS is running, sometimes it can affect the overall performances for few seconds. And unfortunately Windows is checking these drives on a regular basis, for nothing.
It's just one more test to do, no guarantee of anything, but just in case... :)
I'll try yanking the hdd out. I have 2 nvme drives otherwise, and one of them has games on it, the other is the system drive with obs on it.

But also this isn't a happens for a few second thing, it happens until I either restart obs or load another profile and load the main one back