Question / Help Stream Quality Comparison : Dual vs Single PC stream setup

PLYMRPH

I have a dedicated streaming desktop to do PC to PC livestream. I'm having stream quality issues for some reason I do not know.
I'm not a multimedia engineer to know all the technical stuff but I do have basic knowledge of how these things work.

I built a dedicated streaming desktop to take the load off my gaming rig so there'll be no resource sharing of some sort.
I'm using Razer Ripsaw and Voicemeeter to capture the video and audio out from my gaming pc to my streaming pc.
My gaming pc is now running on better graphic setting and frame rate so there's no issue there.

Below are the specs of the streaming desktop
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Corsair DDR4 4GB 2133Mhz CL15
  • RX 550 4GB GDDR5
Here's the OBS settings that I currently have on the streaming desktop.
  • x264
  • CBR 6,000kbps
  • Medium cpu usage preset
  • 2 keyframe interval
  • profile = none
  • tune = none
  • 1920x1080 @ 60fps
  • Lancoz sharpening
  • Process Priority High
These are the only settings that I changed and this is what it looked like after
https://youtu.be/zOiLuQyfgKk

But before I built the streaming desktop I have this settings for OBS on my gaming desktop
  • x264
  • CBR 6,000kbps
  • veryfast cpu usage preset
  • 2 keyframe interval
  • profile = high
  • tune = none
  • 1920x1080 @ 60fps
  • Lancoz sharpening
  • Process Priority above normal
Below are the specs of the gaming desktop
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Corsair DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz CL15
  • RX 580 8GB GDDR5
I think those are the hardware information that is relevant. anyway here's what it looked like (do not mind the camera quality I was using a DSLR on this one)
https://youtu.be/Rjb_uVQ3mpI

My question is why does my dual streaming setup looks a little bit worse than the single one?
Does RAM have anything to do with it? I know OBS uses so little but how about clock speed?
I noticed when inspecting the stats on youtube there are 2 different playback codecs being used right click on the video and select stats for nerds.
dual pc - avc1 & mp4a
single pc - vp09 & opus
does this matter too?

I really don't get why it's still blurring with better settings and a dedicated machine. If you think this information is not enough I'll provide the logs after tonight's stream.

PS english is not my primary language. Please be nice to me :)

PLYMRPH

Bitrate is listed up there. 6,000kbps sometimes I do 10,000kbps.

My upload stream is no problem. I have a down of 900mbps and up of 35mbps

PLYMRPH

Hold on 35000kbps?? thats almost maxing out my upload speed and streaming services only allow a standard of 6000kbps. some of them 10000-15000kbps. not sure if that's an option for me

PLYMRPH

1000kbps = 1mbps right?
My upload is 35-40mbps or 35000-40000kbps
My CBR bitrate on obs is 6mbps or 6000kbps. This should be more than enough or close.

I'm trying to understand what you're trying to say.

TechKnow

1000kbps = 1mbps right?
My upload is 35-40mbps or 35000-40000kbps
My CBR bitrate on obs is 6mbps or 6000kbps. This should be more than enough or close.

I'm trying to understand what you're trying to say.

I am not a genius at OBS, sorry. but I can not figure out your problem because I don't really understand either. It's a pleasure to try to help you.

carlmmii

I noticed when inspecting the stats on youtube there are 2 different playback codecs being used right click on the video and select stats for nerds.
dual pc - avc1 & mp4a
single pc - vp09 & opus
does this matter too?

If you're comparing your recording quality based on what you see on youtube, then those codecs are the most important thing. Youtube will always re-encode whatever you upload, and it will usually pick the encoder/bitrate based on the input resolution (not always, but generally speaking). 720p will nearly always get the cheaper avc codec (read: h.264), higher resolutions have a better chance at getting the VP9 codec (leaps and bounds better quality, but much harder to encode on youtube's side).

The fact that your single pc recording sample got the VP9 treatment on youtube means that it will probably look better regardless of how good the source recording is.

The only reliable way to compare encoding quality from OBS is to check it at the source, before transcoding. Compare between the files you create, not what youtube transcodes to.

After that, just hope that youtube uses vp9 for your upload. Again, higher resolutions have a better chance at this... apparently 1440p is guaranteed to get it, so that is a legitimate reason to possibly upscale a 1080p source, just for youtube quality.

liayn

Disclaimer: My text probably does not solve any issue here, but at least I try to shed some light on effective transfer rates.

1.) are those 35 Mbit/s the numbers they tell you or the numbers you measured? (https://speedof.me)
2.) If this is the real net upload speed as measured => cool stuff, feel free to send your full 35000 kbit/s bitrate up the line
3.) Otherwise, the following calculation kicks in:

35 mbit/s upload is approx. 35000 kbit/s.
Mostly actual bandwidth will vary so lets better take 10% off => 32000 kbit/s gross bandwidth
From this gross bandwidth you need to subtract the data transfer overhead. That's usually something up to 20%.
This makes us end up with an expectable bitrate of roughly 25500 kbit/s.
If you need a safe bet, don't go beyond 25000 kbit/s as bitrate.

Besides all that, of course, it totally suffices to send 6000 kbit/s down the line for 720p60.
With your upload speed you can actually go 4K60, quite lovely.
See also: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702

Regarding the codec stuff: https://www.youtube.com/testtube
There is a dedicated section about codes. (at least in the German version)
It depends on resolution and your playback preferences, what you will get when watching videos.