Source Record

Source Record 0.3.2

retsofaj

This is a great filter that I've (unknowingly) been trying to find for a long time - thank you so much for making it.

My goal is to be able to use OBS for both realtime compositing and capturing each of the inputs into separate files that I can process later (e.g. in Final Cut Pro). I think that by applying this filter to each of my input sources that I should be able to meet this goal.

I've only explored it for a short time, but one question and one enhancement request:
  • (Q) Does Source Record work on audio sources, or only on video sources? On my iMac it appears under "Effect Filters" for my FaceTime camera, but does not appear under "Audio Filters" for my iMac's microphone.
  • (E) Can the Record setting for each source be synchronized to the global Recording / Stream state? Currently as soon as OBS starts the individual sources are being recorded which can eat storage if one isn't careful.
Thank you again for making this great feature (which I'd love to see integrated into the OBS distribution)!

Exeldro

@retsofaj I made it for video sources, but I might get it it working for audio only sources too at a later moment.
adding an option for when to record should be possible, let me add that to my todo list
recording:
  • no recording
  • always
  • when program recording
  • when program streaming
  • when program streaming or recording
Something like these options might work instead of the record checkbox.

ASchneider

Hello!

I've tried your filter plugin and did not understood how it should work: When does the recording for the source should start? I've checked the record button but nothing happens.

Also, I think the the suggestions from @retsofaj are great! Having an option to set when it starts recording automatically by checking the global OBS recording state would be awesome :)

Onde last question: does the order of recording filter matters? Since I have a couple of color corrections and sharpen filters, it is good to know if I need to set this filter at the bottom or not.

Thanks!

ASchneider

Sorry, here are some idea I've just had:

1. Add a checkbox to record "only when source is active".
2. Use same settings as the main recorder. I know that this would be a new encode, nevertheless it would be nice to use the same settings :)

Thanks!

Exeldro

@ASchneider
the order of the filters does not matter, all filters that are on the source are rendered on the recording
In version 0.1.0 it should start recording as soon as you check the record checkbox, if nothing happens check your OBS log file for errors
I tested only with x264 and have had multiple reports that NVENC is not working yet.
the plugin defaults to the same encoder as the main encoder I can look into also using the same encoder settings

I am using OBS to facilitate creating video tutorials with as much as possible being done live, so hopefully a practiced Subject Matter Expert can create a finished tutorial video in real time. (the scenes are fully titled and branded.)

But this sounds like source recordings also being record can make much easier to fix mistakes by taking the content into a non-linear video editor — is this correct?

RichieTee

Can this be used for recording scenes too?
Yes it can, just tested it right now, however it doesn't yet record the audio.

I am using OBS to facilitate creating video tutorials with as much as possible being done live, so hopefully a practiced Subject Matter Expert can create a finished tutorial video in real time. (the scenes are fully titled and branded.)

But this sounds like source recordings also being record can make much easier to fix mistakes by taking the content into a non-linear video editor — is this correct?
Correct, you can use the source file in Post Production, i believe that is the idea behind it.

@Exeldro
When using Streaming and Recording Option, it causes OBS to crash, also I noticed the filter doesn't record audio which I believe is by design
Can confirm that x264 works, another observation i found is that the the Source Record must use the global recording folder or it doesn't work.
Another observation is when I stop my recording, the source record doesn't stop, and no thumbnail is created on the video to indicate that recording has stopped.

ASchneider

Ok, so I could not make it to work, sadly.

When setting it to use NVENC, it does nothing, no output whatsoever. Then, trying with software x264, OBS crashed and made my system unresponsive for couple of minutes. I've set 3 sources with source record to start at program record, only the main output and one of the sources was there, at the output folder.

Here's my log, in case it helps in any way.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 2021-05-14 08-14-47.txt
    505.8 KB · Views: 118

Exeldro

@ASchneider I have only been able to test x264 encoding and have nvenc test planned for later this week.
In the log I see an encoder error: "height not divisible by 2 (256x133)"
Can you try with an other source of which the height is dividable by 2 or add a crop/pad filter of 1 pixel?

RichieTee

Update 2 - Testing on a different PC with Intel Integrated GPU
Encoder x264

Always: Recording is ok
Recording: Recording is ok
Streaming or Recording: Recording is ok
None: Fine
Streaming: Untested

OBS Crashes occassionally, will try to test further if i can reproduce the cause.
Here is my crash log for reference

Will restest on my other PC with NVIDIA GTX 950M

ASchneider

@ASchneider I have only been able to test x264 encoding and have nvenc test planned for later this week.
In the log I see an encoder error: "height not divisible by 2 (256x133)"
Can you try with an other source of which the height is dividable by 2 or add a crop/pad filter of 1 pixel?

Just did that, and it did not work.

If use FFMPEG (Hardware), it starts recording all sources but OBS crashes after a few seconds.

If I set the exact same settings as my main encoder (H264 NVENC) it does not crash but sources are not recorded.

I'm sending both logs when it crashes and when no files were recorded.

Thanks!

Attachments

• No recordings - 2021-05-14 12-19-20.txt
    115 KB · Views: 82
  • Crashed - 2021-05-14 12-18-57.txt
    80.1 KB · Views: 79

RichieTee

Just did that, and it did not work.

If use FFMPEG (Hardware), it starts recording all sources but OBS crashes after a few seconds.

If I set the exact same settings as my main encoder (H264 NVENC) it does not crash but sources are not recorded.

I'm sending both logs when it crashes and when no files were recorded.

Thanks!
Hi Schneider, did you by any chance install the 2019 redistributable and restart your pc?
I did that and now I can record with x264, Quick Sync 264, NVENC H264, NVENC H264 (via ffmpeg), all can record successfully. However, it is a performance hog, encoding lags hit 59%. Will share the screenshots later. My OBS Crashes when i attempt to close it, i use RC 27.0.0.4 so that could be one of the issues.