Source Record

Source Record 0.3.4

Fromthehollow

So I think I figured out why it was recording other sources when they aren't showing and how to fix it. Pretty sure the Display Capture only recorded because I had forgot to move the source I was trying to record back onto the Canvas after resizing from 3840x1080 to 1920x1080. I named them all differently again and in the properties of the Elgato Capture Card Source I checked the box to deactivate when it's not showing and now it will only record my active sources and no extras. Display Capture doesn't have that option in the properties but it also doesn't record itself anymore when I'm trying to record something else and that thing is actually on the canvas lol.

However, The crashes still continue to be a thing and it did actually randomly crash on me once after I had stopped recording but before I closed it myself. The Webcam not wanting to show again also continues to be a thing, though I'm wondering if I add the source record to my streaming source if that would fix it. It's also not a huge deal I guess, I don't plan on streaming often anymore and it fixes itself after closing and reopening, just seems like it shouldn't need some kind of workaround or fix though.

Technically I could stream and record from the same Profile and Scene Collection, which would be preferable and eliminate that problem. However I'd prefer to not have stream alerts at all while Recording and that along with needing the bigger canvas size (before I knew about Source Record) is why I set up a different Profile and Scene Collection to begin with. I'm thinking I'll end up just setting a mute / unmute hotkey that also hides / unhides the alerts so I can toggle them on and off when I need to. That just leaves the concern with the crashes, it hasn't happened while recording or streaming yet, but that would be a deal breaker for me the first time it does.

I've been using Elden Ring with Max Settings (Minus resolution, I'm monitor capped at 1080p) and Max Ray Tracing settings to test out this plugin and see how using the plugin impacts the system versus recording with a bigger canvas and I notice the gameplay looking and feeling smoother with the Source Record Plugin versus the big canvas and the frame rate counter reflects that too. If OBS wouldn't crash this plugin would be perfect! Definitely feels like a must have if anyone wants to stream and also record that content and have more flexibility in editing and / or just not want alerts, etc. in the recordings.
Lol, not sure what to make of this anymore. I recorded the same section of Elden Ring with the larger canvas to compare file size and how the game played while recording and this time the single file from the larger canvas was smaller than the 3 files that the source record spit out. I had ended up changing my settings from CQP to CBR as in my testing CBR was letting the game run more smoothly and CQP was taking up massive file space anyway (like 1 GB per 1 minute) and so I'm guessing maybe that's why it ended up being smaller this time around?

Also this test seems to not be the most consistent as it seems to either randomly run more framey at times through the same section or maybe its tied in with the time of day in game + weather effects (seems probably more likely, but sometimes it drops frames when it's not raining and will hold perfectly steady while raining so idk lol).

Between my concerns about the stability / crashes and the smaller file size (plus probably less resources being used since it's only recording each source at 1080p and not also a combo of the sources with one over top of the other) I'll probably just stick to the side by side canvas. It also simplifies my workflow a bit to not use the source record anyways as then I'm only dealing with one file with all of my individual audio and video tracks in it. Still stick by what I said though that for someone who wants to stream and also record that same stuff it feels pretty necessary.

PedroMorais

I am running OBS version 29.0.2 and source record 0.3.2 and OBS crashes if I have source record as a filter. Does anyone else have this issue?

This situation also happens to me too.
Basically if you have the filter activated and whenever I close the OBS, it crashes.
And when I turn OBS back on, for example the video settings are blocked, until I turn off the filter again.

It seems that the filter is in some kind of constant use of the video source and blocks closing OBS or trying to edit video options (even without streaming).

Colesy

So I think I figured out why it was recording other sources when they aren't showing and how to fix it. Pretty sure the Display Capture only recorded because I had forgot to move the source I was trying to record back onto the Canvas after resizing from 3840x1080 to 1920x1080. I named them all differently again and in the properties of the Elgato Capture Card Source I checked the box to deactivate when it's not showing and now it will only record my active sources and no extras. Display Capture doesn't have that option in the properties but it also doesn't record itself anymore when I'm trying to record something else and that thing is actually on the canvas lol.

However, The crashes still continue to be a thing and it did actually randomly crash on me once after I had stopped recording but before I closed it myself. The Webcam not wanting to show again also continues to be a thing, though I'm wondering if I add the source record to my streaming source if that would fix it. It's also not a huge deal I guess, I don't plan on streaming often anymore and it fixes itself after closing and reopening, just seems like it shouldn't need some kind of workaround or fix though.

Technically I could stream and record from the same Profile and Scene Collection, which would be preferable and eliminate that problem. However I'd prefer to not have stream alerts at all while Recording and that along with needing the bigger canvas size (before I knew about Source Record) is why I set up a different Profile and Scene Collection to begin with. I'm thinking I'll end up just setting a mute / unmute hotkey that also hides / unhides the alerts so I can toggle them on and off when I need to. That just leaves the concern with the crashes, it hasn't happened while recording or streaming yet, but that would be a deal breaker for me the first time it does.

I've been using Elden Ring with Max Settings (Minus resolution, I'm monitor capped at 1080p) and Max Ray Tracing settings to test out this plugin and see how using the plugin impacts the system versus recording with a bigger canvas and I notice the gameplay looking and feeling smoother with the Source Record Plugin versus the big canvas and the frame rate counter reflects that too. If OBS wouldn't crash this plugin would be perfect! Definitely feels like a must have if anyone wants to stream and also record that content and have more flexibility in editing and / or just not want alerts, etc. in the recordings.
I agree, this software is an awesome add on. And like you said perfect for someone like me that wants to stream with alerts etc but then have a "clean" version to edit into videos. Only issue is I've been having a few crashes, really made streaming the other day a pain as would crash every 5 minutes if that. Fix these teething issues & it'd be perfect.

Buddha_108

I have a rather peculiar problem, I currently have OBS version 29.0.2 and the Source Recording plugin 0.3.2, the problem is that the directory where I command to save the files every time I open OBS is misconfigured, that is: I put it on the disk D in the Gameplay folder and I close and reopen OBS the folder is changed to another directory, specifically to one inside the directory where the OBS is installed, previously it did not do this, I already tried with a previous version of OBS and also with an older version of the plugin but I have the same problem, I also tried a fresh installation of Windows but the problem persists, I don't know if anyone else experiences this problem but I can't find a solution other than putting the correct directories back every time before to save or start directly, because if I forget to check the directories and I try to change them on hot, it doesn't save anything, please help me because I don't know what causes this problem

syrehn

Is there any way that this can be used for sources that have transparency?. Or will it be added in the future? So far everything I've tried (including the .mov file) generates the video with no alpha channel and a black background.

iork

Im a linux User.. using OBS 29. Tried many ways to have this plug in and also 'replay-source' with no success =(
Plug ins does not show on the lists for use it. If any can give me some advice i will be 4ever in debt. Thank you

Attachments

• evidencia-1.png
    evidencia-1.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 22
  • evidencia-2.png
    evidencia-2.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 22
  • evidencia-3.png
    evidencia-3.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 22

iork

Hey,
i need some help. I dont get the plugin running. I have had running it like weeks ago, but it doesnt appear in effects anymore.
I tried with version
29, 28 and 27

Any one has an idea ?
were u able to make it work? =) Regards!

Ron Plays Games

Hey Exeldro,

Love the concept of this plugin! Life saver for many.

I'm having a little trouble utilising the Replay Buffer.
Currently I have the standard OBS replay buffer of 60 seconds paired with a hotkey on my Stream Deck so I can punch out small clips to my editor for YouTube.
However, the content includes my webcam, stream overlays etc and I'd like to replay buffer JUST my in-game client (and audio). How is that possible within your plugin?

Thank you!

youjiman

Hey Exeldro,

Love the concept of this plugin! Life saver for many.

I'm having a little trouble utilising the Replay Buffer.
Currently I have the standard OBS replay buffer of 60 seconds paired with a hotkey on my Stream Deck so I can punch out small clips to my editor for YouTube.
However, the content includes my webcam, stream overlays etc and I'd like to replay buffer JUST my in-game client (and audio). How is that possible within your plugin?

Thank you!
Hello. That's the exact point of this plugin. You can record a source, or few sources in one video if you want.

The easiest way to do that is create a new scene that contains your game screen and audio only, then create a source record filter to that scene.

Ron Plays Games

Hello. That's the exact point of this plugin. You can record a source, or few sources in one video if you want.

The easiest way to do that is create a new scene that contains your game screen and audio only, then create a source record filter to that scene.
Hey Youjiman,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I understand how the plugin works, but I don't want to have a 7 hour recording that I have to manually pick through for highlights clips for YouTube. I want to utilise the Replay Buffer for Source Record so that I can hit a hotkey and have it save the past 60 seconds of the particular source (in this case, game client).

I've checked many guides but no one has stated how the replay buffer works with Source Record, it's incredibly frustrating.

youjiman

Hey Youjiman,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I understand how the plugin works, but I don't want to have a 7 hour recording that I have to manually pick through for highlights clips for YouTube. I want to utilise the Replay Buffer for Source Record so that I can hit a hotkey and have it save the past 60 seconds of the particular source (in this case, game client).

I've checked many guides but no one has stated how the replay buffer works with Source Record, it's incredibly frustrating.
Hey. Oh okay. I use the replay buffer of this plugin so I gonna tell what I know.

The replay buffer will stay on as long as you check replay buffer and the filter is enable. You don’t need to do recording but you have to set a file name, a file location, and etc.

To save the replay buffer, you have to set the hotkey. To do that, go to the hotkey tab in OBS settings while the filter is enable. You’ll see a place to set the hotkey for that.

Since you are using Stream Deck, set a button of the hotkey which the same as you set in OBS settings.

majenko

I love this filter, however I have a bit of a problem with it...

One of my cameras is a Logitech BRIO and they are notoriously flaky. Another one is a handheld device on a USB cable, and it has a slightly dodgy connection.

The upshot is that sometimes I get brief disconnections on these video devices. OBS carries on with the BRIO fine, but the handheld one I have to deactivate and reactivate for it to come back.

That I can live with. However as soon as a dropout of any form happens Source Record stops recording and won't restart. The only way I have got it to restart is to stop and restart the stream and that ain't gonna happen!

Source Record really needs to gracefully handle these dropouts / disconnects / source restarts and continue the recording - either with a few dropped frames, or by starting a fresh recording file, I really don't mind which.

It's so disheartening when you come to gather together your footage of last night's stream for editing only to find that half of it isn't there because of some momentary glitch in a camera feed...

jbuch1

Running into some issues trying to use this filter. It's great for one recording, but usually will not record a second time without restarting OBS. It just doesn't create files for the source outputs. If I try a third time, then OBS locks up/crashes. I'm currently testing it with the following:

Mac Studio M1 Max
2 webcams
OBS 29.0.2 (Silicon version)
Source Record 0.3.2 (arm)
Software Encoder (Though I've also tried the Apple h264 Encoder)

I've tested as many as 3 webcams, and that behaves similarly. Ultimately, I'd like to get 6 working.

The log for the successful recording has:
01:34:29.159: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'Source Record_CAM02'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
01:34:29.159: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'Source Record_CAM01'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
01:34:29.159:
01:34:29.159: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'Source Record_CAM01'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
01:34:29.159:
01:34:29.160: [ffmpeg muxer: 'Source Record_CAM01'] Writing file '/Users/username/Movies/OBS/Testing/01-34/CAM01-2023-04-16_01-34.mkv'...
01:34:29.161: [ffmpeg muxer: 'Source Record_CAM02'] Writing file '/Users/username/Movies/OBS/Testing/01-34/CAM02-2023-04-16_01-34.mkv'...
01:34:40.168: Output 'virtualcam_output': stopping
01:34:40.168: Output 'virtualcam_output': Total frames output: 660
01:34:40.168: Output 'virtualcam_output': Total drawn frames: 660
01:34:40.168: ==== Virtual Camera Stop ===========================================
01:34:58.560: NV12 texture support not available
01:34:58.560: P010 texture support not available

The log for the second attempt has:

01:34:58.577: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'Source Record_CAM02'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
01:34:58.577:
01:34:58.577: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'Source Record_CAM01'] bitrate: 128, channels: 2, channel_layout: 3
01:34:58.577:
01:35:07.624: Output 'virtualcam_output': stopping
01:35:07.624: Output 'virtualcam_output': Total frames output: 543
01:35:07.624: Output 'virtualcam_output': Total drawn frames: 544
01:35:07.624: ==== Virtual Camera Stop ===========================================
01:46:18.373: ==== Shutting down ==================================================

It never issues the Writing file log messages. Any help or suggestions to try would be appreciated.

jbuch1

Of course after posting that, I find a workaround. It's not closing out the obs-ffmpeg-mux processes. There were quite a few leftover from opening OBS, having it crash, then relaunching and testing recording again. If I do a sudo pkill obs-ffmpeg-mux, it will then work without having to restart OBS (and make sure there aren't leftover processes hanging around). This might also explain why I could only get MKV files to work and not MP4 or MOV.

EnderOnryo

Source Record records things in other scenes if they are active. I understand this is probably intentional as obs allows you to switch scenes so it should record at all times, but for my current needs I'm not switching scenes and would like to know if there is any way to make it so it only starts a source record of sources in the current scene when I hit record.

shinda

Be really cool if there was an option to split files by size or time like OBS's record settings. Really appreciate this plugin as it is currently though, it helps with simplifying my workflow.

jbuch1

I have temporarily solved my issue above by creating a Lua script to kill the obs_ffmpeg_mux processes whenever recording is stopped. I think that's only going to work for mkv files, since it won't properly close out the file that way. But it seems to be working without issue for mkv files now. No more hanging up or failing to create the files.

finamenon

I have temporarily solved my issue above by creating a Lua script to kill the obs_ffmpeg_mux processes whenever recording is stopped. I think that's only going to work for mkv files, since it won't properly close out the file that way. But it seems to be working without issue for mkv files now. No more hanging up or failing to create the files.
Willing to share this script? I also use MKV in case of crashes. Don't want the mp4 containers to corrupt.

jbuch1

It's a simple script:

obs = obslua
settings = {}

function script_load(settings)
obs.obs_frontend_add_event_callback(handle_event)
end

function handle_event(event)
if event == obs.OBS_FRONTEND_EVENT_RECORDING_STOPPED then
handle_recording_stopped()
end
end

function handle_recording_stopped()
local command = "pkill obs-ffmpeg-mux";
os.execute(command)
end

I based it off of the script to run a command when a scene changes found here: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/scene-execute-command.1028/