Source Record

Source Record 0.3.2

Leppämäki

So far I haven't been able to configure Source Record in any reasonable way in OBS 29. I would simply want to record a camera source on top the standard stream recording. There are multiple issues:
If I try to use any NVIDIA alternatives, OBS first freezes altogether when the recording is supposed to start, then soon completely dies on its own.
If I use the software alternative, the recording starts as expected. But If I then shuttle from scene to scene, a new recording is started every time I come to a scene containing the source I want to record! That way I end up with several parallel recordings!!
What should I try next?
I'm on a PC (Asus ROG X570-F, Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX 3070 Ti + GT 730, multiple BlackMagic connected cameras, one NDI).

Koroku

Hello there, Exeldro. Firstly, thank you so much for this plugin, it's extremely useful.

I'm having one problem, and that's that Source Record is not recording one of my sources (elgato 4k60pro mk.2) in the full resolution of 1440p, but is instead recording at 1080p.

*I figured this out myself. In OBS, under video format, it has to be set to 'NV12' for the recording to be 1440p. Otherwise it seems to default to YUY2 (the 'ANY' setting) which for some reason changes the frame size to 1080p, even when the resolution is set to 1440p...*

rifaterdemsahin

added 3 filters on the different scene only one output. why ?
Copied and did it one by one it did not change the outcome
1677063130312.png

Attachments

• 1677063112955.png
    1677063112955.png
    397.8 KB · Views: 30
I am still having the issue where I have two sources with source record filters active, save files are named differently, but the hotkey to save replay only shows for one source.

mattedia

Hi to all.
Finally the plugin is right for me.

I have to register 3 sources at the same time and I discovered this Plugin.
After the first errors and crashes, I managed to find the solution using the NVIDEA NVENC HEVC ENCODERS, the only ones that don't lead to obs crashes in my case.

The recording is perfect and of excellent quality ( I need 1080 ) .
I have the only problem, that not all the sources but, in a random way, are registered in the folder, or sometimes one or two interrupt themselves after a few minutes. Do you have any recommendations?

In the shorter tests, on the other hand, I don't have this problem, as if it only happened after 5 minutes onwards.

If you look at the three recording folders you will see that there are never three sources , with the same dates and times ...
Coincidentally, one is always missing, but it's never the same source, so the problem isn't to look there.

Any Idea ?

Attachments

• Immagine 2023-03-01 142857.png
    Immagine 2023-03-01 142857.png
    755.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Immagine 2023-03-01 143402.png
    Immagine 2023-03-01 143402.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 61

kdarroch

Is there a way to do the following?
I have Source record working and it is triggered by when the virtual camera is on/off
I would like to have the file that is created include say the 10 seconds before the virtual camera is activated

Any ideas? maybe a way to include the replay buffer in the created file?

Colesy

Need some assistance setting up for my specific use case/wants from source record. I've tried a few different things but I don't really understand what I'm doing & haven't ended up with the ideal result.

I want the ability to record (using source record) my camera & the gameplay as separate files as well as streaming (with all the overlays for the stream). Then I can edit the higher quality camera & gameplay recordings into videos without any of the stream overlays.

I'm pretty sure my PC should be able to cope with this (hopefully) but here's my specs:
i9 10900k
RTX 3090
32GB Ram

Issues I've noticed when trying to do this myself, if I stream & then am attempting to record both sources then one of the recordings ends up really low FPS & is horribly 'skippy'.

denseacat

I use studio mode to switch between scenes while streaming. As soon as i switch scene - recording stops.
Also file doesnt get "finalised" (e.g. showing as 0 bytes or something) Until i close obs completely. Tried mkv and mp4, tried software and hardware 264

ryzen 7 2700, 32 gb ram, 1060 amp

kdarroch

So every MKV file that source record makes comes up as corrupted and wont play. The MKV files created by OBS record work fine. TS in source record works Fine too. Prefer to use MKV but can't get it to write a good file.

Apparently it does not corrupt when recording with output but does corrupt when recording with virtual camera

Any ideas / suggestions

OBS 29.0.2 , latest source record

denseacat

I use studio mode to switch between scenes while streaming. As soon as i switch scene - recording stops.
Also file doesnt get "finalised" (e.g. showing as 0 bytes or something) Until i close obs completely. Tried mkv and mp4, tried software and hardware 264

ryzen 7 2700, 32 gb ram, 1060 amp
Turns out this records only few seconds and then doesnt record anything else.. i dont know why
. Any ideas? i would like to reocrd my desktop without overlays, im stremaing modelling and gamedev so it would be really welcome to have source to make youtube devlogs...

Phiniac

I can get source record to record from 4 different webcams. I can easily find where the recordings are for editing. Where are the replays saved to when I record a clip? I can't seem to find any setting anywhere that says where the replay clips are saved.

shoganai

Is there a way to have Source Record output its audio track in a different format than aac 128, preferably lossless like FLAC? If not, this would be a great feature.

mattedia

Hi everyone. I did the change/patch for the number of concurrent decondigs on NVIDIA.
Despite this , I have constant crashes , or even some sources do not record ( random ) .

I need to record 4 sources at the same time.

Do you have any advice?

I am attaching last crash dump

Attachments

• crash_OBS_SourceRecord.txt
    148.4 KB · Views: 19

Madmonkeyfun

Hi,
I have a question,
Am I able to record multiple instances of audio from OBS? I stream my Xbox games and want to be able to capture my gameplay video and audio, but also my external microphone as well.
I have tried using the different audio section, but I get either the video + game audio or video + mic audio, is there a way to capture video, game audio and mic audio or do I need to run multiple instances of source record and have 2 video's and cut the audio from one and add it to the other one ?

Thanks in advance.

KyleAndrew

Hey folks. Looking for some help with this plugin. In testing yesterday I got it configured no problem. I set up a scene to be just my DSLR and Mic with no overlays and set the plugin to record to an MP4 file. However when I go to view the MP4 file the audio seems to be clipping. I tried this with both apple hardware and software encoding with the same result. Curiously, when OBS made it's own recording (with the overlays of the show and what not) there was no clipping whatsoever, just on the file that the plugin was outputting.

I did this on an M2 Macbook Pro so there was plenty of hardware overhead. I was using a Sony DSLR with a wireless DJI microphone system. I have not yet tried this with a different audio source, however I will do so today and report back if the results end up the same.

I appreciate any help or suggestions, thank you.

KensonPlays

Extremely laggy when I try it lately. I have only one single source set to source record (gameplay, no overlays) and I've tried mkv, mp4, CBR (50k 1440p), CQP 20 through 24, all with NVENC h.264 (as well as a couple of HEVC tests).

My webcam slows to a crawl, not sure what's going on? I'm running a 5800x oc'ed to 4.2, 64gb ram, and a 3070 ti. I shouldn't be having these issues i'd think?

If I disable the source without deleting it, everything records smoothly.

Fromthehollow

I was trying out the Source Record Plugin vs. Recording on a 3840x1080 canvas to get 1080p gameplay and 1080p on FaceCam and have more flexibility in editing. Initial testing looked really great, seemed like it was less resource intensive and seemed like I was going to save on file space as even though it spit out 3 files instead of 1 and I was using the same recording settings the 3 files took up less space than the 1 file with the bigger canvas.

However, I did notice that if I switched to my streaming Profile and Scene Collection my FaceCam was not showing any image and I would have to close and reopen OBS Studio to get it to show again. The same thing would happen when switching Profile and Scene Collection back to my Recording ones.

Another thing I noticed is that OBS would often crash when I closed it with the Plugin installed. Didn't seem to affect anything, but not totally sure.

I also encountered other issues after setting the plugin up on my other scenes. The FaceCam worked without issue, however when giving them Identifying Info in the title in the front of the Filename Format (E.G. "FaceCam_" or "Gameplay_" at the front of the filename section) and having the plugin set up on every scene I have I started to have issues with my other sources. If I named them differently like Gameplay_ and DisplayCapture_ etc. then they would all record at the same time when I hit the button, not just the active scene's sources. So when recording in my Games Scene which just has FaceCam and Game Capture I would end up with FaceCam_FileName, GamePlay_Filename, ElgatoCapture_Filename, DisplayCapture_Filename, etc. when it should have only had FaceCam_Filename and Gameplay_Filename. I figured a fix to this would be to just name them all the same and it did only record the active scene's sources then but that file wouldn't work in anything anymore. I was getting a message saying it may be corrupt.

Is there any way to make it so it only records the Active Scene's Source instead of all of them? Also any idea about the FaceCam feed disappearing when switching Profiles and Scene Collections? I'm on Windows 11 with Windows Updates Current as well as the most recent version of my Bios and I'm running OBS Studio 29.0.2. For Hardware I'm running an RTX 4080 and an i7-13700KF. Encoder was set to NVIDIA NVENC HVEC with a recording format of MKV.

Fromthehollow

Hi,
I have a question,
Am I able to record multiple instances of audio from OBS? I stream my Xbox games and want to be able to capture my gameplay video and audio, but also my external microphone as well.
I have tried using the different audio section, but I get either the video + game audio or video + mic audio, is there a way to capture video, game audio and mic audio or do I need to run multiple instances of source record and have 2 video's and cut the audio from one and add it to the other one ?

Thanks in advance.
The Output Section of your settings you can go to the Streaming Tab (first one and by default I believe the one that pops up). You can check which track you want to use for your stream while live and you can enable a Twitch Vod Track if you are streaming to Twitch. In the Audio Mixer of OBS if you click the 3 dots on any of your audio sources you can go to the Advanced Audio Properties. Here you can assign each audio source you add to a different track. By default they will be checked for all 6 audio tracks when you add them so go through and have them checked for only the track(s) you want them to go to.

Your Stream will only have one output track for audio and you can have a different one for a Twitch Vod Track (so without alert sounds and maybe without stream music too) if you want. For Streaming that's all the flexibility you get with audio. But you can still have them as separate sources so that you can adjust them independently :).

However, for recording (if you have a separate Profile and Scene Collection for it) you can use all 6 audio tracks and have each one be capturing a different source if you want. You can even set this up to happen while you are streaming if you hit the record button by making use of the Advanced Audio Properties as I mentioned above. However, keep in mind here one of the tracks (usually track 1) will be for your stream output if you are streaming and recording from the same Profile and Scene Collection. If you are on Twitch and have a Separate Vod track then another track (usually track 2) will be taken for that as well. So after stream audio track(s) you will only have 4 of 5 audio tracks left to record with, but it sounds like you only need to capture 3 tracks separately? Or maybe 4 if you add in Team Comms too. If so that will still work for you!

Happy Streaming and Recording! :)

Fromthehollow

I was trying out the Source Record Plugin vs. Recording on a 3840x1080 canvas to get 1080p gameplay and 1080p on FaceCam and have more flexibility in editing. Initial testing looked really great, seemed like it was less resource intensive and seemed like I was going to save on file space as even though it spit out 3 files instead of 1 and I was using the same recording settings the 3 files took up less space than the 1 file with the bigger canvas.

However, I did notice that if I switched to my streaming Profile and Scene Collection my FaceCam was not showing any image and I would have to close and reopen OBS Studio to get it to show again. The same thing would happen when switching Profile and Scene Collection back to my Recording ones.

Another thing I noticed is that OBS would often crash when I closed it with the Plugin installed. Didn't seem to affect anything, but not totally sure.

I also encountered other issues after setting the plugin up on my other scenes. The FaceCam worked without issue, however when giving them Identifying Info in the title in the front of the Filename Format (E.G. "FaceCam_" or "Gameplay_" at the front of the filename section) and having the plugin set up on every scene I have I started to have issues with my other sources. If I named them differently like Gameplay_ and DisplayCapture_ etc. then they would all record at the same time when I hit the button, not just the active scene's sources. So when recording in my Games Scene which just has FaceCam and Game Capture I would end up with FaceCam_FileName, GamePlay_Filename, ElgatoCapture_Filename, DisplayCapture_Filename, etc. when it should have only had FaceCam_Filename and Gameplay_Filename. I figured a fix to this would be to just name them all the same and it did only record the active scene's sources then but that file wouldn't work in anything anymore. I was getting a message saying it may be corrupt.

Is there any way to make it so it only records the Active Scene's Source instead of all of them? Also any idea about the FaceCam feed disappearing when switching Profiles and Scene Collections? I'm on Windows 11 with Windows Updates Current as well as the most recent version of my Bios and I'm running OBS Studio 29.0.2. For Hardware I'm running an RTX 4080 and an i7-13700KF. Encoder was set to NVIDIA NVENC HVEC with a recording format of MKV.
So I think I figured out why it was recording other sources when they aren't showing and how to fix it. Pretty sure the Display Capture only recorded because I had forgot to move the source I was trying to record back onto the Canvas after resizing from 3840x1080 to 1920x1080. I named them all differently again and in the properties of the Elgato Capture Card Source I checked the box to deactivate when it's not showing and now it will only record my active sources and no extras. Display Capture doesn't have that option in the properties but it also doesn't record itself anymore when I'm trying to record something else and that thing is actually on the canvas lol.

However, The crashes still continue to be a thing and it did actually randomly crash on me once after I had stopped recording but before I closed it myself. The Webcam not wanting to show again also continues to be a thing, though I'm wondering if I add the source record to my streaming source if that would fix it. It's also not a huge deal I guess, I don't plan on streaming often anymore and it fixes itself after closing and reopening, just seems like it shouldn't need some kind of workaround or fix though.

Technically I could stream and record from the same Profile and Scene Collection, which would be preferable and eliminate that problem. However I'd prefer to not have stream alerts at all while Recording and that along with needing the bigger canvas size (before I knew about Source Record) is why I set up a different Profile and Scene Collection to begin with. I'm thinking I'll end up just setting a mute / unmute hotkey that also hides / unhides the alerts so I can toggle them on and off when I need to. That just leaves the concern with the crashes, it hasn't happened while recording or streaming yet, but that would be a deal breaker for me the first time it does.

I've been using Elden Ring with Max Settings (Minus resolution, I'm monitor capped at 1080p) and Max Ray Tracing settings to test out this plugin and see how using the plugin impacts the system versus recording with a bigger canvas and I notice the gameplay looking and feeling smoother with the Source Record Plugin versus the big canvas and the frame rate counter reflects that too. If OBS wouldn't crash this plugin would be perfect! Definitely feels like a must have if anyone wants to stream and also record that content and have more flexibility in editing and / or just not want alerts, etc. in the recordings.