Omarm

First time in the forum and with OBS. I apologuize in advance if some of the following is too obvious.
I set up OBS in a windows 11 laptop and a RCA to USB video capture adapter very generic (a $12.50 chinese device) to digitalize old VCR tapes.
It captures video input fine, but sound is distorted. Speech sounds kinda ok, but all the background noise and sounds are muted (that includes music, clapping and laughter). Even people singing is distorted. The same happens using Audacity to just record sound.
Capture device show up at Device manager as "AV to USB2.0" at cameras, "USB2.0 MIC" at sound,video and games devices and at Sound Input and output. The installed drivers are those from microsoft, and there are no proprietary drivers for the device (manufacturer is Ele-Gate. Companion CD and website only provide a video capture software which fails in the same way) I disabled built-in microphone and camera to avoid any interference, with no success.
Oddly, everything works fine in an old windows7 notebook, but performance is too slow there.
Has anybody experienced similar issues? Could it be that microsoft drivers in windows 11 got some kind of filter - if the purpose were to stop copying music for copyright compliance, it would be doing a very good job - and full sound copy is not longer available to any windows 11 hardware, and there's no use trying with any adapter? Or I just need to use a better video capture adapter or driver - if so, any suggestion is welcome -.
Thanks in advance