jilliey

{Posting my reply to someone having the issue of audio not coming through OBS here so it is easier for others to find.}
My reasoning for figuring this out was because I wanted to use my laptop as a monitor for Nintendo Switch. OBS is most compatible with my Video Capture Card so I decided to use OBS as more of a media player rather than a means to live stream. I did this for myself: I clicked on 'Profile' at the top of OBS and 'New', gave the profile a name, and selected the option for just recording, not streaming. However you can still use this to get audio from OBS to play back to you while optimizing for streaming and have the playback while streaming. I won't be recording or streaming, this just makes my laptop not have to work as hard trying to optimize for a stream. I'm also using a very cheap Video Capture Card from Walmart for $20 that is amazing. It maybe has a 0.1 second delay on screen, video quality is 1080p HD, and it's cheap! It is a Vivitar Creator Series HDMI to USB Video Capture Card.
1) Add Video Capture Device and Audio Input Capture to a scene.
• When adding Video Capture Device, change your device to whatever you are trying to capture with your capture card. (Our case is USB Video.) Click 'OK'.
• When adding Audio Input Capture, change the Device to Digital Audio Interface (#ofports- USB Digital Audio). [My laptop has 3 ports, yours may have more; if so the #ofports will be different.] Click 'OK'.
2) Look under Audio Mixer and find your Audio Input Capture. Beside the volume adjustment slider, click the gear(settings) button. Select Advanced Audio Properties.
• Once the Advanced Audio Properties tab is opened, find your Audio Input Capture, and find the drop down under Audio Monitoring for your Audio Input Capture.
• Change the drop down from default "Monitor Off" to "Monitor and Output". Click 'Close' to close Advanced Audio Properties. (What you just did will save, don't worry.)
3) Click 'File' in the upper left corner of OBS, then click 'Settings'.
• Once the Settings tab is open, click 'Audio' which is located on the left side listing.
• Locate the Advanced section under the Audio Settings.
• Change your Monitoring Device from 'Default' to whatever device you want sound to come through from OBS. (Example: I have my headphones jacked in so 'Headphones' will come up as an option for a Monitoring Device.)
• Click 'Apply' then click 'OK'.
4) Give your joystick a wiggle and see if you're now able to hear the normal menu settings!

P.S.. You might want to adjust the Audio Input Capture and Desktop Audio volume slider to your liking. The sliders' default is pretty loud.

Sorry this is such a long post! I had been trying to figure this problem out for a couple hours and could not find any complete answers in one so I wanted to be very thorough. If it doesn't work, let me know and I will go through my settings and see if there's anything important changed that I forgot I had changed. Hope this helps! <3

Jan Kees

Hi Jilliey,
I have the same problem and followed your instructions, but without result. I use a video capture card to use my camera EOS M50 as webcam. I receive video, but no sound. I see that many people have this problem. Is there no cure for this?

jilliey

I'm not sure about for camera.. Might have to add a microphone to the scene and follow the steps for the video capture but for microphone instead. Seeing how the camera doesn't pick up your sound the microphone does.

Lawrence_SoCal

Hi Jilliey,
I have the same problem and followed your instructions, but without result. I use a video capture card to use my camera EOS M50 as webcam. I receive video, but no sound. I see that many people have this problem. Is there no cure for this?
Jan, you are NOT using the USB Canon EOS Webcam utility then, right? 'cuz the FAQ on that app clearly spells out not supporting audio
My standard recommendation, due to power, flexibility, and therefore natural complexity, of OBS is to make sure Audio and Video feed working to PC first, then set up in OBS. A large amount of time the issue is not OBS, but the connection and processing by the Operating System

Also, using any camera as a webcam means dealing with each camera's idiosyncrasies. You may have to make changes to the Camera's settings (researching/looking in a Canon M50 forum being the best place to start). Then making sure capture card is working properly, correct drivers and associated settings, etc. There are lots of cheap HDMI capture cards with poor quality and reliability. so ymmv. Make sure you can hear audio via your capture card at the Operating System level. If you can't, it isn't an OBS issue and this forum may not be your best avenue for troubleshooting.

As for OBS and Audio, I found these helpful
As for JIlliey's post
- I disabled all of OBS' Default Audio devices in OBS -> Settings, and then set up as needed Audio Inputs. This avoids audio loop issues, and made things clear (easier) for me. ymmv (this doesn't work for some apps, though there is a new win-audio plugin to address those circumstances). Folks often overlook a Audio Input source goign to Desktop Audio, and added Audio and leave Default Desktop Audio enabled, causing an echo (and then if speakers and mic involved, possible feedback loop)
- For those not aware, under Adv Audio Properties
Monitor = listen locally (often off by default for newly added Audio Input Sources)
Output = send audio signal to Stream/Recording

Last edited:

Pammie85

{Posting my reply to someone having the issue of audio not coming through OBS here so it is easier for others to find.}
My reasoning for figuring this out was because I wanted to use my laptop as a monitor for Nintendo Switch. OBS is most compatible with my Video Capture Card so I decided to use OBS as more of a media player rather than a means to live stream. I did this for myself: I clicked on 'Profile' at the top of OBS and 'New', gave the profile a name, and selected the option for just recording, not streaming. However you can still use this to get audio from OBS to play back to you while optimizing for streaming and have the playback while streaming. I won't be recording or streaming, this just makes my laptop not have to work as hard trying to optimize for a stream. I'm also using a very cheap Video Capture Card from Walmart for $20 that is amazing. It maybe has a 0.1 second delay on screen, video quality is 1080p HD, and it's cheap! It is a Vivitar Creator Series HDMI to USB Video Capture Card.
• When adding Video Capture Device, change your device to whatever you are trying to capture with your capture card. (Our case is USB Video.) Click 'OK'.
• When adding Audio Input Capture, change the Device to Digital Audio Interface (#ofports- USB Digital Audio). [My laptop has 3 ports, yours may have more; if so the #ofports will be different.] Click 'OK'.
2) Look under Audio Mixer and find your Audio Input Capture. Beside the volume adjustment slider, click the gear(settings) button. Select Advanced Audio Properties.
• Once the Advanced Audio Properties tab is opened, find your Audio Input Capture, and find the drop down under Audio Monitoring for your Audio Input Capture.
• Change the drop down from default "Monitor Off" to "Monitor and Output". Click 'Close' to close Advanced Audio Properties. (What you just did will save, don't worry.)
• Once the Settings tab is open, click 'Audio' which is located on the left side listing.
• Change your Monitoring Device from 'Default' to whatever device you want sound to come through from OBS. (Example: I have my headphones jacked in so 'Headphones' will come up as an option for a Monitoring Device.)
4) Give your joystick a wiggle and see if you're now able to hear the normal menu settings!

P.S.. You might want to adjust the Audio Input Capture and Desktop Audio volume slider to your liking. The sliders' default is pretty loud.

Sorry this is such a long post! I had been trying to figure this problem out for a couple hours and could not find any complete answers in one so I wanted to be very thorough. If it doesn't work, let me know and I will go through my settings and see if there's anything important changed that I forgot I had changed. Hope this helps! <3

hi I have follow what you said but still no sound on the OBS I using a video capture card and follow steps from YouTube and what you wrote Down no hope

Greeny

Thanks, Jilliey! I bought the Vivitar hdmi to usb video capture card from Walmart for $19.88. Right out of the box, I followed your instructions to connect a Firestick to my laptop. Worked flawlessly!

pri3st99

This is like 2 years old, but I just wanted to say thank you. I have been racking my brain for 2 damn days. This worked so smoothly. Literally made an account just to type this. Hope you're having a great day.

hunndo

Does this work for mac? Im tryna get audio from my capture card into OBS so I can record videos and stuff. Not good with tech and stuff either so its really racking my brain.

A.L. Baker

No audio from HDMI to USB capture card? This is what worked for me... After configuring the card disconnect the USB & then plug it back in. Your video will freeze but the audio works. Close OBS Studio and then reopen it. Everything should work.

EggyShinobi

EggyShinobi

No audio from HDMI to USB capture card? This is what worked for me... After configuring the card disconnect the USB & then plug it back in. Your video will freeze but the audio works. Close OBS Studio and then reopen it. Everything should work.
on obs studio i connected my usb3.0 hdmi video capture card on switch to pc its working i can play the game also i can hear the games sounds but the problem is i cant hear my self talking why???

Mastamuzz

Nothing worked for me not the OG post or the video where the German guy goes on VLC (vlc threw back an error) what worked for me on windows 10 was to go into audio settings and on input device to use the USB device then go on advance settings and checking "listen to this device" and voila it worked but no mic with this setup though cause you are replacing your input from the mic with the audio from the capture card. hope it helps someone.

thankfulGuy

Nothing worked for me not the OG post or the video where the German guy goes on VLC (vlc threw back an error) what worked for me on windows 10 was to go into audio settings and on input device to use the USB device then go on advance settings and checking "listen to this device" and voila it worked but no mic with this setup though cause you are replacing your input from the mic with the audio from the capture card. hope it helps someone.
I was totally stuck like you, bought and returned 3 devices and i knew i was missing something simple out... made an account here just to thank you thank you thank you. this was driving me crazy i had everything done except the g** d****d listen to this device. all though i found it another location than advance settings ... maybe cause im on windows 11 but yeah thanks again.

chrissylalala

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! The instructions were so clear and it works perfectly! I’m so excited because before I was streaming via remote play through my laptop and it was a bit glitchy (a lot glitchy lol) and now I don’t have to deal with that!