Resource icon

Simple scene switcher 0.6

ThoNohT

Developer
The source and files are available again from Assembla.

Edit2: Original links work again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30350

I briefly looked at GitHub, and it seems like this plugin was merged into OBS. Is it true?

D

Deleted member 30350

Even the old OBS it seems! This is absolutely awesome news.
Is it going to be included as is, or with some additional changes? (I think I proposed something earlier in this thread)

ThoNohT

Developer
Like I said, with some improvements. Since it has been merged with the main repository, some others have started chipping in with user interface improvements.
I removed the match exact option, and added the option to use wildcards at the start and end of the string. Full wildcard support is something I might look at in the future, but I'm not sure how easy that can be implemented. Also, my efforts should at some point switch to creating the same plugin for obs-studio.

D

Deleted member 30350

Ha, can't wait to test it! Hopefully new version of OBS will be released soon.

ThoNohT

Developer
ThoNohT updated Simple scene switcher with a new update entry:

Integrated with OBS - Settings Page - Wildcard matching

OBS 0.65b is out, and with it, the scene switcher is installed automatically with OBS. Running an update should get you the latest version of the scene switcher.

Changes:
- The settings page is no longer found under plugins/configure, but it is a page in the OBS settings.
- Wildcard support has been added: Add a * before the window title to loosely match the start, add a * behind the window title to loosely match the end.

Read the rest of this update entry...

goatmilk

Hi there guys. When I click the "Download Now" Button to download the program, it automatically gives me an OBS installer download and not the plug in. Any help on this?

D

Deleted member 30350

User was warned for this post.
Are you blind or what? The answer is literally less than five centimetres above your post. Next time produce some effort and read before you post.

ThoNohT

Developer
As Octopuss so kindly mentioned. There has been an update to OBS which includes the scene switcher with OBS automatically. If you are not yet on 0.65b, running the updater should get you the plugin without any other required effort.

If you are stuck on an old version of OBS, it is recommended to update anyway. Should you wish to stay on an old version regardless, the download links to the old version of the scene switcher are included in the Resource page, they are hidden in a spoiler at the bottom of the post.

Yurlyn

I also decided to use this but as a catalyst for scene switching hotkeys. I made a transition program that listens to the hotkeys I press but first it starts playing an animation. I'm using the window capture to use it in OBS and I use a background that I key out to get my transparancy. Halfway down the animation, when the scene is no longer visible due to the animation having no color to key, it changes the window title to whatever is appropriate thus prompting the Scene Switcher plugin to switch scenes.

Now this setup works better than I expected and it looks pretty cool besides a few tweaks/fixes in the alpha channel department of my animation. The problem I however is that Scene Switcher only looks for the focussed window's title. So when I am in-game my little program is still working but is not getting picked up.
I looked in the source code hoping to find a fix and I believe I've found the culprit. I believe it was the main cpp file for the plugin where it checks if the window title matches a criteria to switch or if the scene is not matching a valid window title it switches to the correct one. I tried to change the code a bit but then I had to build it and I got a few missing file errors which I fixed until the OBSApi.lib file which I couldn't find. Plus Isecretely don't know how to build dll's >.>

So here is my question, can anyone help me with the build and see if I did the correct changes and/or can I request a feature where the Scene Switcher plugin gets an option to look for any window instead of just the focused one by means of a checkmark or something?

Thanks for reading this slightly unnecessary long post :p

ThoNohT

Developer
This is not really the functionality the scene switcher was originally intended for. Though, possible extensions like switching based on timers or switching based on the contents of a file are possible extensions that come to mind, your suggestion appears to be switching based on the title of a specific window. I personally won't be adding this though, but you are free to extend it or to fork the code and make your own plugin to do exactly what you want, of course. In the latter case, do make sure to use a unique name and use a unique config file.

Regarding building the plugin: Please note that scene switcher is now included in the OBS repository, so it's not much use trying to build the svn repository of scenesw, as it is outdated anyway. Other than that, compiling a dll really isn't different from compiling an executable.
This forum has compile instructions for the original OBS. If you check this out, you will find the scene switcher project included with it. Compiling the obs-all solution then also compiles the dll.

Yurlyn

I've got a workaround for it. I am using Roccat Powergrid for both my laptop and my gaming pc. I have two phones for that, the old phone I use for my laptop and it just controls my Winamp (I use my laptop to play my music) and also is able to start Chatty and my own OBS overlay dashboard thing with which I can control the texts in my OBS.
My current phone is used to switch scenes, start and stop streaming and mute my mic on OBS while also being able to control TeamSpeak's audio output profile so I can mute TS on the stream (desktop audio) while "secretely" still hearing everyone on my headset. I'm using macro's in Powergrid to switch scenes (ctrl+numpad number).

I was fiddling around to get my transitions to work until I smacked myself in the head. I changed my transition program (the one from the previous post) to only use ctrl+numpad 9 to show the transition. Then changed all the scene changing macro's in Powergrid (that went from 0 to 6 on the numpad) to first press ctrl+numpad 9, wait for a few milliseconds and then press the actual combination to change the scenes. This works well for my purposes so far. The programs don't take that much resources so it's all good.

Thanks for the answer though. Here you can see my transition in action http://www.twitch.tv/yurlyn/b/640983316?t=6m50s. I'm explaining it a bit there but Twitch.tv music policy killed the sound unfortunately. You can tell it's switching scenes because of the little fade on the (global source) texts at the top and bottom of the screen. The text also gets pushed back a couple of pixels when it switches because of OBS's handling of them.

DrumReach

This is amazing and it helps alot, but for a music producer like me, if i want to stream production, same program with two screens, how can i have the monitor capturing switch depending on my mouse location?
Thanks

ball2hi

@ThoNohT
I hardly used scene switching... but I feel OBS' built in scene-switcher is pretty minimal compared to this current plugin.

First off, this one doesn't even have a "Partial match of title" feature. So I can't type "PSD" and hope that it'll pick up my ever-changing process name that has PSD in it.

ThoNohT

Developer
@ball2hi, it is actually just a continuation of the scene switcher. The only thing that was removed is indeed partial matching, However this was replaced by wildcard matching.

You can currently put a * at the front and/or the end of the string to make it match just the end, just the start or anything in the middle of the string.

@DrumReach, This is something i have been thinking about too. I'm not sure if it should be part of this scene switcher, but generally, a plugin that switches scenes based on the location of the mouse cursor should be possible. I might dive into it if I create the scene switcher for obs-studio, but for the old OBS, I don't have the time to invest in that, sadly.

Shoklan

So, at this point I'm now losing my mind and starting to get irritated.

I've got two scenes: Game Over and League. And, I want it to switch to Game over when the League Window doesn't exist anymore. So, I started up League in a bot game so I could get the title of the window. I used the pull down to select the window that I want to check for. I set up, turn on the settings, and it switches to Game Over. After checking around I saw that it's supposed to let you use wildcards. So, I tried matching it with "L*" so that it looks for anything starting with L.

I turn it on and it auto switches to Game Over again. League of Legends is open on my first monitor. It should be matching and it's not. I've turned off Antivirus and everything running but OBS and League of Legends assuming that something was intercepting it. Still the same problem.

Can anyone think of something maybe I've missed?

Attachments

• scenes.jpg
    scenes.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 188
  • window select.jpg
    window select.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 187
  • wildcard.jpg
    wildcard.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 178

ThoNohT

Developer
Note that it has to be the active window. If you have it open on another window, but are working in OBS, it wil match OBS, and not the league client.

An easy way is to see if there are any other problems is to try to switch on notepad or calc, and just switch from and to those windows, it should switch scenes accordingly. If this works, then switching to League should also work.

Shoklan

That did the trick. Thanks! Now I just need to figure out why Killing Floor's Window isn't being detected in Scene Switcher.

bertieb

Not sure whether this is the right place for such a thing since this is now integrated plugin functionality, but here goes!

Would it be possible to adapt the automatic scene switcher to switch a scene based on process à la game capture, in addition (or in place of) title matching? I realise this was originally conceived around situations like LoL - which I'm not familiar with - and I've seen a few mentions of not the intended use of this plugin in other scenarios which I guess this is too.

My intention is to automatically switch to a scene based on whatever game I'm playing, as I've had a couple of PEBKAC moments when I've switched game but not scene and as a result have been treated to a black video recording. It would be nice to automate away remembering these things. The issue arose as a result of the 2009 Unreal Engine game Killing Floor setting a blank window title. I had a look at window title renamers, but most seem to be manual with little in the way of automation; and in any case KF/Unreal seems to reset any changes made.

I feel like I am missing something in the standard OBS workflow as this must crop up for other people who stream or record, if so please point it out.

Thanks in advance :)